Search for content in message boards

SUTHERLAND brothers of Glasgow--where did they go after 1871?

SUTHERLAND brothers of Glasgow--where did they go after 1871?

Posted: 2 Jun 2007 7:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SUTHERLAND MCCOLL
I'm looking for children of James SUTHERLAND and Elizabeth MCCOLL,who were born in Dunbartonshire but had their family in Glasgow. John SUTHERLAND b ca 1834 and Alexander SUTHERLAND b ca 1850 both drop off the map after being in Glasgow in 1871. Did they emigrate? Thomas Sutherland b 1840 is in Kirkintilloch in Scotland in 1882 but missing after that. He had spent time in Durham. Also missing is Margaret Sutherland, b ca 1834, who may have married.

Re: SUTHERLAND brothers of Glasgow--where did they go after 1871?

Posted: 16 Feb 2008 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland
The was a ship built around that time, the SS Ethiopia. It started shipping people from Glasgow to New York in 1873. My Sutherland's were in the Scotland Census in 1871. Then I found a copy of the original passenger list for Nov. 16, 1874 and they were on it! From then on they started showing up in US Census. Maybe that's what happened to your Sutherlands! The last voyage of Ethiopia was 1907 but there were other ships too.

Posted: 16 Feb 2008 9:07AM GMT
Surnames: SUTHERLAND, TAYLOR, FRASER
I have to admit I haven't looked at passenger lists for a while--worth checking up on regularly, as you say. I did track down some of them. John died in in his 40's. Margaret Sutherland married William TAYLOR and went to Aberdeen. Only Alexander SUTHERLAND, a bookseller's clerk in 1871, is still missing. He is last noted as a witness at the wedding of his brothr Hugh Sutherland to Margaret FRASER in 1874. Having looked at USA and Canada immigration, he doesn't seem to be one of the 100 or so immigrants there.

Posted: 16 Feb 2008 9:23AM GMT
I'm having trouble figuring out which "William Sutherland" is the one I'm looking for before he got married. I had his wife and childrens' names. But I don't have a clue as to his parents' or siblings'.

Posted: 16 Feb 2008 10:15AM GMT
Surnames: SUTHERLAND
Did he marry in Scotland? Scottish marriage records give the parents' names. Likewise, of course, birth records. When and where was he born and married?

You probably know already that in Scotland second names are almost always a clue to first names or surnames of grandparents and other relatives. Did your William give second names to his children?

Posted: 16 Feb 2008 10:43AM GMT
If he did I haven't found them yet. Great-Great-Granddad is William. And I've found birth years from 1829-1839 but I know it's all the same person because of his wife and kids' names. Wife: Ann B. 1836? Daughter: Agnes B. 1871 Daughter: Elizabeth B. 1864 Son: Robert B. 1860 Son: Angus B. 1859. They were all born in Scotland and came to America in 1874, immediately migrated to Missouri. Robert is my Great-Granddad. He had 3 girls & 5 boys. The girls names don't stand out to me but the boys somewhat do. Harry Allen B. 1899 Lewis Everett B. 1897 (My granddad... and my dad's name is Everett Allen) Cont. with Robert's sons, Robert Bruce B. 1896, John Moore? B. 1894 & William Jewel B. 1892. The William & Robert seems to continue. What really throws me is the differenciating in birth years on William SR. And since I don't know his parent's and siblings' names...

Posted: 16 Feb 2008 4:03PM GMT
Surnames: SUTHERLAND
William SUTHERLAND is a tough name, if he was born in Caithness--it's very common there, as I'm sure you already know. I guess you already have seen the Scottish census for 1841-51-61 and 71 at Ancestry. That can tell you other things: there was only one family of Everetts in Scotland in 1851, in Fife, and it wasn't used as a first name at all.So no hope of finding a connection there. Allen/Allan is one to follow up--maybe. Families with William and Robert in every generation are very good to follow up.

Ages on census forms are a nightmare. I think this is how it works: the younger the person, the closer to the real age goes on the census sheet.

I checked on an Angus Sutherland born in Latheron, Caithness (as per 1851 census). There was only one, in 1858. I checked on marriages of a William S to an Ann from 1855-1859 in Latheron--a reasonable bet, since both were born there. There was one, in 1858--BEFORE Angus came along, I hope. That bride's name was Ann Sutherland. I think the Sutherlands were so numerous, it happened all the time.

This is the result of spending 40p--about 80 cents--on the Scotland's People website. For anyone who hasn't tried this website--it is very good value for money. You pay about $12 up front. There are very good search engines for B/M/D. You can find out a lot for nothing--such as the birth of only one Angus in Latheron in 1858. To see records costs 40 cents. Images are about $2, and the post-1855 ones have a lot of extra info.

I hope this works out for you. If you haven't been there, it's worth getting to understand how the site operates.

Posted: 16 Feb 2008 4:29PM GMT
Woe! Wow! Where did you find the William and Ann marriage? Because I had an aunt email me this morning with a rumor that they were cousins!! She said she never knew if it was true or not but her mom, Everett's wife, told her that. I've got to go but will be on later. Thank you so much for your help!!
Alanna

Posted: 18 Feb 2008 7:14AM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland, Gunn
Did I tell you I got the marriage cert? William's parents were listed as Angus Sutherland & Mary Gunn. And Ann's were listed as Robert Sutherland & Margaret Gunn. Sounds like they really kept it all in the family, right? I'm still stumped tho, ha. I can't find record of an Angus with a Mary anywhere. And Robert is as numerous as William! :) Did you have any luck with yours yet?

Posted: 18 Feb 2008 9:07AM GMT
Surnames: SUTHERLAND, GUNN
Great news about finally getting his parent's names. And he obeyed the naming rules, naming his first son after the grandfather. But you never can be sure they'll do that.

I'd say it was a good thing they went to MO and started a little outbreeding!

I did a search on Scotland's People--for no money at all--for marriages between any male Sutherland and any female Gunn in Caithness between 1810 and 1838. There were 22 marriages, can you believe it? For 20p more, I could have seen the list, with full names of both persons and the year of marriage, as well as the parish. Then I could have clicked on Angus and Mary, paid £1 and seen the original entry in the parish register. That would tell the exact date, but possibly not much more.

Just for information: I did a search for Angus Sutherland marrying a Gunn in the whole of Scotland for those dates, and came up with two. I did a search for any male Sutherland marrying a Gunn in the whole of Scotland for those years and came up with 33. The absolutely best value for money is to narrow the years until you have 25 results (date range 1816-1838). Then your 20p gets the marriages of Angus, and probably his brothers and maybe even his parents, and you can see in what counties and parishes the Sutherlands lived at that time. (If you wanted the whole list of 33, it would be "2 pages" at 20p per page, total cost 40p.

It gets harder when they head for the big city, as my Sutherlands did. I'm still looking for Alexander Sutherland, born in Glasgow in 1850, missing after 1874.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic