Search for content in message boards

Fitzgeralds of County Cork / Cape Clear?

Fitzgeralds of County Cork / Cape Clear?

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 9:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FITZGERALD, SULLIVAN, CONNOLLY
Hi, I am researching my family history. Anyone who knows anything about Fitzgeralds from Cape Clear Island and County Cork, please let me know if you're familiar with any of these people:

My last name is Fitzgerald, my great grandparents, Patrick Thomas Fitzgerald (born c.1898) and Mary Kate Sullivan (born c. 1897) came to Boston, MA from Ireland around 1924/1925.

Patrick Thomas Fitzgerald's parents were Thomas Fitzgerald and Bridget Fitzgerald (nee Connolly). Patrick's birth certificate states that he was born in "Cork" and that his father was a fisherman. I also heard that the Fitzgeralds were from Cape Clear; the southernmost inhabited point in Ireland.

I used the 1901/1911 Irish census website to try to track him down. I found a "Patrick Fitzgerald" with parents named "Thomas" and "Bridget" from Cape Clear, Co. Cork. The "Thomas" and "Bridget" on the 1901 census had eight children:
"Mary" (10 years old);
"Ellie" (8 years old); "Delia" (6 years old);
"Hannorah" (5 years old);
"Cathorine" (4 years old);
"Patrick" (3 years old);
"Maggie" (2 years old);
"Florence" (a boy, 1 year old).
Seeing that the "Patrick" from this 1901 census was 3 years old at the time, this would put his birthday around 1898, which was my great-grandfather's birthyear. My great-grandfather also named his eldest son (my grandfather's eldest brother) "Thomas", so this would follow traditional Irish naming conventions. My great-grandfather also had a daughter named "Catherine". Then there are many people in mine, my father's, and gradfather's generations that have first or middle names like "Patrick", "Thomas" and "Catherine" (also have a couple of Kathleen's and a Kaitlyn all of whom have the middle name "Mary").

The same family appears in the same place in the 1911 census. Except the census' "Bridget" was listed as the household's head, so I'm guessing that her husband "Thomas" died sometime between 1901 and 1911, probably in Cape Clear or at least County Cork somewhere.

I provided the links to the 1901 census. Does anyone know about this family?
They were at 8 in Ballyieragh North (Cape Clear, Cork) in 1901 and 1911.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Cape_C...

Re: Fitzgeralds of County Cork / Cape Clear?

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 1:39PM GMT
Clear Island Parish in the Poor Law Union of Skibbereen.

try: www.irishgenealogy.ie for church records

this is the only online records for the South-East of Cork, hopefully you will find some there. There is a genealogy office for this area too.

If you wish to have copies of birth certificates after
1864 you can get these through the website
www.groireland.ie

www.familysearch.org

spotted most of the children's names on this website
with their civil registration births but no parents names listed with these.

eg: Patrick Oct-Dec 1898, Skibbereen

Hanora and a Honora and a Hannah

Ellen July-Sept 1892

Florence Oct-Dec 1900

Marriage:

Mary Kate Sullivan April-June 1897 Skibbereen
Vol. 5, Pg. 472 #4193980

there is a match with a Patrick Fitzgerald but no further details. Usually a marriage record comes with only the father's of the bride and groom.

In 1853 there was a valuation of land for taxes it was called the Griffith Valuation. At that time there were 1,021 Fitzgeralds and 5,414 Sullivan's in Cork.
www.askaboutireland.ie Too early for your families but you and see the grandparents or great grandparents.
In 1853 is Edward, Garrett, Stephen & John.

I looked in the Cork Directories, there are a number of Thomas FG but none in Skibbereen.'
1898:
Thomas, farmer Ardnageehy
Thomas, farmer Whiting Bay

There are others as well but most toward Cork City, Lismore Cappoquin a grocer and Modelligo Farmer.

The numbers of both Fitgerald (700) and Sullivan (124) in the current phone book sort of rules out letters. However, I did not go through these looking for the Skibbereen
Carberry West. If you have a good map you could match these up with the area. Too much work for me, needs a family person.

Annette Code

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 1:43PM GMT
If you scroll down the message board back to Nov.21 you will see transcriptions of Clear Island by skibbgirl.

I also forgot a couple of websites for Cork:

www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+Cork
www.igp-web.com + Cork look for gravestone inscriptions and archived materials. Information depends on each County.'
There is however, a contact person for each area which maybe of help.

Annette

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 12:10AM GMT
Patrick is the first son of Thomas FG & Bridget Connelly would of been named after his father or father's father. So I'm guessing that Thomas's father would be named Patrick.

Driving Map: The only one of the above Thomas Fitzgerald's from the Barony of Bear, is Kilcatherine a Parish and a Townland in the Union of Castletown. Castletown is the Union.

Clear Island is in the Union of Skibbereen. Both Castletown and Skibbereen have peninsula's that reach out to the West. I would say a third peninsula of Dingle reaches further to the West that either of the other two.

Ballyieragh is a townland in the Union of Skibbereen, Clear Island Parish, in the Carbery West area.

www.familysearch.org

Thomas FG death registered Skibbereen Jan-March 1910 age 48
birth 1862 based on age given at death. LDS #Vol.5 Pg. 366
#4201708 * (if born in 1862 this would be a parish record
so you can disregard those birth's listed for Thomas above.

Thomas FG death registered Oct-Dec 1908 age 35
birth year 1873 based on age given at death LDS Pg.29 #4201708

Your Thomas was *40 in 1901!

Annette Code

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 8:04PM GMT
The nearest town is Skibbereen & the heritage centre there has a genealogy service. Search Skibbereen heritage centre genealogy.

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 8:08PM GMT
http://www.capeclearmuseum.ie/
The islands museum may help too. Irish tv is currently running a four week tv show about the island. You can watch it on their player. Rte.ie. programme is called Ar An Oileain. It is in Irish (Gaelic) but is subtitled.

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 1:38PM GMT
I know of the family you are speaking of Paddy Fitzgerald has grandnephews and grand nieces living in west cork. His wife Mary Kate Sullivan came from the parish of caheragh. You can contact me at tadhgsnbclon@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions