Search for content in message boards

Help finding "Parentalia" a manuscript by John William BURGON - Dean of Chichester

Help finding "Parentalia" a manuscript by John William BURGON - Dean of Chichester

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 4:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Feb 2013 3:25PM GMT
Hello

I'm not sure where to list this query, so here goes in the hope that someone out there may have an idea of where to go next!!

I have a relation in my tree (John William Burgon - Dean of Chichester.) Fortunately for me he has written quite extensively and was a public figure, so I have been able to find out quite a lot about (one side) of the family.(mothers side) However some of the family on his fathers, fathers side remain a bit of a mystery.

During my own research I found he wrote (amongst other things) a personal research document which he called "Parentalia" which was a genealogy document(s). I have not so far been able to find a copy of it.

Any ideas anyone? It's so frustrating to know that this collection of my families past exsists somewhere out there and not be able to find it.

Thank you
Fay M
PS I live in Australia, so person visits to Archives etc are out of the question - on-line resources would be good.

Re: Help finding "Parentalia" a manuscript by John William BURGON - Dean of Chichester

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 12:39AM GMT
Sometimes with a public figure such as this they deposit their papers with an organisation they are associated with upon their death. I can't guarantee a family thing such as this "Parentalia" would be amongst academic or theological papers, but it is possible.

In his case, if he did this, it would probably be a church or university body he was associated with. You might try starting with the authorities at Chichester Cathedral. No idea if they would spare the time to look.

You may be aware that there is a John Burgon Society in the US. They appear to be Biblical literalists, more interested in theology, but they may know something about other papers.

Re: Help finding "Parentalia" a manuscript by John William BURGON - Dean of Chichester

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 4:20AM GMT
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my message. I have since contacted the Chichester Cathedral but they do not have a copy. I was quite blown away by the fact that they actualy took the time to not only look, but contact me back quite promptly. They suggested I contact the British Library which I have done (haven't heard back yet)

I was aware of the John Burgon Society in the US, but haven't contacted them yet............probably my next port of call!

Thank you once again, I appreciate your input.

Regards, Fay. M.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 2:32AM GMT
Go to WorldCat.org and enter the title and author to see which libraries have it. They may be able to copy or scan it for you, for a fee.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 4:27PM GMT
Thank you. I did not know of this web-site. Have not so far found the manuscript I am looking for, but there is so much other info there that I'm sure it will be a valuable rescource. I have found references to the the article (Parentalia) in some of the biographies about John William Burgon from the site, so I know it's out there somewhere! Really appreciate your help

Best wishes
Fay.M.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions