Search for content in message boards

DONOVAN/CORKARAN from Cork

DONOVAN/CORKARAN from Cork

Posted: 21 Apr 2002 5:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Dec 2003 12:12PM GMT
Surnames: Donovan Corkaran Skeuse
I am seeking any additional info on James DONOVAN and Catherine CORKARAN (married 10 Feb 1831, Inchigeelagh Parish) who lived in Coolmountain Cork ---

Their daughter Mary DONOVAN married Edward SKEUSE 26 Jan 1864 in Cork.
They had at least 3 daughters:
1---Elizabeth (my g-grandmother), born in Drimoleague 26 Nov 1864, married in Brookline Massachusetts in 1899 to Patrick BURNS, of Galway. 3 children/ 3 g-c/ 9 gg-c/ 10 ggg-c
2---Mary Frances "Frannie" or "Fannie" was born in England in 1873. She married Granville TYLER in New Hampshire in 1910. No children.
3---Teresa was born 1874 and died in 1951 in Massachusetts. No children.

Mary DONOVAN later married again, this time to John Skeuse. They had one daughter Esther Skeuse.

Any further background on James Donovan or Catherine Corkaran would be greatly appreciated-------
Thanks!
Beth

Re: DONOVAN/CORKARAN from Cork

Mary Beth Skeuse (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2003 6:00PM GMT
Surnames: Skeuse
Hi,Beth,
I see some familiar names in your post. My grandfather who died sometime in the early sixties(when he was around 80)was John Skeuse also. He was born in Ireland in County Cork then emigrated to Bayonne,NJ. He married Ellen Harrington and they had eight children the oldest of whom was my father Edward. He had sisters Esther and Mary. We must be related somehow.
I don't know much about the Skeuses because I was closer to the Hannon side of my family. Good luck searching. Mary Beth(actually Mary Elizabeth, but I never use that name)

Skeuse family

M Burns (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2003 6:28PM GMT
Surnames: Skeuse Skuse
Hi Mary Beth---It's great to hear from you! I have had your family of John and Ellen in my sights from the time I found them in the census---as you noted, the names in the family are so much the same......Since I did the last posting, I've come across quite a bit of other info on my Skeuse/Skuse family. My g-grandmother was the eldest of 9 or 10 children, all born in Drimoleague, Co. Cork. She also had quite a few close cousins in Drimoleague. Do you know your grandfather's father's name? Did he marry in Ireland or New Jersey? Also, as a long-shot, did your grandmother Ellen die in 1937? (I am in search of a "Mrs. John Skeuse" who died in 1937 as she is mentionned in a letter from my great-aunt Esther.)
Beth (technically Maureen Elizabeth)

Re: Skeuse family

Posted: 19 Jun 2003 1:40PM GMT
Hi,Beth,
Good hearing from you too. Maybe we can solve the mystery of the similar names in our families.
I'm fairly sure that my gradmother did die in 1937. I was born in '53 and she had been dead a long time before that. My parents married in '37 and she was at the wedding, but she probably died shortly afterward.I believe she was only 51 at the time.She had minor surgery and her lung collapsed I'd heard.
My father was born in 1907 and he was christened Edmund although he later changed it to Edward. The other sons were Thomas, Francis, and John-only the first two made it to adulthood. I don't know my great grandfather's first name, but I'll bet it was one of those.
I don't know where my grandparents married but both were born in Cork. I knew Ellen's sisters:Julia, and twins Norah and Sarah(Harrington)-all had brogues that were as thick as could be but not as pronounced as my grandfather's-I could barely understand him.
Wish I knew more, but I was closer to my mother's side of the family who thought the Skeuses were a bit shanty for their tastes. My mother was an only child , so that should give you some idea.
I'd love a copy of the census that list their names if you have it on file.
Good luck in your search. Mary Beth

Posted: 20 Jun 2003 8:07PM GMT
Edited: 24 Dec 2003 12:12PM GMT
Here's the info from the 1930 census---it matches with your grandmother's death date being late 1937 since she died at age 51 and is 43 in ths 1930 census. Your father's birth year looks off. I will see what I have for the 1920 census and get that to you too.

My gg-grandfather Edward had a brother John who moved to Australia where he married a Catherine Beamish.

A distant cousin (descended from my ggg-grandfather Nathaniel's sister Mary) wrote that he has a "John" listed as an additional son for Edward Skeuse and Mary Donovan (I only have the baptismal records of 2 boys: Nathaniel and Edward)....perhaps that will be the connection between our families....I would love to see the wedding cert with John's father's name listed....In any event, I will be in Ireland next month & will see if I can find a birth record....Beth

1930 US Census, 1st ward of Bayonne, NJ
Skeuse, John 48. head. owns the house which is valued at $4,000. does not own a radio set.
married at age 27. born in Ireland, Irish speaker.
became a US citizen in 1907. fireman at a school.
Ellen 43. wife. married at age 22.
born in Ireland, Irish speaker. citizen in 1907.
Edward 20. son. single.
born in New Jersey. laborer for an oil company.
Mary 18. daughter. single.
born in New Jersey.
Helen 16. daughter. single.
born in New Jersey.
Thomas 12. daughter. single.
born in New Jersey.
Esther 10. daughter. single.
born in New Jersey.
Agnes 8. daughter. single.
born in New Jersey.

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 12:59PM GMT
Thank you,Beth!
That is definitely my father's family. My father was known to shave a few years off his age. He was in his forties when I was born, so he may not have wanted to sound too old, God love him.
He did work during college painting tanks for an oil comany and all his siblings' names are correct. He later became a school principal in Bayonne.
Coincidentally his younger sister Mary married a man named Jimmy Donavan and became Mary Donavan also.
Thank you for all the information. Mary Beth

M Burns (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2003 9:29PM GMT
Surnames: Skeuse Skuse Donovan
Hi Mary Beth---With the help from another person looking into Skuse history, I think that we may have located your grandfather's birth record. There’s a John Skeuse who seems to fit----he was born on February 16, 1881 in Butlersgift, Drimoleague. His parents were Edward Skeuse and Ellen Brien. His godparents were Patrick Brien and Hanora McCarthy.

His grandparents (i.e. Edward’s parents) were Thomas Skeuse and either Mary or Norry McCarthy (the handwriting is tough---). I think (but am not yet 100% sure) that Thomas was my ggg-grandfather Nathaniel’s brother, in which case Thomas’ father’s name is probably Nathaniel. That makes your grandfather John the 2nd cousin of my g-grandmother Elizabeth (and you my 4th cousin once removed)….

Beth

Posted: 27 Jun 2003 2:30PM GMT
Amazing! Thank you!
Coincidentally my only sibling's birthday is also February 16th same as Grandpa Skeuses's.I just remembered that when my Aunt Agnes visited Ireland in 1975 ,she met relatives named O'Brien who still lived in Cork.
I had a feeling we were cousins when I heard the similar names in your family.
Thanks so much for all the information. My father died in 1969, so there's really no one I can ask about his family history.
Does anyone know how the name Skeuse originated? It really doesn't sound Irish, and as far back as my childhood I remember our Irish parish priest teasing my father telling him there was no way he could be Irish with a name like that.

M Burns (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2003 4:39PM GMT
Hi Mary Beth---In my family, we have the story that the Skeuse family was originally Scandinavian. In corresponding with another person connected to the Drimoleague Skuse family, he mentioned that his family has the same story. From what I've gathered on-line, it looks like the first Skeuse came to Cork in 1620 with a group of protestant English settlers. I've found no record of the name in Ireland before then. Over time, some branches married into Catholic families, while others stayed Protestant. There is a note in the Drimoleague parish registry that "Tom Skuse was received into the Church" on 13 July 1829 (I think that this is your gg-grandfather). His eldest child "Ned" (i.e. Edward, your g-grandfather) was born in 1846.
The spelling variations in Cork are Skeuse/Skuse/Skuce. The records in Butlersgift all have the name spelled as "Skuse", but here in the states, my family consistently spelled it "Skeuse". There is a book by a man in England named Keith Skues who wrote "Skues: A Cornish Heritage", so there's a possibility that the Scandinavian story is just a family myth....The Skeuse name does, however, exist in Scandinavia...

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 2:13AM GMT
Surnames: John Skeuse
Looking for information on the Skeuse family from county Cork Drimoleague parish Butlersgift. My grandfather John *Jumped the fence* at the age of 16 and came to America around the turn of the century. I have been to the farm in Cork but would be interested in more information of any family both in Cork and in the States.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions