Search for content in message boards

O'leary family from Ballydehob pre 1830

O'leary family from Ballydehob pre 1830

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 4:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'leary
am trying to find out information on:

O'Leary, Ellin b. 1809 d. Oct. 21, 1889 Saint Lawrence Cemetery Charleston Charleston County South Carolina, USA.

Her brother O'Leary, Daniel b. 1810 d. Oct. 30, 1872 Saint Lawrence Cemetery Charleston Charleston County South Carolina, USA. His tombstone says he was born in Ballydehob.

His brother was my great-grandfather, Jeremiah O'Leary b. 11 Jan 1801 in County Cork, Ireland, he died in York SC 22 April 1850. He married Rose Ann O'Hare 5 Jan. 1831.

A few years ago I found this article mentioning my Great Grandfather, confirming he was Roman Catholic.

"At Yorkville there was for many years but one Catholic man, Hugh McGinnis, who was advanced in years, and, though married, left no children; he was a pious man and died during the war. Jeremiah O'Leary, who married into the O'Hare family, was a good man, and died about 1850. He left many children, whom I instructed in the faith with great pains, and was fully encouraged by their mother, who was not a Catholic. I fear they have fallen away. They were all baptized. .......

From another letter fragment:

15 Oct. 1830, Charleston, Ellen O[']Leary, to Jeremiah O[']Leary, [Yorkville] (mentioning their brother, Dan, recently arrived from Ireland, who needed money in order to travel to Yorkville, and reminding him of his promise made six years earlier upon leaving Ireland—"you brought God to witness that you would be a Father and a protector to me in the Land of strangers".

hints more than welcome

Re: O'leary family from Ballydehob pre 1830

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: o'learys
Hi, im looking for O'learys from county cork,
I dont know if there is any thing linking to these o'learys
as i have not been able to research very far back yet, my great grandmother was Julia O'leary born in 1898, her father was Daniel O'leary born in 1861 he ived at 23 roaches building county cork, he married Ellen coughlan thats as far as i have got at the moment. I plan to try and get hold of their full birth certificates to confirm my info, but i have not heard of Ballydehob so im not sure if they could have been from there, i was just wondering if you know of any other o'learys?

Re: O'leary family from Ballydehob pre 1830

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: O'leary
there are lots, I would love to have some DNA matches that would be helpful.
I lucked out as we found the gravestone of Daniel O'leary, I wrote to the parish in Balleydehob, have not heard anything back
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions