Search for content in message boards

Butler

Posted: 23 Dec 2012 6:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Butler Cotter Bryne Hickey
DNA results have sent my research in a different direction I find that I now have strong links with the following people and it may well explain why I have never been able to find my great grandfathers (James Butler born 1853) birth in Queens County.

Mary Cotter born 1811 Aghanda Cloyne Parrish

Daughter of Edmond Cotter born 1771 Cork and Ellen Twomey born 1774 also Cork

Mary married John Walsh born 1805 in Cork they had a daughter Mary Ellen born 1852 in Queenstown Cork and she married John Joseph Byrnes from Tipperary and went to live in the USA.

Other names associated with this line are

Elizabeth Hickey born Tipperary 1824

Edward Bryne born Clonmel Tipperary 1811

John Byrne born Clonmel Tipperary 1781

I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who links with any of these names or who has information on any of the Butler families of Cork

Peter
Posted: 24 Dec 2012 11:15AM GMT
Not sure if you are familiar with the site www.rootsireland.ie , there you will find baptismal certs for Mary Cotter b. 1811 and Mary Walsh b. 1852 . Also for James Butler , Queens County which is now known as Co Laois , there is a baptismal cert for 1853 and another for 1854 . If you know the parents of James this will help to confirm the date . It is free to register with the site , to view a record there is a small charge .
Posted: 25 Dec 2012 11:31AM GMT
Denis

Thank you for the information I have used roots ireland many times unfortunatly the James Butler born 1853 in Laois is not my James Butler.

My James Butler eloped with his future wife and got married (1872) in Dublin, there must of been some sort of a family breakdown as his parents were not even at the wedding blessing a month after the marriage though James and his wife went to live with his wifes family.

My DNA research shows strong links with Cork even a good Y DNA match with another Butler, it is the Cork links wich I am trying to explore
Thank for the infomation

Re: Butler

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 11:58PM GMT
Your Cork connection may be Aghada which is in the Cloyne Diocese, Cork. Browse http://mallowheritagecentre.com/ for records as they have most of the church records for the Cloyne Diocese. You will see the (genuine) records held and their fee structure. It is worth it as you have all your info. Cheers! Margaret

Mary Cotter

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 1:44PM GMT
Surnames: Cotter, Scanlan, Sullivan, Cashman
I also have dna connections to your Mary Cotter, Edmond Cotter and Ellen Twomey. I have hope that this Edmond will have a record tie in to my Great Great Grand Father Edmond Joseph Cotter who was born in County Cork at or near Clykeel near Rathcormac. He came with his brother William Garrett Cotter and Garrett Cotter to the USA around 1850 first living in Massena New York St Lawrence County vicinity. If you have a chance plz let me know.

Re: Mary Cotter

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 2:48PM GMT
I have sent you a message

Re: Mary Cotter

Posted: 1 Aug 2013 1:59PM GMT
Hi,

There is a Mary Cotter in my father's ancestry, baptized 1811 Aghada Parish, Cloyne Diocese, Co. Cork. Her parents were probably Edmond Cotter and Ellen Twomy. May Cotter married John Walsh. They settled in Queenstown/Cobh.

Kathleen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions