Search for content in message boards

COBB IN ALABAMA

COBB IN ALABAMA

Posted: 4 Oct 2002 3:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Oct 2002 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: COBB
Looking for info on:
George Washington Cobb, born 5/24/1865, died 11/30/1907 in a mine explosion in Alabama (buried in Jefferson County, Linn Crossing Cemetery). He was marred to Frances Morrison and had 3 children: John Adams, George Thomas, and Nancy Mary Tine Cobb. After being widowed, he married Maggie ??? and had one child, Clarence Vernell Cobb before dying in a mine explosion. C. V. Cobb is my grandfather and he was born in Empire, Alabama. He was later raised by his half-brother, George Thomas Cobb. Would desperately like to know where the line goes from George Washington Cobb (I think he may have been from Madison County). I've hit a brick wall.

Re: COBB IN ALABAMA

Posted: 14 Oct 2002 10:33PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2004 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Cobb, Vann, Lanier, Christian
I believe your George Washington COBB may be the George b1865 son of Adams A. COBB b.ca.1832 AL on the 1870 census of Madison Co. AL. Adams wife is Nancy Marytine VANN Cobb. Adams' father is John COBB b.ca.1802 NC m. Linea LANIER. I'm looking for father to John COBB 1802 - possible Stephen John COBB son of William Benjamin COBB m. Barsheba WHITEHEAD. My line descends from George W. COBB's older brother John b.ca.1852 m. Mary CHRISTIAN.

Posted: 13 Jan 2003 9:26PM GMT
Yep John that married Linne Lanier was son of Stephan John cobb {D. 1825 buried byrd cem Madison co.} and Nancy LNU

Posted: 23 Jan 2003 2:12AM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2004 1:42AM GMT
Wayne - I'm so glad for the information that Stephen John COBB is indeed the father of John COBB b.1802 and that he is buried in the Byrd cemetary Madison Co. AL. Can you direct me toward proofs of this parentage and do you know if the Byrd cemetary is on line? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2003 2:43PM GMT
PLEASE, people...there is NO evidence anywhere that this man was named Stephen John Cobb!!!!!

The only thing we know is that his wife was named Nancy ??? with no known surname. And we know from court documents what the names of some of the children were. There may have been more children but we know nothing that can be proved as to what this man's name was. It's more likely than anything else that his name was either William or John but extremely unlikely that his given name was ever Stephen! Can we please stop printing anything that says that his name was anything else? I know that this name came from a guess of mine....now it has taken on a life of it's own. When I'm dead and gone, who is going to take the effort to post corrections to this error?

wayne cobb (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2003 5:52PM GMT
OK Lorene, Betty may be right. But that John whether Stephen John or not was my GG Grand paw and is still buried in byrd cementary, along side many more Cobbs. He died in 1825. Im late gettin back with this.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions