Search for content in message boards

Early pioneer families in MO with Daniel Boone

Early pioneer families in MO with Daniel Boone

Posted: 27 Feb 2002 10:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 May 2003 2:51AM GMT
I have info on a Jesse COX being in Montgomery County Missouri with the some of the earliest pioneer families that moved with Daniel Boone to Kentucky, then to Missouri (about 1790-1810). I'm trying to collect data on all the families that make up this group: Callaways, Holders, Boones, Whitesides, Cantleys, Houses, Bests, Mousers. Some of these Missourians moved on the southwest Arkansas in the 1820s-1830s, and a few went on then to Texas. (Jesse Cox also married Elizabeth Clark in Lincoln Co. Missouri.) If anyone can help with these surnames in the county, I'd appreciate it!

Re: Early pioneer families in MO with Daniel Boone

bill (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2002 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Boone
The county library in montgomery has alot of information on the Boone family. There is also information at the University of Missouri in Columbia Missouri available. Many of the Boone's descendants still live in Montgomery Mo.

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 12:20AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2002 4:54PM GMT
The Boone Family Association of Cal-Mont will hold the 25th Reunion at Williamsburg, Mo- on June 9, 2002-

There is a wealth of information available, on the Boone Family- but, impossible to post-

Please feel free to contact me privately.
I am a descendant of George Boone and Nancy Linville, whose son John L. Boone settled in the Callway/Montgomery Counties area before statehood. Many of the Boone descendants in the area are his descendants, as well as many are from Daniel, or descended from both brothers.
I have a cousin who is a dual descendant of Daniel and George Boone.

The 1817 Enumeration of free white males is online at the Callaway County Journal- This is a very important territorial census substitute for Montgomery and Callaway Counties, due to the division of the counties taken from St. Charles County after 1817-

This is the URL for the main page of the CCMJ-
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mocallaw/ or this will take you to the census page
http://www.rootsweb.com/~mocallaw/census.html

When searching for Boone and Callaway families, both Callaway and Montgomery counties are involved.

There was also a Jesse Cox family that went to Saline County, Mo.

Posted: 20 May 2002 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: HOPKINS
I would like to know if there are some HOPKINS in the list of Boone's relatives. This bit of information has been passed along orally, for generations. Thank you

Posted: 26 May 2002 12:38PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2003 6:43PM GMT
I have reason to believe that my ancestor William Allen came to Missouri with Nathan Boone. He received a land grant for serving in the Missouri territory militia in the War of 1812. His home is listed as Boon's Lick, MO. Also, I believe that his father came to Kentucky with Daniel Boone. I have been unable to find his father to date. Maybe because I do not have a name.

I believe that the Filson Society of Louisville has the most complete Daniel Boone collection. I am going to visit it again in July. I will let you know if I come up with any useful info.

Posted: 20 Jul 2002 3:38AM GMT
Edited: 22 Dec 2002 2:53AM GMT
Surnames: boone/yarborough/hopkins/
i do have a ggg-father william nathan boone that married a mattie susan hopkins in jacksboro, tx. i am looking for more info on them. he was born in missouri and she was in nacgdoches, tx. please let me know if that helps and if you can help me.
thank you

Walter Hopkins (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2002 12:29PM GMT
Surnames: Boone, Hopkins
I could find no connection in my research.

Thank you for the reply.

Posted: 20 Jul 2002 7:02PM GMT
Edited: 3 May 2003 2:51AM GMT
I don't have an official list of settlers who were in Missouri with Daniel Boone, just some names that I have collected from both official biographical documentation and from family tradition. I'm unaware if there were Hopkins in this bunch. You might go to the Clark County, Arkansas genealogical site & put a query there because there were numerous Boone relatives who moved there from MO after Daniel died in the 1820s. They were Callaways, Holders, etc.

Posted: 26 Jan 2005 6:21PM GMT
I have GGG/grandparents who were married in 1818 Montgomery Co., Mo., they were George Mouser b. 1799 NC and Phoebe Best b. 1802 KY. They later moved to Hempstead, AR. Any info on these two?

Re: Mousers & Bests in MO & AR

Posted: 28 Jan 2005 5:25AM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2005 4:56AM GMT
You had emailed me recently through ancestry.com about your Missouri Mousers & Bests who moved to Hempstead Co AR. The info I have says that Isaac Best lived in Montgomery County, Missouri. The Callaways had come with Daniel Boone to Missouri and had a land grant in Madison County MO near Moses Austin’s lead mine (this area originally called St. Genevieve District).

Isaac Best and some of the Mousers and Callaways left Missouri in the early 1820s to go to Texas to be part of Stephen F. Austin’s Colony on the Brazos River. They came to AR with Thomas Eads (born 1779 VA), the Smiths, Clarks, Buchanans, Jones, Watsons, Henleys, Houses, Holders, Rices, Warners, and others. Isaac Best stopped at Rocky Mound in Hempstead County, Arkansas and stayed almost 10 years before going on to Texas (later died in Texas in 1838). Many of the others stopped in Clark County AR.

Isaac Best’s daughter Phoebe married George Mouser and another daughter Polly married James Cantley. Phoebe & George’s son John Mouser started Oak Grove Methodist Church just outside of Hope AR & he married Anna Nations, daughter of Nathaniel Nations. After Anna died, John married her sister Francis (Franky) Nations, who was the widow of Joseph East.

Much of this came from the Mouser book that’s in the Hope (Hempstead Co AR) library. In the Hempstead Co AR Marriage book, I see several Mouser marriages:

In 1858=David Mouser, 18, to Margaret Ann Kirk, 16.
In 1849=George Mouser 25 to Lucinda Venable 19.
In 1858=Henry Mouser 17 to Rebecca E. Baker 16.
In 1844=Isaac Mouser 23 to Eliza Ann Brummell.
On 6 April 1836= John Mouser to Anna Nations.
In 1855=John Mouser 24 to Mary Ann Archer 16.
In 1861=Stephen Mouser, over 21, to Martha Morgan 22.

On 3 Aug 1848 in Hope AR=Margaret Best Mouser (born 3 Sept 1832 Hope AR as daughter of George Mouse & Phoebe Best; Margaret died 6 Aug 1896 at Christie Chapel / Emerson AR) married Thomas Guy Eads (b 1826 AR, d 1904 Christie Chapel/ Emerson AR).…this Thomas was son of Samuel Eads Jr. Note that Margaret died 6 Aug 1896 in Columbia Co AR. Thomas Guy Eads was considered a great hog raiser and lived in Emerson area which later became southern part of Nevada County AR. Margaret & Thomas Eads had 5 children: Sarena Adeline Eads b 1849 (m: Andrew B. Walker); Martha Willie Eads b 1851, Mary Cathern Eads b 1852 (m: Thomas Hampton Baucum), Charles and Samuel (all five mentioned in Thomas Eads will; Will Book C, page 65).

In Aug 1844=David F. Mouser (born abt 1823 MO as son of George Mouser) to Sarah / Sally Francis Eads (daughter of Samuel Eads Jr.). David & Sally had 2 children: John B. Mouser b 1848 & Mariah E. Mouser b 1850.

In 1851=Martin Mouser b 1827 to 18-yr-old Elizabeth Eads (born 1833 AR as daughter of Samuel Eads Jr. & Mary B.

I also descend from some of the Bests through John Best, who married Drucilla Banks about 1784 in VA. They had nine children: Levi, Drusilla, Polly, Banks, Elizabeth, Sarah Jane, Cathy, Samuel and John Best. Their daughter Sarah Jane Best married Elisha Hall, and they had a daughter Drucilla Hall married William Bird Greer in 1819 in Bedford Co VA. These Bests most likely connect to yours because some of my Greers married into the Callaways back about 1800 in Virginia.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions