Search for content in message boards

Grandparents & back

Grandparents & back

Margi Fleming (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Branscomb, Mitchell, Downing, Poe, Abarr
My great grandparents had a ranch in Laytonville. Branscomb is named for the family. My maternal grandmother was Nellie Branscomb - married Walter Mitchell. I don't have much information beyond that. Their children: Walter, Marjorie, Lila, Mildred and Elsie were all born in Mendocino county. Marjorie Mitchell(my aunt) married Eugene Blair and lived in Laytonville for many years. We are related to the Blair family too.

Branscomb Family

Michelle Vassar Davis (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Branscomb, Ward, Vassar, Janes, Bryant, Elliot
Margie, you need to get ahold of the book "Pioneering in the Shadow of Cahto Mountain" by Kate Mayo First Centennial Edition, 1874-1974. I believe the Mendocino Historical Society may have a copy or the Ukiah library may have one as well.

Nellie was the niece of my gggrandmother, Mary Elizabeth. Mary's parent's (and Nellie's grandparents) were Ben Branscomb and Jane Taylor. They met on a wagon train, where Jane's father was the captain (Benjamin Taylor). They were married on the Taylor ranch, near Sebastopol, in Aug. 1859. They had a total of 10 children.

First, Charles William Branscomb in 1860, he mar. Uarka Middleton in 1886. 2nd, Sarah Lorine b. 1861, mar. Meeks -- James Miller (mar. twice? book not clear). 3rd, Mary Elizabeth b. 1863 mar. Charles Ward in 1886. 4th, Joseph Edmond b. 1866 d. 1941 mar. Zarilda (Sally) Poe in 1890 (These are Nellie's parents. Her siblings are: Roy Edmond b. 1892, Hazel b. 1907, Amos E. b. 1906, Ada b. 1910.) 5th, Martha Rachel b. 1869 mar. Christian Hansen in 1886. 6th, John Mitchell b. 1871 mar. Nellie Francis Raab in 1916. 7th, Arthur Thomas b. 1873 mar. Vitaline Vassar in 1900. 8th, James Henry b. 1875 mar. Pauline Zant in 1900, 9th, Laurence Elbert b. 1877 mar. Irene Manchester in 1902. 10th, Leila b. 1879 mar. Fred Wells -- Mc Gimpsey.

The book mentioned above has photos, but none of Nellie. I also have some photos of the Branscomb post office and livery stable and also the original Branscomb home and resort. Hope this helps, please contact me if you would like more information.

Charles BRANSCOMB

Posted: 3 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 12:48AM GMT
Surnames: BRANSCOMB, MIDDLETON
You probably already have the information, but just in case you don't: Charles and Uarka Middleton Branscomb are buried in the Upper Lake Cemetery, Lake Co.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions