Search for content in message boards

Schenk - West Virginia, USA

Schenk - West Virginia, USA

Posted: 6 Feb 2006 2:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Nov 2012 2:53PM GMT
Surnames: Bertschy Schenk Roser
I'm looking for info on a Schenk family from Wheeling, WV area. I believe that Frederick Schenk was the first to come over from Germany. His daughter, Catharina Barbara SCHENK, married Michael BERTSCHY before coming from Germany to the Wheeling area.

Thanks,
RON C

Re: Schenk - West Virginia

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 3:47AM GMT
Albert F. Schenk from Wheeling, WV was my great great grandfather. I am curious to know what information you found. I do not know much other than they were from Hamburg and had a meat packing factory in Wheeling. I tried to access your website that you listed under another post but it did not work.

Thanks,
Natalie

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2011 12:32AM GMT
I am the great great great grandson of John O. Schenk. I was looking for information that would tell me where he came from, what year he was born, and while I was looking for this information I found a copy of his death record. When I saved the document in snagit 9 I cut off half of the page but it still list Feb, 1905 as his year of death. It also listed him as a meat packer as his occupation. He had a sister named Louisa who married Dr. H. M. Haskins. He owned a small hospital in Wheeling, WV. I am pretty sure Albert was John O. Schenk's brother. I remember going to Albert Schenk III's house when I was less than 10 years old and was told that he was my third cousin.

This is a link to his death record.
http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_dcresults.aspx?LastName=Sche...
copy the 3 lines into the address bar and press enter and it will take you straight to the book where deaths were recorded. It does not list relatives. I wonder if his death notice is listed in the Wheeling Paper Archives for that week. Feb 14th, 1905. That should provide some clues to his roots.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

George Minton
georgeminton@comcast.net

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 11:58AM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2012 12:05PM GMT
Surnames: Schenk

George, the information you seek is all there in the death record of John Otto Schenk. Your gggrandmother, Virginia, is listed as the informant. John's birthday of December 18, 1861 (I questioned that date but don't remember why)and death on November 22, 1942 are there as well as his parents' names and where they were born. Bonanza! Check that wvculture link again. There is also a lovely picture of John as well as an impressive shot of the Schenk meat packing plant among google images if you are interested. John was more than a meat packer. He was a very important man. You and I are related through his wife, Laura. If I can help you further, please let me know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions