Search for content in message boards

Seeking Schnick origins

Seeking Schnick origins

Posted: 6 Aug 2004 3:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schnick
Karl Schnick was born in Zelmorastwo, West Prussia November 11, 1897. His father was Gustav Friedrich Schnick born in Gosen, near Danzig, September 4, 1870. His father was Johann Christian Schnick born in Alt-Hutte by Paglau (birthdate unknown). Is Alt-Hutte in Poland? Can anyone advise me how to locate relatives in the Alt-Hutte location?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Re: Seeking Schnick origins

Posted: 7 Aug 2004 1:46AM GMT
Althutte is now called Stara Huta.

ALTHUTTE (STARA HUTA) 5413 1817 V Poland 176.2 miles NW of Warsaw

Schnick is a German spelled surname. The closest I found to that spelling in Polish is Sznik, but there were no longer any people in Poland by that name in 1990 or 2002.

Another similar in spelling is Sznic, but that would be pronounced Schnits in Polish.

After WWII, most people of German extraction left Poland. Most of them moved into Germany. Go to http://www.google.com and try to find a directory for the German White Pages, and maybe you can find someone that way.

Tina Ellis

Posted: 7 Aug 2004 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: Schnick
Tina Ellis...Thank you for the information you have given me on the location of AltHutte, and the Polish pronunciation and spelling of the surname Schnick. I am trying to find the Schnick relatives prior to 1850, before the Schnicks left AltHutte and moved to Gosen, near Danzig. Is there a listing that you know of of residents prior to 1850? Betty

Tina Ellis (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2004 6:43AM GMT
The only way I know of to find anything out is to check church records and civil records.

In 1869 there were 144 homes. There were 893 people there at that time. In 1880, there were 186 homes, with a population of 893 broken down in this manner:

What religion did your family practice? There is a Roman Catholic church in Przywidz, which have been there since the 14th century. The LDS have Lutheran records from 1831 through 1923. Catholic records are from 1841 through 1868.

The archives in Gdansk has records for this parish for Lutherans from 1832 through 1874; Roman Catholics from 1841 through 1868 and civil records from 1841 through 1901.

There is a website which has landowners in the 1700's in West Prussia. I think it's about 1772 though.

Tina

thank you

Posted: 7 Aug 2004 1:01PM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2004 3:33PM GMT
Tina...Thanks ever so much for again giving me the information to help me seek my family's origin. I am anxious to trace back to where they originated from in Germany.
Betty

Re: Schnick origin

Posted: 12 Aug 2004 1:59AM GMT
Surnames: Schnick-Buch-Drews-Falk-Neumann
I have found that Johann Christian Schnick's father was Christian Schnick, born in Gosen, Germany, near Danzig (unknown date), who was married to Constantia Buch in Gosen. Their son Johann Christian Schnick was born January 15, 1846 in Gosen, near Danzig (baptized January 18, 1846 in the Ev. Lutheran Church in Mariensee, Krs. Danzig) (Johann Christian Schnick's wife was Christina Louise Drews, born in Boshpol, Boschzot Abbau, West Prussia)) married in Schoeneck Ev. Lutheran Church. After Christina's death, he married her sister Auguste Drews. Their son, Gustav Friedrich Schnick was born in Gosen September 4, 1870, baptized at the Ev. Church of Mariensee, krs. Danzig. He died in Roddahn, East Germany. He was married to Klara Christina Falk in Wiesenthal Gross-Paglau, Zelmarostwo West Prussia on June 14, 1892. They lived in Alt-Hutte, West Prussia for a year and then moved to Strippau, near Danzig in 1893. (Klara was born in Zelmarostwo, West Prussia December 5, 1875. (She was the daughter of Karl Friedrich (August) Julius Falk and Anna Marie Gast. She died 1916 in Strippau, West Prussia. Their son Karl Otto Schnick who was born in Zelmarostwo November 11, 1897 was my father. Can anyone provide me with sources to trace the family beyond what I have? Does anyone recognize any of the spouses names? Thank you! Betty

Robert T. (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2004 6:08AM GMT
Betty, I have sent you a lengthy, detailed e-mail directly.

Robert

Posted: 13 Aug 2004 11:31PM GMT
Surnames: Schnick-Buch-Drews-Falk-Neumann
Robert...Thank you for clarifying so many questions for me regarding West Prussia and the locations of my ancestors. You have provided me with a wealth of information and I will access the three maps you referred to. Betty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic