Search for content in message boards

George Forrest

George Forrest

Gene Forrest (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Forrest
George Forrest was listed in the 1790 census of Martin Co. The deed records indicate he did not own land in Martin Co. He married Wineford Joyner, daughter of Thomas Joyner, of Martin Co. The 1800 census shows him in Johnson Co., where he did own land and served on juries. I am a descendent of George and Wineford Forrest. I have a good bit of information on his two sons who moved to Tennessee, and their descendents. However, I have been unable to find any information on his parents.

Re: George Forrest

Posted: 1 Jun 2005 12:11AM GMT
Surnames: Forrest
Gene, can you tell me the names of George's 2 brothers who moved to Tennessee? and/or any family history you have?
Thanks, Corinne Forrest Carlman

Gene Forrest (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2005 2:30AM GMT
George had two sons that moved to Tennessee, rather than two brothers. We have not been able to discover anything concerning George's siblings or parents. He shows up in a family Bible, and in the 1790 census in Martin Co., NC. He moved to Johnson County, NC, then to Wayne Co., NC, and finally to Pitt Co., NC. We know nothing about his ancestry. I wish we did. I do have some information on George's wife's family, however.

As for George's two sons that moved to Tennessee, their names were Thomas Joiner Forrest and Samuel W. Forrest. They moved in 1826 from Pitt Co., NC, along with some other families. Thomas married Charlotte Brown, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Brown of Greene Co, NC. Thomas and Charlotte are my great-great-great grandparents.

Samuel W. Forrest married Zilpha Sherrod (probably from Wayne Co.). There are grave markers for Samuel and Zilpha, but not for Thomas and Charlotte. They were buried in two different cemeteries, one of which has been kept up and one of which hasn't.

Some of my relatives from a previous generation worked hard on the Forrest genealogy and compiled a chart. If you would like, I can copy it and send it to you. It is hand-printed, however, and some of it is hard to read.

If I can answer specific questions, I'll be glad to do so. Also, I would be interested in knowing which Forrest's are in your ancestry from the 1700's and 1800's.

Thanks for your interest, and if you find out anything about George Forrest, let me know.

Gene Forrest

Posted: 5 Sep 2009 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: Benjamin Burroughs, son Anthony Burroughs, ?gson Thomas Joiner Burroughs
George, If you are still researching these areas, would like to talk to you about the Forrest/Joyner connection and Haywood Co., TN.

Thanks Jo

Posted: 7 Sep 2009 12:54AM GMT
Hello Teresa,

My name is Gene instead of George, but my great-great-great-great grandfather was George Forrest. George was living in Martin County, NC in 1790. His wife was named Winiford, and I believe her to be the daughter of Thomas Joiner/Joyner who resided in a county just north of Martin. Thomas named George Forrest as the executor of his will. George and Winiford's oldest son was named Thomas Joiner Forrest.

I don't know much else about the Forrest/Joyner connection, but I would love to talk to you about it. Thomas Joiner Forrest and his family moved to an area near the border of Haywood and Madison counties in West Tennessee in 1826. I know quite a bit about the Forrest family after they moved to Tennessee and some about the family before they moved. I know almost nothing about the Joyner's, though.

If you want to talk, my phone number is 865-386-6109. Or we can correspond by email, if you prefer.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Gene Forrest

Re: George and Winiford Forrest

Posted: 7 Oct 2009 12:03AM GMT
Hi, Gene! I just noticed your post.

I am looking for help with the antecedent lines for George and Winifred Forrest of Eastern North Carolina. Same one? The 1800 Johnston County Census may be an important addition to the material below I had been cobbling together.

See what you think? As you will see at the bottom, I had gguessed that Winifred's maiden name was Joiner/Joyner.

George died circa 1820-27 in Pitt County, NC; his wife Winifred died in 1835 in Wayne County, NC. Their daughter Mary "Polly" Forrest married Etheldred Yelverton during the slim span of years they were living in Wayne County, NC (perhaps 1797 to 1812 or 1813). George may well be the same George Forrest who shows up in the 1790 Martin County NC census.

Here are some thoughts on related lines; still a work in progress, and corrections or additions welcome.

One daughter of George and Winiford Forrest was Mary A. "Polly" Forrest, who married Etheldred Yelverton (son of Hardy son of John Jr., son of John Sr., died ca. 1750; John Sr. connects to the Blounts of Edenton, pre-1700). Large numbers of Yelverton descendants from this line still live in Wayne Co., NC and across the South. My wife descends through Etheldred to his son Hardy, and his daughter Sally, who married Jesse Thomas Aycock. Their daughter Serena Aycock married Frank Lee Peacock in 1900, generating a large Peacock clan in and near Fremont, NC.

George Forrest witnessed John Jr.'s wife Elizabeth Yelverton’s 1803 will; he must have been living near Nahunta Swamp at that time. George Forrest first appears in the Wayne County land records in 1797, purchasing lands (as “George Farris”) from Richard and Jesse Braswell (WCDB 7, page 159). In 1804 he purchased additional lands from Richard Braswell “of Johnston County” (WCDB 7, page 485 – 50 acres on the northside of Nahunta Swamp near the Yelverton lands, apparently from Richard's father’s division – the adjacent landowners are all Braswells/Bracewells), and then in 1806 from Jesse Braswell (WCDB 9, page 48 – an old 80-acre Elias Fort grant adjacent Braswell, Martin and Edmundson). A final sale from Jesse Braswell to George Forrest occurred in 1807, for 80 acres adjacent to Yelverton’s Branch (WCDB 9, page 52). Thus, George Forrest purchased more than 200 acres near Etheldred Yelverton between 1797 and 1807.

George Forrest apparently only lived there for a short time, selling 174 acres to Jonathan Outland in 1812 (WCDB 10, pages 67 and 73), and 6 acres to Shadrack Braswell (one of the Braswell sons listed as a neighbor in the deed above) in 1813 (WCDB 10, page 183). The remaining chunk – 37 ½ acres – of this land he sold to Etheldred Yelverton, also in 1812 (WCDB 10, page 50). The so-called "Outland tract" features prominently in later Yelverton land divisions.

Apparently, George and Winifred Forrest moved to Pitt County in 1812-13, leaving behind their daughter Polly, married to Etheldred. The 1813 deed to Shadrach Braswell clearly states “George Forrest of the County of Pitt,” whereas the others say “of Wayne.”

Pitt County land records show George Forrest “of Wayne” buying 450 acres of land in 1812 from Joel Moye. George was also granted 32 acres in 1820, from the State of North Carolina (warrant and a good plat exist; Pitt County File 1656.) The description in the 20 October 1820 plat is as follows:

“on the South Side of Tar River East Side of Little Contentnea Creek & west Side of Cross branch & immediately on the South Side of Mill branch . . . beginning at a holly in Cross branch about sevety-five yards from its mouth thence running along George Forrest’s line west two hundred & forty two poles to a stake in said Forrest’s field thence along another of his lines north ten west thiry nine poles to the second corner of the Mather patent thence the reverse of the first line of said patent north seventy five west twenty five poles to the run of Mill branch thence up with the various courses of Mill branch which is Simon Keel’s (sp.?) line to the mouth of Cross branch thence up the same to the beginning.” The chain bearers are Thomas Forrest and "Whitmill" (as opposed to Whitney!) Forrest.

The next Pitt County land record is dated 1827, and shows George (Jr., presumably) and Thomas Forrest selling their one-third interest in this land to Whitney J. Forrest (Pitt Deed Book DD, page 390). Presumably, these are two of George and Winifred’s children selling at his death, which must have occurred prior to that time. Also in 1827, Etheldred Yelverton and Whitney Forrest sold their interests in George’s lands to another son, Samuel Forrest (Pitt Deed Book EE, page 303).

George died sometime between 1820 and 1827. The Pitt County estate records were destroyed in 1857 when the courthouse burned. However, George apparently left two wills, that led to a record in the deed books mentioning Polly Yelverton (Pitt County Deed Book GG, page 6, recorded in 1833), and then later to another deed book record mentioning George Forrest, dec'd., to heirs Samuel Forrest and Thomas J. Forrest (Pitt County Deed Book GG, page 208).

Winifred Forrest wrote her will in 1833, in Wayne County; I don't see her in the 1830 census in Wayne with Etheldred and her daughter. The will was probated in August of 1835, in Wayne County, suggesting she was then living with Etheldred and Polly Yelverton.

Winifred Forrest's 28 July 1833 will (probated in August 1835; she signed it "Wineford Forrest") includes the following relationships: "my beloved daughter Poll Yelverton, wife of Etheldred Yelverton"; "my son Samuel";
"my beloved granddaughter Drucilla Farrist daughter of my son Whitney Forrist"; "my grandson George Farrist son of Whitney Farrist"; "my three daughters"; (the rest of her estate to) "be equally divided between Thomas Farrist, Samuel Farrist, Whitney Farrist, Polly Yelverton wife of Etheldred Yelverton, and Winny Outerbridge wife of Stephen Outerbridge." She nominated her friend Wyatt Moye as executor, which role was shifted by the court to Benjamin Bynum.

Winifred Forrest’s loose estate papers in the NC Archives include: an administrator’s bond to Benjamin Bynum (having replaced the administrator Winifred asked for, who refused to serve) dated 17 August 1835; an account of her sale on 20 October 1835 (at which John Yelverton and Etheldred Yelverton bought goods); an inventory dated 14 September 1835 (mostly bank notes, specified by source, date and number); a final account dated 10 February 1837.

The Pitt County records also mention Whitney J. Forrest's two children: George B. Forrest and Sarah D. Forrest (Pitt County Deed Book GG, page 391).

A surviving family bible, documenting the Outterbridge/Coffield/Sherrod families of Martin and Pitt Counties, gives important biographical evidence for part of this group. Stephen Outterbridge married Winifred J. Forrest (daughter of George and Winifred Forrest) on 5 February 1823. (The Outterbridge line extends back in Martin County to William Outterbridge who married Catherine Revell on 6 July 1752, siring Burwell Outerbridge in 1767 (died 1819), who in turn sired Stephen Outerbridge in1800, who in turn married Winifred Forest. The daughter Winifred’s dates are given as 25 August 1804 to 11 November 1862. While the bible gives lots of later Forrest and Outbridge data, nothing further is listed for George or Winifred (the mother), or for her antecedent lines.

The 1790 census shows a George Forrest (the only one in NC) living in Martin County, with two white females and four slaves, not adjacent to but perhaps not too far from the Outterbridges. No other Forrests are shown in Martin County, and none in Wayne or Dobbs Counties.

The only NC census I have noticed so far showing George Forrest in Wayne County is the 1810 census, where he is listed as older than 45 years old, as is the older female in the household (presumably Winifred). Their family included one each males and females less than 10 and between 10 and 16 years old. Polly must have been the older one, and Winifred the younger, at age 6. (I need to recheck the other census records.)

If George Forrest is NOT the Martin County George Forrest . . . then earlier Craven/Johnston/Dobbs/Wayne (or Greene) County choices seem sparse. Obviously, the courthouse fires in Snow Hill and Kinston eliminated most of the pre-Wayne and Dobbs/Glasgow/early Greene County records.

With a quick perusal, it looks like the only Forrests in the cross-index to those burned deeds are as follows:

1) James McIllwain to James Forrest (Burned Deed Book 1, page 306, and thus about 1750)

2) Edward Forrest to Abraham Taylor (Burned Deed Book 2, page 286, and thus about 1752)

3) James Forrest to Anthony Calvert (Burned Deed Book 2, page 371, and thus perhaps 1753), and

4) Peter Diggins to Henry Forrest (Burned Deed Book 11, page 16, and thus about 1777).

Henry seems to be linked in at least some records to later William Forrest (of Glasgow/Greene County, NC).

I might have missed one or more Forrests in the non-alphabatized grantee lists.

Among many other things, I am wondering if Winifred's maiden name was Joiner or Joyner?

Posted: 8 Oct 2009 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Forrest, Yelverton
Gene, your Johnston County tip was wonderful, connecting the Wayne County/Pitt County George back to the Martin County, NC 1790 census George Forrest, as follows:

A) Johnston County land records:

1)1791 deed from John Ballinger to George Forrest (of Martin County), 200 acres southside of the Neuse River on Miry Branch (Johnston Co. Deed Book S-1, pages 288-289).

2) 1794 deed from Drewry Bynum to George Forrest (of Johnston), 100 acres southside of the Neuse River (Beel's Creek, "Mirah" Branch, Little swamp, Little Spring Branch) (Johnston Co. Deed Book T-1, page 203-204).

3) 1794 deed from William Farmer to George Forrest (of Johnston), 56 acres northside of Neuse River (part of a 1741 James Farmer patent) (Johnston Co. Deed Book U-1, page 144-145).

4) 1795 deed from George Forrest (of Johnston) to Daniel Dees Sr., 20 acres from the James Farmer patent (Johnston Co. Deed Book U-1, page 152-153)

5) 1795 deed from Nathan Powell to George Forrest (of Johnston), 15 acres on the northside of the Neuse, on the river bank adjacent the above (Johnston Co. Deed Book V-1, page 125-126)

6)1792 lease between Samuel Harrell and George Forrest (of Johnston), 20 acres northside of the Neuse River (Johnston Co., Deed Book V-1, page 152.

7) 1797 deed from George Forrest (of Johnston) to Daniel Dees, 15 acres northside of Neuse (Johnston County Deed Book W-1, page 481).

8) 1797 deed from George Forrest (of Johnston) to Richard Braswell (of Wayne) on southside of the Neuse, 300 acres (Johnston Co. Deed Book X-1, pages 227-228).

9) 1799 land grant to George Forrest (on a transferred 1780 Needham Bryant entry), 100 acres (good plat dated 1795, Johnston File 3191).

10) 1799 land grant to George Forrest (1796 warrant and plat, Johnston File 3259).

The 1797 Wayne "George Farris" deed says "of Johnston" as well, proving George lived in Johnston County from 1791/92 to 1797, at least.

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 4:08PM GMT
drader77,

Thank you for all of this. There is some new information here that I did not know about.

First, about your question regarding Joiner/Joyner. In official Martin County records, the name is Joyner. The father of Wineford Forrest was Thomas Joyner. He is listed as with the Joyner spelling both in a 1782 deed and in his 1790 will.

I am not sure how the "Joiner" spelling came into use. If my notes are correct, the state census of North Carolina in 1786-7 has Thomas Joiner instead of Joyner. I can't find my notes on the federal census in 1790, but it may have him as Joiner, also. My branch of the Forrest's has always referred to Thomas Joiner Forrest as our ancestor (oldest son of George and Wineford). We believe a family Bible published in 1826 belonged to Thomas, and in that Bible, he is just listed as "Thomas J. Forrest."

In that same Bible, it mentions "George and Wineford" Forrest, with Wineford being the same spelling as in her will. However, she named one of her daughters, "Winifred."

The information you provided that is new to me is the following.

1. That George Forrest was a witness to Elizabeth Yelverton's will.

2. That George probably purchased land in Wayne County in 1797 under the name "Farris."

3. That there is an Outterbridge/Coffield/Sherrod Bible. Do you have copies of the pages from that Bible? I would really like to obtain copies of it.

By the way, did you know that George and Wineford's son, Samuel Forrest, married Zilpha Sherrod from Wayne County? In Samuel's will, he mentions his nephew Samuel Yelverton as an heir. Also, there is a road very close to where I grew up named Yelverton Road. It is located in Madison County, Tennessee very close to the Haywood County line. The only Yelverton's I knew growing up were two brothers who were auto mechanics. Their names were Finis and Carmac.

Gene

Posted: 3 Nov 2009 3:57AM GMT
Thanks, Gene!

I will use "Joyner" and "Wineford" from here out to be consistent.

I have a transcription from the pages from the Bible; they may be from two different Bibles. Copies of the original pages are supposed to be in the N.C. Archives in Raleigh, where I live. I will run down there and get copies of the originals. I will be glad to mail them to you.

Along with the Yelvertons, the Sherrod clan has been quite important around Nahunta Swamp, in the area that is today Wayne and Greene Counties, NC. Two related Sherod/Sherrod/Sherards settled there very early, including John Sherrod, who acquired land from my wife's ancestor, John Peacock, and lived beside the Peacock clan not far from modern-day Fremont. (Benjamin homesteaded to the east, closer to modern-day Faro, where John Yelverton pioneered in 1756 on land acquired from George Fort.) Though I know I have a way to go to convince the Sherrods, I believe that they both descend from Robert Sherwood of Northampton County, who lived beside John and Samuel Peacock's parents on the south side of the Meherrin River before the Peacock brothers moved to the Contentnea Creek watershed between 1739 and 1742. As you know related families often moved together.

Interesting about the Yelverton ties . . . assume you have seen Keith Yelverton's site?

My direct email is drader@edf.org; zap me an address and I will forward copies of the Bible pages.

Doug

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 4:30AM GMT
Surnames: Forrest-Yelverton
I am trying to find info on the Will of Samuel Forrest of Haywood County Tennessee. Specifically, trying to see if he listed the transfer of slaves. I have traced my family back to the Forrest-Yelverton names. I believe Samuel Forrest and Samuel Yelverton to have been the possible slaveholders.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions