Search for content in message boards

Daniel O'LEARY, Ferry Hill, Cork

Daniel O'LEARY, Ferry Hill, Cork

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'LEARY - RAYMOND
Looking for decendants, or anyone who may be connected to my grandfather
Daniel O'LEARY, tailor, who at the time of his marriage in 1891 lived at 78 South Main Street, Cork.
Daniel O'LEARY and Victoria Mary RAYMOND were married on
28 Nov 1891 at Church of St Peter and Pauls, Cork.
His father was Michael O'LEARY who was also a tailor.
In the 1911 census the family are living at Ferry Hill, Cork and the childrens' names were: Michael, William,
Mary Kate, Jane, Mary Anne, Kathleen and Monica.
Mary Kate was my mother.
Any details on this family much appreciated.
Marjery

Re: Daniel O'LEARY, Ferry Hill, Cork

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 8:03AM GMT

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 8:53AM GMT
Surnames: O'LEARY - RAYMOND
Thankyou Frank,
How lovely to see my Granma's family displayed in such a beautiful way. I did not know such a feature existed anywhere. Great to have all the extra details too. I have a shortcut to the site on my desktop now, so that I can search there any time.
Best wishes,
Marjery

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 9:19AM GMT
Marjery,

Thanks and of course you can add your personal messages at the end of the page.

Also you are welcome to add a page for your grandmother and we can link it to the page already up. You can include photos of course and I can assist if you wish. This site is FREE.

Frank

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 9:49AM GMT
Thankyou, will have a think about what I can add.
If I have a problem, will contact you.
Regards,
M.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 5:32PM GMT
hi marjorie.
yes this is the same o'leary family they lived next door to the brewery and the house is still there i pass it everyday.now victoria had a sister mary who was the 1st child born in 1860.and she married .i think his name was daniel must look up the marraige cert..o'leary same address and father a tailor...now she had a brother micheal i think he was the 3rd born.and he married julia o'leary from shandon st cork..her father a tailor as well.i do think they were brothers..all the same names keep popping up..i will go through all the certs later and give you the details..there are lots and i also have wentworths father' capt george raymond grand biography .i had to go over to the national archives in london to get his records ..great stuff in it. and also a relation living in holland is writing a book about the raymonds.i read a few pages and its wonderful stuff. .so again marjorie i do now know that mary and victoria married brothers...i never heard of ferry hill.must ask around and i will be onto you as soon as i have details ready...god bless.
noreen.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 7:45PM GMT
Thank you Noreen. Great information. If you could give me the address of that house (next to the brewery) sometime, I could look it up on 'google maps'street view.
I was in Cork in 1994 and looked for 7 Ferry Hill. There was a large stone white-washed wall around the back of the property and it seemed now only to be someone's backyard as if the main house had been demolished, the front door had been bricked over. The street led down to the river and was where the Ferry used to leave from, I was told. I have a note here written by my brother - who had visited some years before -and he mentions it is off Dominic Street, Pope's Quay. I would love you to find it.

Yes, as you say the names keep popping up. There was a Julia RAYMOND who was witness at Victoria's wedding - wonder where she comes into it!
Thanks again, Marjery

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 4:07PM GMT
hi marjorie.
thanks for the photo of your mum.and i will try my best to call to hannahs house and ask for a loan of the photo of victoria to copy and send to you with all what i have...yes julia was witness to victoria's wedding as she was her sister inlaw..julia o'leary married victorias brother micheal raymond.he was killed in an accident when he fell off a cliff in clonakilty kerry.in 1922.he was aged 44 and was an engineer.very tragic family..i know popes quay very well and i will do all the search in the library..or from the priest in st peter and pauls church..they know all the old streets and lanes of cork and the new names now..so i will be onto you the min i get that information...god bless and take care....noreen.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 9:14PM GMT
Noreen, all these actual family details are like 'gold' and will be entered into my genealogy program, so will be there for all time and not be lost. Thank you.
Fingers-crossed for finding the dwelling - or what's left of it - in Ferry Hill - 7 was the house number as we were given this by an aunt in Cork years ago. From memory, the streets about were cobble stoned and fairly narrow.
M

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 4:44PM GMT
HI MARJORIE..I WILL HAVE TO GO TO SOMEONE WHO HAS THE PLANS OF OLD CORK AND GET THE DRAWINGS FOR FERRY HILL..I HAD TO DO THAT WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR LYNCHES COTTAGES LOWER GLANMIRE ROAD 1872 FOR PATRICK RAYMOND..FATHER WILLIAM WENTWORTH RAYMOND..I WILL COPY THE PLAN AND SEND IT ONTO YOU WITH ALL THE OTHER CERTS THAT I HAVE AND CENSUS .HAVE TO GO DIGGING IN MY SUIT CASE HA HA..LOTS IN THERE...I WILL SEND YOU ON BY EMAIL CAPTAIN GEORGE RAYMONDS GRAND BIOGRAPHY..ENJOY IT. IT WILL TAKE A WHILE TO TAKE IN..THERE ARE NAMES OF NEWSPAPERS ON SOME OF IT SO GO INTO THEM AND TRY AND FIND WHAT THEY ARE SAYING ABOUT CAPTAIN GEORGE RAYMOND........CHEERS.XXX.RENA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions