Search for content in message boards

Lettie Durcilla Petty Richardson 1894 - 1968

Lettie Durcilla Petty Richardson 1894 - 1968

Lisa Montgomery (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jun 2009 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Petty, Richardson, Palmer, Byars
My grandmother was Lettie Durcilla Petty Richardson (1894 - 1968). Her dad was Will Petty who married Dollie Palmer. I have always been told that she (Lettie) was part Cherokee. That part of my family came from Carrollton, Mississippi. I have either her brothers and sisters or her aunts and uncles names but that is about all. Velma, Beatrice, Robert, Elbert and then two half sisters Marie and Christine Byars.

I'm just starting on this part of my family tree, does anyone have any info. Thanks.

Re: Lettie Durcilla Petty Richardson 1894 - 1968 Cherokee connection

Posted: 1 Jun 2009 4:33PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2013 2:55PM GMT
Surnames: Petty, Richardson
Lisa,

I am a descendant of Lettie Petty Richardson as well - she was my great grandmother. I hvaen't heard of a Cherokee connection, but I'll ask my dad, Freeland Neal.

Is your family tree public? I'd love to take a look to see what kind of info you've found - Will Petty is where I have hit a bit of a block.

Thanks!
phoebe

Re: Lettie Durcilla Petty Richardson 1894 - 1968

Posted: 5 Jun 2011 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: Petty
We have common ancestry. My grandfather was the younger brother of Lettie. His name was Robert Virgil Petty. He didn't say anything about Cherokee ancestry. I have found in one other instance that an ancestor was supposed to be Cherokee, but it turned out that they were born in Cherokee county or moved into newly released Cherokee lands. I will be happy to share what I have on the entire family. I am really interested in the Petty half sisters Marie and Christine. Do you know who their mother was?

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 1:47PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2013 2:55PM GMT
William Andrew Petty is my great grandfather. Is this the Will Petty To which you referred? Is your tree public? I am always looking to fill in gaps.

Re: Lettie Durcilla Petty Richardson 1894 - 1968

Posted: 9 Jun 2013 1:55PM GMT
Will Petty was is my great grandfather. He did marry Dollie Palmer and their children were Lettie Drusilla, William Elbert, Beatrice, Robert Virgil, Omer and Velma Ollie. After Dollie's death, he remarried Ollie Fowler with whom her had one child- Nannie Alice Marie. Christine Byers was Ollie's daughter from another marriage. I was able to talk to one of Nannie Alice Marie's daughters to verify information about Ollie Fowler. It was quite confusing for awhile! No cherokee as far as I can tell, but still looking.

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 1:41PM GMT
I think it is as I was recently contacted by a total stranger with ancestry questions. There is a ton of Petty's in this country. My grandmother married a Petty and I am a Petty through my mother.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions