Search for content in message boards

POTISEK

POTISEK

Melissa Topper (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2001 8:22PM GMT
Looking for information on POTISEK....My great grandfather was Frank POTISEK. He was born in 1885 (exact date varies) in Ljubljana or in a nearby town. His parents were Ignatius and Mary POTISEK. He emmigrated to the US (date unknown), settling in Marianna, PA.

Potisek family

Posted: 16 Mar 2001 12:51AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 5:14PM GMT
Hello!
I am from Slovenija, i live in Litija, this is a town nearby the capitol city Ljubljana. In Litija lives few people which their surname is Potisek. It might be some connection. If you have any questions write to me.
Have a nice day.

Urska

Re: Potisek family

Posted: 23 Mar 2002 4:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Mar 2002 5:56PM GMT
Surnames: Potisek
My Great Grandfather, my mothers mothers father, (according to Ellis Island Immigration records) came from Solvenia/St Martin/Austria. His fathers name was Ignatious and his mothers name was Mary. Franc came to the United States in 1910 at 25 years of age. My mothers fathers people came from Slovenia or somewhere in Austria, their last name is Plahitko but I find no matches for that spelling, grandpa always said Plahitko had other letters that were not English, an ancestry authority said that he thought the name was indeed from Austria and the letters were German/Russian.

I would love to know anything about Franc Potisek or his family there. I know that the man we beleive to be the last male Potisek lays dying in Pennsylvania, my Grandmother and Grandfather are gone and this man is my Great Uncle.
He had a son but he died in his late 20's early 30's as a United States Sheriff. He may have had a son, but I do not know. The name could very well be about to die out here in the United States.

The name Plahitko had lots of male heirs here to carry on the name.

My Grandmother was named for Franc Potisek (her father's) mother "Mary". She said that she remembered something about a young girl (under age 3) that had such a high fever on the ship coming to America that the Captain of the ship instructed she be put into a bag and lowered over the rail down to the ocean, he said the salt water would cure her fever. It did cure it and she lived, I think that may have been Franc's sister, this last bit is highly suspect however as it is all memory both hers and mine.

May God richly bless you and I pray you will respond and have word for me of Potisek's in our homeland.

Katie

Urska (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2002 8:25AM GMT
Hello!
I would be glad to help you, but there is a problem... do you know from which part of Slovenia your ancestors are? Have you ever heard about any city, village? Becouse surname Potisek in Slovenia is spread all over Slovenia so it is hard to track down from which branch of Potisek your ancestors are... so if you have any name it would be much easier. Or the part of Slovenia. In that years when your ggrandfather where born Slovenia was part of Austria, so for the records is it hard to get them... You wrote St. Martin... this in slovenian langugae means Sveti Martin, but now in Slovenia is no city or village with this name...
I will search more about that, if you find out anything new write me soon...
Till then have a nice time.
Urska

Posted: 25 Mar 2002 7:36PM GMT
Edited: 22 Apr 2002 5:25PM GMT
Your Potisek ancestors may have come from the town of Smartno p. Litiji, a few miles east of Ljubljana. Smartno = St. Martin and also has quite a number of Potisek families living there today, in various villages. However, Plahitko is a problem. The closest possibilities would be Plahuta or Plahutnik.

Re: POTISEK

Posted: 30 Mar 2002 4:29AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jul 2002 10:42PM GMT
Surnames: Potisek, Potiseck, Plahytka, Plahitko
This is the same Franc Potisek who is my Great Grandfather
please let me know your connection as we must be related the date is exact. My Grandmother was his daughter her name was Mary Margaret and they went from PA to Girard Illinois where she grew up, then at or around 17 years old she moved back to PA to Duquesne and met my Grandfather and married. Our relatives James (who goes by Dutch, and his wife Sally, which is a nick name I understand, not her real name) live there still, I hear Uncle Dutch is very very ill. I beleive they are the last remaining Potisek's or as they spelt it when my Grandmother was married Potiseck.

Posted: 30 Mar 2002 4:38AM GMT
Surnames: Potisek, Potisek, Plahitko, Plahytka
Thank you for the reply! My Great Grandfather Franc Potisek (later changed to Potiseck) came from Brunadraga Austria Slovienia, St Martin, now I understand all except Brunadraga, I cannot find any information on where this was!

As far as Plahitko, I found my Great Grandmother Barbara Plahytka's passage to America in 1900 she came alone to join my Great Grandfather Janos Plahytka who was already here (can't find any immigration records on him). Later in 1911 an entire family came to America Josef (father) Maryanna (mother) Jan (9 yr old son) and Kataryna (4 yr old daughter) It is Kataryna that I am named after! So I beleive Josef was my Great Grandfathers brother. The church in PA that held all their records burnt a long time ago and no records survived, I remember my family telling me when my Grandfather John Andrew Plahitko moved to Indiana from PA he had to make a trip back to PA to try and get some proof of who he was and it was very hard for him to find anything convincing. They (or at least my Great Grandmother Barbara
was listed as Solveinia/Hungary/Bohemia. Thank you again for your reply!

Posted: 3 Apr 2002 6:15PM GMT
Do you have any kind of official certificate for your great-grandfather Franc Potisek? Brunadraga or variations of that placename, does not get a response on the Slovenian telephone directory. There is only one Potisek in a Draga, which is close to the Croatian border and a fair distance from Smartno.

Regarding your great-grandmother, if her place of origin has variously been given as Slovenia, Hungary and Bohemia, you have a bit of a problem here. Hungary and Bohemia have nothing to do with Slovenia. If she came from this area it is possible that she was from Slovakia. The name for a member of the Slovak or Slovenian nationalities is almost the same in both languages. The only difference is that the Slovenian language does not have the letters 'y' and 'w'. In addition, Slovakia was under the Hungarian part of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy.

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 1:20PM GMT
You have been very helpful! Many thanks for your kind generosity of your time and efforts! My ancestors all settled in Darragh and Duquensne PA here in USA and the Church that held all records burnt. When my family came here to Indiana they had to make a return trip to PA for ANY identifying records to prove who they were and could find nothing, they were finally allowed to be verified by Preist and local authorities. On the Ellis Island site (very helpful) if you look up Franc Potisek it shows him and the only documents we have. This is where I got the Brunadraga from. Also Barbara Plahytka is listed at same site and it shows where they have listed Slovienian with the Hungary and Bohemian, perhaps by giving those a look you may be able to shed more light on your suggestions. I tend to agree regarding my GGGrandmother being from a Hungarian or Bohemian or Slovakian decent rather than Slovenia. Thank you again for your input! I know that Grandpa's heritage of Plahytka does not come from exactly the same area as Grandma's Potisek, they met here in USA in PA so they did not meet in Europe. We know that Janos Plahytka came over to USA but not through Ellis Island or not recorded by them, Barbara his wife came over later by herself (it says to join her husband Janos) and then in 1911 another family of 4 Plahytka came over, I assume they are related since it says they came to join a brother. So Janos brother was Josef. That is all I know so far, not having any US records really has made things tough on our family geneological search. I have made contact with my Grandfather Plahitko (Plahytka) cousin's progeny and their name is Matisko (Matiszku, Matiscku, Matiszka) Does this name help to place the Plahytka name at all? Since they were cousins? Maybe same area? I will look forward to your reply!

Posted: 5 Apr 2002 4:27PM GMT
I checked the Ellis Island site in case there was an error in the transcription from the original manifest. Unfortunately, Brunadraga is on the original. The name does sound familiar, though I cannot place it at this time. It is most likely the German form for a Slovenian placename. However, of interest is the fact that Franc Potisek stated that he was going to his friend Lorenz Kaucic. On line 16 of the same manifest another person stated that they were going to their brother Lorenz Kaucic of Pittsburg. (the same individual and Pittsburg address) This person gave his place of origin as St. Martin. I could not locate the first name of this Kaucic. Rather than try to locate any further data on Franc Potisek (since the most important church records in the US are missing), I would suggest checking the church records for Smartno p. Litiji in the hope that he was born there.

With regards to the Matisko surname and its variations, I tried Matisko and Maticko on the Slovenian telephone directory. The other variations are not Slovenian. There are 6 Maticko in the directory, but no Matisko. I would suggest you try and leave messages for the Plahytka and Matisko (Matiszku, Matiscku, Matiszka) surnames on the Slovak and Czech Republic message boards. You may have better luck there.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions