Search for content in message boards

elgin presbyterian cemetery look-up

elgin presbyterian cemetery look-up

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 1:13AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Moore, Boyd, Smith
Hello from Alberta! Is there anyone in the area who would be able/willing to do a look-up in the Elgin Presbyterian cemetery for me (once the snow is gone!)? I have the names of the people I'm looking for and their birth/death dates. Would like to know what, if anything, besides names and dates is inscribed on the gravestone. Thanks very much.

Re: elgin presbyterian cemetery look-up

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 12:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Have you been to this site? The people you are looking for might be listed.
Dave
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=...

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 1:23PM GMT
Link to Elgin Presbyterian church cemetery list:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qchuntin/cemetery/elgin/in...

Most entries include an image of the headstone. I suspect this might be relevant:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~qchuntin/cemetery/elgin/el...

Check out the rest of the Huntingdon County GenWeb site while you're there.

Just curious, do you have any Shearer connections by any chance? Some of the Elgin-area Shearers moved out to Edmonton in the early 1900s.

Posted: 11 Mar 2013 4:18PM GMT
smithd214 and jl350 - thank you for your responses.

Both links have been very helpful. Having found the gravestone I was looking for, I find I can't read the entire inscription on one of the stones! It's the stone for William Moore and Elizabeth(Boyd) Moore.

I believe the last sentence reads "Natives of ......", but the last word is unreadable. I'd love to know if the last word is, perhaps, Scotland or Ireland? Wondering what you think it might read. I've hit a brickwall with William and knowing what that word reads might open a new lead to pursue. Anyway, thanks for your help.

jl350 - I don't have any Shearer connections, but I do live close to Edmonton, if there is any research I can do for you there, just let me know. :D

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 9:30AM GMT
Glad to help, and I sympathize. I have an identical situation with another headstone in that cemetery. Going to the cemetery didn't help -- "my" inscription is weathered past the point of legibility.

Thanks for the kind research offer. I think I have a pretty good handle on the family -- I was just curious if we possibly shared a family connection.

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 6:29PM GMT
I checked the gravestone photo and it definitely says "Natives of Scotland".
Dave

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 9:45PM GMT
Dave - thanks so much! I thought it might read Scotland since there are Scottish thistles depicted near the top of the stone. There is conflicting information on the census's I have found. Some list Scotland, some list Ireland as the land of birth....knowing what the headstone reads makes it much more likely that Scotland is their homeland. Time to delve into the Scottish records. :D
Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions