Search for content in message boards

Sands from Cork c1840's

Sands from Cork c1840's

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SANDS, MCQUADE, MCQUAID, MCQUID,
Looking for a family called Sands in Cork in the 1840's?

I have a Bridget? Sands born c1843 in Cork according to the England 1901 census. She married a Francis McQuaid/McQuade before 1864 probably in Ireland? or perhaps Scotland.

A James Sands was godfather to her son Francis McQuaid/McQuade in 1870 in Jarrow - could it be her brother?

Would be very grateful for any info as I've drawn a blank with both the Sands and McQuade families in Ireland.

Re: Sands from Cork c1840's

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 6:20PM GMT
Hi,

I have a John Sandy who is in http://www.bmdnotices.com/in-memoriam/viewremembrance.aspx?r... and he features too as a sponsors on pages 520, 521 and 522 and he is also names in other marriages and baptisms. Can't find a Sands though.

Frank

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 9:04PM GMT
Surnames: SANDS, MCQUADE, MCQUAID, MCQUID,
I think it's definitely Sands as all the children were baptised and Bridget's maiden name was Sands iirc.

A James Sands was the godparent of one of Bridget's children
However have been on findmypast.co.uk and found a reference to a death of James Sands in Kinsale, Cork in 1837- which could be my Bridget's father/grandfather.

There's another Capt George Sands in a directory of Clonakilty - not sure where that is.

Doesn't look like there's many Sands in Cork so if I find any hopefully they're related.

Julie

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 10:45PM GMT
Clonakilty and Kinsale are less than 20 miles apart.

I found a few Sandes surnames.

Happy Christmas

Frank

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 5:41PM GMT
Clonakilty is on the coast , about 30 miles west of Cork City . In Grifffiths Valuation (1852 ) George Sandes or Sands was living in Dunowen House ( which still exists today ) , Ardfield , Clonakilty which he was leasing from the Bandon and Smith - Barry estates . The house at the time was valued at 19 pounds . Also in Griffiths Valuation George Sands was a substantial landlord and had many tenants in Ardfield , Clonakilty . In a list of landowners in Co Cork 1871 , George Sandes , Dunowen House , owns 615 acres of land with a valuation of 510 pounds . The spelling of the name as you can see interchanges between Sands and Sandes .

Also in 1871 there is a James Y Sandys , Downdaniel , Innishannon ( this is next to Kinsale ) who owns 534 acres valued at 292 pounds .

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 5:43PM GMT
Sorry , in 1871 it should have read the Reps of George Sandes .

Posted: 6 Jan 2013 8:13PM GMT
https://sites.google.com/site/dunowenhouse/our-uniqueness
Gives information on Dunowen House beside Sands Cove. It says that there are links to Kerry landlords Sands. Sands Cove is about 5 miles from Clonakilty in the parish of Ardfield. Jimi Hendrix bass guitarist Noel Redding lived in the house until quite recently.

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 1:05PM GMT
Surnames: Sandes, Sands
Most of the Sands' in Cork were related to the Sandes family of Kerry, in particular George Sandes of Dunowen House, Clonakilty.

Have a look at http://sandesancestry.net

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 5:04PM GMT
Thank you so much for your replies everyone - have only just seen them so sorry for the delay in replying.

Unfortunately I need to find Bridget's birth or marriage certificates to ascertain what her father's name was and at the moment I haven't found either. There appears to be both Catholic and Church of Ireland families called Sands/Sandes etc. in Cork area and I wouldn't know where to start looking without her father's details.

I believe Bridget was a catholic as all her children were baptised in the catholic church.

She married Francis McQuade but I haven't been able to find a marriage in England, Scotland or Ireland so am a bit stumped.

She had 5 children in South Shields, Jarrow, Co Durham between 1864 and 1876. Whether she had any before that I don't know but no others appear with them in the England 1871 census so presume the marriage was year or two before the birth of Thomas.

Thomas McQuade born 1864 in South Shields. His godparents were Laurence Bradley and Rosanna Donelly. He died in Apr qtr 1865 in South Shields.

Sarah Jane McQuade b 1868. Her godparents were Hugh & Sarah Lavery. She married Thomas Donnelly in Boston, USA and died in Boston in 1949.

Francis McQuade b 1870. His godparents were James Sands and Catherine Cullen. (changed surname to Wade when he joined the Army in 1888- firstly the Durham Light Infantry and then the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons. He married Elizabeth McBride in 1904 in Sunderland (was stationed at The Curragh at the time) and they had two children, one born in Cairo and the other in Mhow India. He died in Mhow in India in 1909.

Joseph McQuade (McQuaid) b 1873 (haven't got baptism for godparents) He married Ellen McManus in 1903 in Sunderland and they had 7 children and died in Sunderland in 1950 (not confirmed)

Patrick McQuade b 1876. His godmother was Mary Ann Hughes. He married Margaret Kirk in 1901 in Sunderland and they had 8 children. He died in 1928 in Sunderland.

So really until I can find a birth/baptism or marriage I can't move forward. The marriage could be anywhere as I'm not sure where Francis McQuade comes from in Ireland.

There was another McQuade family in Jarrow at the time but I haven't found a link to them.

Thank you all.

Julie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions