Search for content in message boards

Launton Reeves to US 1920s

Launton Reeves to US 1920s

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 1:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Reeves
Hi I'm descended from Richard Reeves b. 1766/Mary Evans b. 1777 down his son Thomas b.1791 line. I'm particularly interested in the whereabouts of Thomas's grandsons Alfred b. 1866 and Reuben b. 1872 who are believed to have emigrated to the US in the early 1900's. Also Walter b. 1864 believed to have emigrated to Australia (opal mine?) and Norman the youngest b. 1880 who cared for his parents in Hull until they passed away and he then joined the White Star shipping line about 1912. I have all the family lines along the way but everything stopped after 1901 when relatives started emigrating. Have you any modern history on this family (parents Henry b. 1838/Caroline Cox b. 1835) please? One of these brothers is believed to have managed an American comedian.thanks Di Aitchison (nee reeves)

Re: Launton Reeves to US 1920s

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 3:03PM GMT
Oh my, you should check the Ellis Island data base, which you can search for free. There is Alfred Reeves, returning to the USA, going to Charles Chaplin, Los Angles CA. He says he was in the USA before in 1914.

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 3:04PM GMT
I forgot to mention the arrival was 12/24/1917.

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 3:14PM GMT
Oh WoW!! and I thought my mum was romancing!! Thank you so much for your very helpful reply. I 've never been to the Ellis Is site before and should have thought of it earlier. I sometimes pick up sailings from Ancestry Incoming passengers on several of that generation so I'll see what else I can find.

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 3:32PM GMT
If you Google Charles Chaplin and Alfred Reeves, you will find some items. One tells that Alfred had a brother Billy. You can also find Billie/Billy Reeves on Ellis Island, arrived several times. He gives his year of birth from 1866-69. According to one manifest, Billy says his mother was Ellen Reeves, so I hope you are still able to connect to this family.

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 6:57PM GMT
Thanks again for the pointers. I'm not too sure whether these are our Reeves or not as each generation had their formal names and their family names and there is another brother Montagu b. 1868 who might have married Ruth Camm before emigrating but can't find them yet either! and Walter b. 1864 unaccounted for too. My mother definitly thought that one of them managed an American comic from the Charlie Chaplin era. I could just about imagine their mother Caroline being Ellen and maybe Montagu being Billy or maybe Walter but maybe that's just wishful thinking. I can't find anything much at all about the manager Alfred mentioned so much in the Chaplin info but there are some tenuous pointers that suggest there might be a connection.

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 11:52PM GMT
Did your Alfred have a middle initial? The Alfred who managed Charlie Chaplin seems to have a middle initial J, this taken from the ship's manifest of his wife Clara Amy Reeves, returning 12/11/1918, to her husband A.J. Reeves in Hollywood, from her sister Ada Whittaker in Denmark Hill London, 41 Caldecot Rd. She married Alfred Reeves, as Clara Minister, on Jan 4, 1911 in Manhattan NY. She arrived USA Aug 19 1906 as Amy Minister age 15, actress, joining Karno Theatrical. On the 1910 census in Manhattan NY, she is listed as Ammie Minister, 21, actress, a boarder in a home. On the 1920 census in CA, couple is listed as Alfred Reives, 41, Eng, wife Clara Amy 38 Eng, no others listed. An on-line source says that Alfred Reeves died April 6, 1946 in PlayadelRey CA, Los Angeles county.

You would think that someone would have posted some family tree info on some of those names.

Oh, and one more thing. On a ship's manifest for Billie Reeves, 45, arrived 9/28/1912. It is one of the Misfiled manifests, but I managed to find it, Series T715, Roll 1944, Frame 564-565. It doesn't offer up much of anything new, coming from a Mrs. Reeves (no relationship or first name), going to an address on Broadway in NY, no name given. However, it is interesting that he is traveling with a fellow passenger, no relationship noted, but that passenger is Charles COX, 49, married, coming from Mrs. Wagner, going to the same address in NY. Cox was the name you mentioned as the Reeves' mother's maiden name. It could be a coincidence, you never know.

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 4:35AM GMT
"Alfred Reeves died April 6, 1946 in PlayadelRey CA, Los Angeles county"

Reeves, Alfred, beloved husband of Clara Amy Reeves, cousin of George Reeves of Suffolk, England. Services Wed. at 2:30 p.m. in the Church fo the Recessional. Forest Lawn Mortuary in charge.
Los Angeles Times, Apr 8 1946

Funeral services for Alfred John Reeves, general manager of the Charles Chaplin film studios and personal representitive of the comedian for more than 36 years, will be conducted by Forest Lawn Mortuary at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow in the Church of the recessional. Cremation will follow. Mr. Reeves died at home, 128 Argo St., Playa del Rey, Saturday.
LAT, Apr 9 1946

Reeves, Clara Amy, beloved aunt of Frederick Whitaker. Service 2 p.m. Thursday at Little Church of the Flowers. Forest Lawn-Glendale. Forest Lawn Mortuary.
LAT, Jun 7 1972

Billy Reeves, Comedian, Dies
Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, Dec 29
Billy Reeves, the comedian, a personal friend of Charlie Chaplin, and well known in the United States, died today in the village of North Ixworth, near here, where he was born 79 years ago. Mr. Reeves, who spent many years in the United States, made a number of films.
NYT, Dec 30 1943

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 11:02AM GMT
Thanks so much for all the answers. I think that this Alfred and brother Billy are from another branch of our family so mum was partly right.! 4 generations of Reeves had 10 sons each and some names were repeated on the English Naming patterns (ca.1700-1875)I shall now try and find that branch by going back another generation then sideways. Our Alfred doesn't have a middle name on the Census listings but some of his brothers do and some don't.The info in your postings will be invaluable once again thanks very much for your help.

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 11:10AM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2009 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: Reeves, Cox
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. I've answered another reply stating that this Alfred is from another branch of the family but I was interested to see the name Cox mentioned and I know that there was a connection with Fred Karno in London so it is all getting very exciting!I haven't found a tree for this particular line states-side or in the UK (apart from my cousins'whose is the same as mine and a couple of plunderes with trees of thousands)I have an inkling on who Mrs Wagner might be but I need to do more research. Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions