Searching for descendants of David James ARMSTRONG (born abt 1809 Ireland - died 1866 Trout River Lines, Franklin Co., New York).
David came to old Beauharnois County, Quebec from County Tyrone, Ireland with his father, David John Armstrong, who served in the Royal Artillery and retired to Quebec with his wife Mary Ann and 6 children in 1817.
David John Armstrong, the artilleryman, became a farmer and part-time Methodist preacher in Godmanchester after his retirement from the military. His name is seen in various Quebec records as "David," "David J." and "John." He is mentioned in Sellar's 1888 history and interviews with local residents ("The History of the County of Huntingdon and of the Seigniories of Châteauguay & Beauharnois," 1888). He and his wife Mary Anne -- also a native of County Tyrone, Ireland -- were buried in the old Methodist burying ground at Ormstown.
David James ARMSTRONG, son of David the Royal Artilleryman, married Mary Anne WAGGONER in 1843 at the Methodist Church in Godmanchester. Details of their original marriage record include:
"David James Armstrong of the Township of Godmanchester, Bachelor, and Mary Ann Waggoner of the same place, Spinster, were united in the holy bonds of matrimony after the publication of banns on the seventeenth day of January in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty three in the presence of the subscribing witnesses."
We haven't yet found David James Armstrong with wife Mary Anne Waggoner and children in any census of Canada or the U.S., although their children's baptisms indicate that they were living in the Godmanchester area in the 1840s-1850s. David died in 1866, and his widow Mary Anne was living in New York in 1870 and Iowa in 1880.
Their children, according to HOLCOMBE and WAGGONER family genealogies and D.A.R. membership data, as well as Methodist Church baptismal records, were:
1. William ARMSTRONG - birth date unknown, no baptismal record found.
2. Elena ARMSTRONG - b. abt 1844 in Vermont or Canada; no baptismal record found. Married Hyard O. COUCH and in 1880 was living with him in Warren Co., Iowa. Her mother Mary A. Armstrong was living with them.
3. Harriet Mary ARMSTRONG - b. 1845 and baptised in Godmanchester, Huntingdon Co., Quebec. Married James BIRKETT of Ontario in 1867; was living with him and son Cecil (only known child) in Ottawa in 1871 census. Harriet died in 1890 in Ottawa.
4. David John ARMSTRONG - b. 1847 and baptised in Godmanchester, Huntingdon Co. Married Cecilia Webster GARRICK in 1873 in Grand Rapids, Kent Co., Michigan. Their children were born in Michigan, Illinois & Minnesota. Where are descendants today?
5. James Henry ARMSTRONG - b. 1851 & baptised in Godmanchester, Huntingdon Co.
6. Wallace ARMSTRONG - b. abt 1854 in Canada, living with widowed mother in 1870 census in Franklin Co., New York. His father was noted "of foreign birth" in this census, another indication that David James Armstrong was born in Ireland.
David James Armstrong and his wife Mary Anne Waggoner are buried in Riverside Cemetery, Westville, Franklin Co., New York, where their tombstones tell us:
David J. ARMSTRONG - Died March 10, 1866 aged 55 yrs
Mary A. - His Wife Died April 11, 1881 aged 56 yrs
If you are a descendant of this family, or have any information on David James Armstrong and his extended family, I'd be very glad to hear from you.
anniecrenshaw at centurytel.net