Search for content in message boards

Phillip Beamer/Rhoda Lundy Grayson, VA

Phillip Beamer/Rhoda Lundy Grayson, VA

Posted: 6 Apr 2008 2:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Beamer, Lundy
Am looking for any information, but especially anecdotes, about Phillip Beamer, born 1780 in Greenville, VA, died Nov 1832 in Grayson, VA. He was married to Rhoda Lundy 1801 in Carroll, VA. She was born 30 Mar 1783 in PA and died 1850 in Grayson, VA. They were my gggg-grandparents. Thank you.

Re: Phillip Beamer/Rhoda Lundy Grayson, VA

Posted: 27 Jun 2008 8:07PM GMT
Surnames: Beamer, Lundy
I believe you and I are fourth cousins, once removed. Philip and Rhoda Beamer are my 3X grandparents. I have been studying my family’s history for over twenty years. It is amazing how little progress I have made on the Beamers before Philip Beamer.

My original source remains the best one. Because so many of the early Beamer family trees on Rootsweb contain the same factual errors and typos, I have to suspect many of these people got their trees from the same letter that was sent to my father in 1978 by a young farmer’s wife in Nebraska, researching her husband’s tree. She said she had sent out over 150 copies and was discouraged as only about 40 had replied.

“Richard Beamer, with his family, came to this section (between Fancy Gap and Hillsville, Va.) of Carroll County about the year of 1790 and settled at a place that has since been known as Beamer Knob (elev. 3,379’). He there procured land, erected a home, reared a family and spent the remainder of his life. When he came here, he left relatives on New River, in what is now Giles County.

The children of Richard Beamer were two sons and four daughters. One of the daughters married a man named Davis; they moved to Tennessee, another married a man named McCrawford, another married Howell H. Dean, and the other Harrison Dean. They all reared families in this region. Henry, a son, while a young man, moved to North Carolina where he reared a family and many of his descendants may be found in Surry County to this day. (Sept 12, 1932). Info gathered by a Judge Bolen in Hillsville, Va.

Philip, the other son, married Rhoda Lundy and remained on his father’s estate and had the following children: five sons & five daughters. Peter L. Beamer, Henry, and Isaac all spent their entire lives in the region. Noah (Menoah) moved to Missouri, Richard moved to California, Florence (Frances) married Newell Combs. Polly married Isaac Edwards, Rena married Elijah Edwards, “Tena” married Jonathan R. Sumner, they made their home and reared their family in Carroll County until several of the children were grown, they then moved to Missouri. Sarah Beamer married Isaac Branscomb, who made their home and reared their family in Grayson County, Virginia.”

I'd better make a few quick commnets on the above. The patriarch Richard's wife is often listed as Charity with no maiden name. Phillip and Rhoda's child Isaac is listed as William Isaac more often. Interestingly, he married his first cousin, Mahulda Harrold. Her mother was Rhoda's sister.

Elsewhere, I have Judge Bolen of Hillsville, Va. listed as having Beamer ancestors. His photo can be found on the website www.newrivernotes.com. It is an excellent site for learning how southwestern Virginia came to be settled. It includes many notes on many surnames. Surprisingly, Beamer has only one minor mention on the site. I do have three other surnames of my ancestors from the region listed at length.

One of those is Lundy. Rhoda Lundy’s tree is very easy to trace, as she was a Quaker, and the Quakers are meticulous record keepers. You will find several versions of her tree on this web site and also familysearch.org (my favorite). I have traced Rhoda’s Lundy ancestors all the way back to England in the early 1600s. Note some trees have a typo for Rhoda’s birthplace as Hardwick, Sussex County, VA. It is actually the same as her mother’s, Hardwick, Sussex County, NJ.

Her parents married in her mother’s home Quaker community and had their first few children there before moving across the river into Pennsylvania to her father’s home Quaker community where they lived for some more years before migrating with the extended Lundy family by the Great Wagon Road down to Deep River, a Quaker community in North Carolina, near the Virginia border. From there, they finally moved to a Quaker community in Grayson County, VA.

Rhoda married when she was 15 and was “dismissed from unity,” that is, stricken from the roles of the Quaker community for having married a gentile (non Quaker). Philip was 18 when he married. Though he was apparently the youngest of his parents’ children, he inherited the log cabin his father built and the 380 acre homestead. Rhoda appears in the 1850 census living in the household of Isaac Branscomb, the husband of her daughter, Sarah.

Be careful when dealing with the county names Montgomery, Grayson, and Carroll. They can all refer to the same place. As I understand it, when southwestern Virginia began to be settled, most of the region was Montgomery County. As the population grew and the 18th century came to a close, Montgomery County was split, the new part being Grayson County. Perhaps after 1830, Grayson County was split, the new part being Carroll County. The Beamer homestead was listed for a time in each of the three counties. Today, Hillsville is in Carroll County. A clearer explanation of this along with maps and dates can be found on the New River Notes website mentioned above.

Sorry to have gone on for so long. I hope you find something of interest in this.

Re: Phillip Beamer/Rhoda Lundy Grayson, VA

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 3:52PM GMT
Surnames: BEAMER, LUNDY
Curtis Beamer, living in Wytheville, VA has written a book about the family of Phillip Beamer and Rhoda Lundy and their descendents. I sopke with him on the telephone a few years ago and he told me the book is the genealogy of his own personal ancestors. I understand the book was being sold in shops in the Wytheville area. Most likely it is also in the public library there too.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions