Search for content in message boards

Fleece and Caw

Fleece and Caw

Grace Paiter (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fleece, Caw
Does any one have any information on the Caw family. A Sarah Caw married a William John Fleece on 1-26-1831 in
WVA. She died 10-24-1873 in Berkelely County, WVZ. They
lived in Morgan County WVA Any help will be appreciated.

Caw/Fleece

Posted: 23 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2001 8:42PM GMT
Bonnie: Can't help you with Caw at this point, but I am interested in daughter, Frennetts who married John W. Dyche. Do you any more info on this family? Help would be appreciated and I will share what I have if it will help.
Edie

Sarah Caw

Posted: 23 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 12:27PM GMT
Surnames: CAW
In 1830, Isaac, Peter, Joseph and Nicholas CAW were all living in Morgan Co., WVA. Peter was the oldest and possibly the father of the others. According to his application for a pension, Peter was born in Lancaster Co., PA, served in the Revolutionary War and moved to Berkeley Springs near the end of the war. These CAWS were German-speaking (possibly of Swiss descent). Many of their descendants changed their surname to COY when they moved to Ohio and beyond.

Bonnie
Posted: 31 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 3:27PM GMT
Surnames: CAW, McNeil
I show a SILAW CAW as coming from Virginia. He married ELIZABETH MCNEIL(L) in Reed City, Osceola Co., Michigan on November 26, 1883. Do you show a SILAS CAW as part of your line?
Posted: 14 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2003 5:03AM GMT
Surnames: Fenner, Summers, Caw
Bonnie--would you happen to know if Matthias Caw, who left the Sleepy Creek area when it was still in Berkeley Co., not yet Morgan Co., was a member of this family? He settled in Highland Co., Ohio, and deeds in Berkeley Co. would seem to indicate that he had married into the Fenner family. His wife's name (from the deed) was Margaret.

Have you ever looked at Isaac Caw's War of 1812 pension application or found any record that might show if/how these people might be related? Also, did they spend any time in Western MD before coming to VA? I haven't been able to locate marriage records for any of them, so was wondering if they might have married somewhere other than in VA.

Lois

Caw family

Posted: 16 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 12:27PM GMT
Matthias and Nicholas CAW both appear in the 1810 VA census for Berkeley Co. (later Morgan). Matthias is age 26-45 and Nicholas is 16-25. In 1812, Matthias is serving in Key's Regiment of the Ohio militia. Nicholas, Isaac and Joseph Caw are still in VA serving in Taylor's militia. An earlier generation of CAW's (see also COW, KAU) were living in Washington Co, MD and Franklin Co., PA. There are some records in the Lutheran Churches but nothing that I have found about Matthias. Peter CAW's Rev. War pension application was witnessed by Isaac and Nicholas CAW in 1834. Their relationship to him was not stated. I haven't seen any records of War of 1812 pensions.

Re: Caw family

Bob Plummer (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2002 12:33PM GMT
Did all the Caw family move from WV? In the 1850 census it shows a household with Nickolas and Elizabeth, one with Maria and one with Isaac and Marthy. But in the book "Graveyard History of Morgan County (Va) W. Va I can not find where any Caws are buried. My grgrgrand mother is Mary Elizabeth Caw (1822-1890 who is buried with her husband in Berkley Springs) She married Michael Pentoney (1819-1888). I am looking for information on either family.

Posted: 10 Apr 2002 4:50PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: PENTONEY'S, CAW
From the book, "Morgan County and It's People" published by the Morgan County Genealogical and Historical Society in 1981 comes the following excerpt on p. 184 by EDGAR E. PENTONEY, JR.:

"The Pentoney's are a different story, very little is known. I have pieced together a part of our story but am still searching . There is a great possibility the Pentoney's came directly from Ireland to escape religious persecution. In 1821 Michael Pentoney and his wife Elizabeth Caw purchased 100 acres of that land in 1849. I don't know the relationship of the two Michaels. My grandfather Charles Issac was one of eleven children. He married Mary Jane Widmyer and they raised nine children, eight of whom made their home in Morgan County."

A second entry is found on the same page - CHARLIE I. PENTONEY FAMILY:
"The Pentoneys came from Ireland and settled near Martinsburg, West Virginia before moving to Morgan County. My Grandfather, Charlie I. Pentoney married Mary Jane Widmyer. They had five boys and three girls, my Dad, Emory Michael being the eldest. They lived on a farm near Spohrs Cross Roads where Dad met and wed my Mother, Ida Elizabeth Kesecker."

I do not at this time have any further info for you. Don't know what happened to the Caw family. Will try to keep my eyes and ears open.

Posted: 10 Apr 2002 5:19PM GMT
There is obviously something wrong with the sentence about Michael Pentoney and his wife Elizabeth Caw. Did Michael's father perhaps purchase the land in 1821 and then Michael purchased a portion of it in 1849? According to marriage records (as found on ancestry.com) Michael and Elizabeth married on 18 Nov 1844 in Morgan County.

Posted: 10 Apr 2002 5:30PM GMT
Surnames: CAW, PENTONEY
There may be something wrong with the information. I was simply providing direct information that I had from a book. I myself do not have any knowledge and was only trying to be helpful and post the information that I had. Perhaps this kind of help is not the best to offer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions