Search for content in message boards

Barry family in Cork

Barry family in Cork

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barry, Vaughan
I am searching for a James Barry family in Cork, County Cork in the 1820s-70s. He was married to Mary 'Maggie'Vaughan and had children named James, Laurence, Maude and Margaret, maybe others. The parents and older children came to America (do not know the year) and left the younger children with an uncle who owned a meat business in Cork. My ggrandfather was Laurence who changed his name to James when he got to America and was born 1840-44. He supposedly stow away on a ship when he was 12-17 years old and never found his family in America. He ended up in California in 1867. He did find an uncle John in Los Angeles in his later years. I am not sure how much is true. I have searched ships passenger lists and cannot find anything that matched the family. Any help would be wonderful!

Re: Barry family in Cork

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 10:21AM GMT
Surnames: Barry
Hello,
Your story sounds very interesting, something you couldn't have made up!
I don't think I have anything to offer at the moment but if you do find out the names of the children left behind with the Uncle then it should be relatively straight forwrd to find then and any descendants in the General registration and 1901 & 1911 census.
I should be able to help with the census as I am researching all Bary families listed in the two census. I'm interested to know about Barry families who emigrated so are there any naturalisation documents to help? Do you have a tree or GEDCOM, as I'd be interested to look at what you have?

BR
MikeAB

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 11:44PM GMT
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reponse. The names I listed are all that I know. I found my ggrandfather, James Barry's Regestration of Voters in California in 1886 where it stated that he was naturalized "under section 6" what ever that is. No place, etc. I do not have a tree on ancestry yet. I am not sure where to research next.

Carmel

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 7:57AM GMT
Surnames: Barry
Hello Carmel,

I don't have any experience of searching in the US, but others have who might be able to help on where to look. However when I have some basic information I put it onto Ancestry in the form of a basic tree, this will include DOB and estinated marriage date and estimated death details, country of residence and birth if known. Make some basic assumptions on ages most people get married for instance when they are 18-21, the first born normally follows on within two years, and in your case you have information on names of children, maybe the order of birth. Ancestry will help by looking up information and other trees of people with similar family details. If your lucky someone else will know something about your family members, or they form part of their tree if the married into other families.
Its worth a try even if you only take a minimum subscription. When you get some firm dates try looking in the LDS indexs for Ireland, and the general registration indexes are also available for 1865 onwards in most cases. There are also several other places based on location and parishes some or free to search others you pay as you search. LOcal historical Societies can be very helpfull too. You seem to have your starting place in Cork which is something many peiole don't get that much.

Good luck
BR
MikeAB

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 2:11AM GMT
Hi, I am looking for information on John Barry (circa 1790) who married Mary Crowley (circa 1801)and lived Cork County. They came to Canada their children James (1827), and Honora (1829). Children born in Canada were John, Mary, David, Catherine and Richard. I also believe Elizabeth (1824) to be a daughter. Elizabeth born Midleton, Cork and Honora born Thomastown(?). Any help appreciated. Maureen

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 11:10PM GMT
Hi

I am searching for a Michael Barry Born c1791 he had a son Peter born 1816 they moved to UK but I have lost Michael and cant find any trace I know his son died in Tynemouth (England) in 1867. Peter may have had a sister called Anne but unsure, I no nothing about Michael. Does this little bit of info match anybodies tree.

Thanks

Simon Barry

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 9:06PM GMT
Surnames: Barry,Berry
Hello Simon,

I would think that you have a good chance to find your relatives in the rcords of England. I have found that my own relatives have been recorded Births under Berry and not Barry. My Grand Father's family of nine children only two were registered as Barry all the others as Berry, even one case where the fathers name was changed and initialled from Barry to Berry.
I have found an entry in the 1861 census for Tynemouth for a Family Peter Berry age 45 and his wife Jane aged 40, they had four children John 11, Rose aged 9, Margaret Anne aged 6 and Eleanor aged 4. Later in 1867 Q3 Vol 10b, page 117 there is a death of one Peter Berry which matches exactly you dates in Tynemouth. Do you have the death certificate for Peter, and does it match Q3, if it was late Q2 then it could have been registered late into Q3? Who registered the death and when and where if you have that info? There is also a marriage in 1846 Q1 Vol 25,page 461, there is also e Jane Maughan on the same page.

There is a Barry Family in the 1851 census in a different part of Northumberland Peter from Ireland, Jane and a three year old John. Also a Jane Barry aged 48 with two children Ellen J aged 13, and Joseph aged 9 in the 1871 census.

I hope this helps, you might consider duplicating and expanding [birth records] on my efforts and order some certiicates to give you more details
BR
MikeB
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions