Search for content in message boards

Isaac Carpenter - Ohio

Isaac Carpenter - Ohio

Mike Turner (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2001 5:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carpenter
I am looking for Isaac Carpenter born about 1826 who married Sarah Jane Brown in Noble County, Ohio on 14 Jul 1853. They had at least 5 children; Mary, Silas, Amanda, Isaac and Sarah. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Isaac Carpenter - Ohio

Posted: 7 Oct 2001 2:41PM GMT
Edited: 14 May 2002 12:21PM GMT
Isaac Carpenter, born 15 May 1826, died 21 Feb 1905, married on 14 Jul 1853 in Noble Co. OH to Sarah A. “Sally” Brown, was a son of Richard Carpenter, born 21 Oct 1800, died 29 Dec 1863, married first c1822 to Mary Carpenter, second on 14 Oct 1832 to Hannah M. McMurray -- there is a book on this family -- contact me if this is the right connection.

Posted: 29 Nov 2003 5:59PM GMT
Hi Mike,
I don't know if you're still searching for any info on this but my mother brought me some papers from my deceased grandmothers bible. One of the notes states this....Isaac Carpenter was born May 15, 1826 Died Feb. 19, 1905. Wife Sarah Brown was born Apr. 12, 1835 Died June 19, 1907. Written under that is....William Silas Carpenter born Feb. 23, 1856. A son?
My great-grandmother was Iva May Carpenter. I believe that Isaac and Sarah were her grandparents but not sure. Contact me if you like. I may have a little more info you could use. : )
Margaret

Terry Willis (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2004 11:09PM GMT
I have info on the Carpenter's you are looking for, also the Stottler Family. Please contact me at Terry.Willis@verizon.net

Kathryn Peters (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2004 4:52PM GMT
It's been a while since your message was posted but I have some info that may interest you. Isaac Carpenter (May 15, 1826 - Feb 12, 1905) is buried in the Carpenter cemetery in Noble county. A relative of mine was up there in 1969 and transcribed a number of the stones left standing. The cemetery is apparently in a cow pasture and was not fenced off to protect the stones... I have his directions to the cemetery, and between that and a trip to the land records office for Noble Co. to find the names of the current property owners, you could doubtless locate the cemetery pretty easily. Let me know if you are interested.

I'm descended from Robert Carpenter, Isaac's father Richard's brother, who was married to Mary McMurray/McMurry, the sister of Hannah McMurray, Richard's second wife (not sure if she was the mother of all/any of Richard's children). I can give you some info on Isaac's grandparents and both the Carpenter and McMurray aunts and uncles.

Hope this helps.
--Kathryn

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 4:54PM GMT
Hi--
How far back does the family Bible go? Does it have information on Isaac's family only, or does it list previous generations? I'd love to see a scanned copy if it is possible. Please e-mail me or post here to let me know!

Thanks!
--Kathryn

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 5:22PM GMT
Hi--
I'm very interested to find out more about the book concerning the Carpenter family. Could you e-mail me or post the title/author/publisher information?

I have a good compilation done by John Ogden of Alexandria, Virginia, but I never heard of him publishing the material, just putting together notebooks for the known branches of descendants of Robert Carpenter. I'm willing to share if there is anything there that didn't get covered in the book!

My line goes back through Hannah Carpenter Gibson, her father Robert Carpenter (and mother, Mary McMurry), and his parents Joseph Carpenter of Hanover Germany--who fought in the Revolutionary War--and Sinah Gillespie/Gillaspy of Virginia (now West Virginia).

I'd like to find out more background on this line. For example, when did Joseph emigrate from Germany, what were his parent's names and Sinah's parent's names, what were the names of their grandchildren from branches other than Robert's and Richard's? -- I have lots of siblings listed on each generation (Robert was the oldest of 14, Hannah was the eighth of 16 and had 10 children of her own) but not a whole lot about their descendants. I'd like to get the details, as some of the descendants are "double cousins" through the McMurry sisters who married Carpenter brothers. (Robert married Mary McMurry, Richard married Hannah McMurry... and Joseph married Martha McMurry. Although Martha may have been a cousin or widowed sister-in-law rather than sister...I haven't found her birth record yet.)

Please let me know! Thanks!
--Kathryn

Terry (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2004 10:26PM GMT
The book on this family line from Germany to MD, VA, and OH is "A Carpenter Genealogy, A Compilation of Data on John Carpenter, c1736-c1796 and Some of His Descendants" by Lyle C. Sharp and Frances E. Stoner, published by Family History Publishers, Bountiful, UT, 1996, 724 pp. This is the best published record of the family I'm aware of. I may have an address for one of the authors to order from -- will e-mail that if you need it.

There may be erroneous information on the internet about Joseph Carpenter who married Sinah Gillaspy -- Joseph was born 20 Feb 1771 in western MD or VA. His father John immigrated from Germany, and may have fought in the Revolutionary War.

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 3:39PM GMT
Hi, Terry--
Thanks for the title of the book. I'm anxious to find a copy and read up.

I was aware that some of the information out there was probably erroneous, but the errors pre-date the internet if we assume Joseph wasn't born in Germany and didn't serve in the Rev. War.

For example, the 1880 census for Robert Carpenter (the only child of Joseph who lived past that date, that I am aware of or could locate) lists his mother's (Sinah's) birthplace as "Vir." and his father's (Joseph's) as "Hanover Ger". Granted the Ger is written small and above the line to squeeze it in, but appears to be the same handwriting. I always wondered if Joseph were born in Hanover County, VA...

Also, the DAR's Official Roster of the Soldiers of the American Revolution Buried in the State of Ohio (1929) lists Joseph's grave in Noble County. They attribute 3 terms of service to him in the Virginia Militia (VA Continental Lines, I've seen published elsewhere). Even if he were born in about 1760, as was published in an article in the Journal-Leader (Caldwell, OH) from 1979, it would still make him VERY young to have served in the Rev. War--only 16 in 1776...

A History of Noble County, Ohio (pub. 1889, I think, don't have the pub info in front of me) says that Robert Carpenter, son of Joseph Carpenter, an early settler of Seneca Township, located on Seneca Fork of Will's Creek, prior to 1812. Now the family Bible (not in my possession) said Robert was born 3 Nov 1796, which would make him under 16 at the time he was supposed to have settled there. Plus, according to his marriage record, he didn't marry until 1821, so probably didn't strike out on his own quite so young. So clearly this Robert must be the son of Someone Else, not Joseph. Also, Joseph's brothers settled in Seneca Twp.; Joseph and family settled in Williamsburgh (Batesville) and in Beaver Twp.

I'll admit, much that is on the web/internet does perpetuate these problems. I haven't found any decent answers there either. And the Carpenter family tradition of naming one's children after one's siblings, aunts and uncles, etc. is awfully confusing as to what generation is being discussed at any given time.

I hope this book can straighten out the tangle and give me clues on primary source docs.

Thanks for the reference!
--Kathryn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic