Search for content in message boards

Caroline Taylor

Caroline Taylor

Posted: 24 Jul 2010 1:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Taylor, Cheney
Hi, I am looking for a Caroline Taylor b. 1845 in England. Father was John W. Taylor. Unkown mother's name. John and family came to USA in 1854, but most of the family died on the way over from cholera. Only John and daughter, Caroline survived. John married again to a Maria Cheney and they came to WI. Caroline is listed in the 1860 census at age 15. She is not in the 1870 census. Did she marry or move away? John is my great grandfather. Does anyone have a similar story about a Caroline Taylor in your family history? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Caroline Taylor

Posted: 29 Jul 2010 12:40PM GMT
Surnames: TAYLOR
Do you have a DOB for John W, or a more precise birth location for the birth of either?

There are only 76 Caroline Taylor on the 1851 England census so with a bit more data we might be able to pin things down.

Cheers
Steve

Posted: 29 Jul 2010 1:42PM GMT
Surnames: Taylor
The only birth date I have is from the census and one of them lists John's birth year as 1815 and another as 1813. I do not know where in England he was born. The family stories that I got were that he came with his family in 1854 and also with a brother. The brother went to Canada. His first wife and whatever other children there were, all died on the ship of cholera on the way here. There are no other members of my immediate family still alive who I can ask about this. Any clues are appreciated. Thank you.

Posted: 29 Jul 2010 2:23PM GMT
Well a quick search on the 1851 for Caroline Taylor 1845 +/-1 with a father called John reduces the possibilities to 10 and then looking at the pop up details for John being aged 37 +/-2 reduces it to to 2 families.

Civil parish: Nottingham St Mary
Ecclesiastical parish: Trinity
Town: Nottingham
County/Island: Nottinghamshire
Household Members:
Name Age
John Taylor 35
James Taylor 35 - Transcription error. Horrible writing
Jane Taylor 12
John Taylor 14
Eliza Taylor 8
Caroline Taylor 6
Frederick Taylor 4
Sarah Ann Taylor 2

Civil parish: Beverley St Mary
Town: Beverley
County/Island: Yorkshire
Household Members:
Name Age
John Taylor 37
Eliza Taylor 36
William Taylor 14
Mary J Taylor 12
Thomas H Taylor 9
Caroline Taylor 6

Now if some of those names relate to John's second family then you may well be in the right area and it would be worth looking to see if that family had disappeared from subsequent censuses.

Hope that helps a bit

Oh and it may be worth while doing some searches at Castle Garden my one quick search for Caroline threw up http://castlegarden.org/quick_search_detail.php?p_id=6872188

I didn't look for John.

Cheers
Steve

Posted: 29 Jul 2010 3:10PM GMT
Steve,
Thank you so much. This will at least give me a start.
Have a good day. Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions