Search for content in message boards

George Tichenor Los Angeles, CA, ca 1930

George Tichenor Los Angeles, CA, ca 1930

Posted: 9 May 2012 8:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 May 2012 11:35AM GMT
Surnames: Tichenor, Irish
I am looking to learn about these two that appear in the 1930 census. My Grandfather was born in 1904, his birth-name was George Tichenor. I know little about his early life. He completely changed his name around 1933 to Jay B. Irish, whereupon he joined the military and came to Texas. I suspect that the enumerated George Tichenor could be him. There was a child, (withheld) listed as well (birth records list mother as withheld). If this is my Grandfather, Withheld would be my Aunt and my father's half-sister. Can anyone shed any light on this family? From what I've found, Edit. Thanks in advance! Judith

Re: George Tichenor m Mildred O'Rear, Los Angeles, CA, ca 1930

Posted: 10 May 2012 4:12PM GMT
Surnames: Tichenor, Irish , Wiegel, Guerin
This may not be of any connection but found odd. There was a man by the name of Herbert Elmer Tichenor that also changed his name from Tichenor to Irish. Here is his information:
Herbert Elmer Tichenor was b March 5, 1882 in Port Orford, OR. His parents were Jacob Brinkerhoff Tichenor b. Mar 2,1843 near Newark, NJ d. Mar 20, 1889 OR. and Mary Elizabeth Grant England b. Aug 27, 1851 in Wright Co. MO d. Nov 17,1936 in Myrtle Point, OR. They had 11 children with Herbert being the 9th child.
Herbert married Mabel Wiegle on Aug 27, 1903 in San Bernardino, Ca ; divorced; married 2nd Zina _________ and changed his name from Tichenor to Irish, and located in Cedar Rapids, IA. He was for many years an advanced agent for a traveling carnival.
He had two children:
1. Alice Margaret, m Fred Lafferty. She was adopted by her father's sister, Anna, and her husband Thomas Guerin. She graduated from San Jose Teacher's College, San Jose, CA. She taught school for a number of years in the OR school system. She and her Husband retired and where living in Brandon, OR in 1987.
2. Son, no data available

There is another thread here on Ancestry about this man titled, Sacramento Union article... relating to H.E. Tichenor Trial.

Re: George Tichenor Los Angeles, CA, ca 1930

Posted: 11 May 2012 12:31AM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2012 11:38AM GMT
hi, yes, that is my H.E. Tichenor who changed his name to Irish... then his son George Tichenor, also changed his name to Irish some 17 years after his father, except he changed his entire name. I have been hoping to get a hold of withheld. I left a Facebook message for her daughter, but think she may think I am some nut as I haven't heard back.
Anyway, My grandfather, changed his name at around the age of 32... so plenty of time for another family prior to marrying my grandmother in San Antonio.
If that George Tichenor in 1930 is my grandfather, it would mean my father may have a half-sister out there. I can't say for certain that is my George Tichenor/Jay Irish, but I haven't had any luck placing him with a Tichenor family yet.
Thanks so much for your reply!
Judith
edited, living descendants deleted

Posted: 11 May 2012 1:15AM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2012 11:40AM GMT
I just re-read your post... Wow... an advanced agent (not sure what that is)? I saw in a Fort Worth directory where it said "Showman", though I didn't really know what that meant... though carnival did come to mind.
The post about the trial was mine. I also found a divorce action in Cedar Rapids from April 1917 where someone was divorcing a Herbert E. Tichenor for drunkeness and abuse. I kind of dismissed it, but now, I'm not so sure. H.E. Tichenor married Zina Kirkwood on July 16, 1917 in Waco, TX. Then they went back up to Waterloo, IA around 1932. I think Zina just left her husband, Arvine Ayres as he is listed in 1920 as a widower... this stuff is crazy! Please feel free to look at my family tree. I grew up with the name Irish, yet, I knew we must have had another name as we had NO relatives beyond my grandfather and immediate family.. I would love to talk to withheld as she is a member here, haven't had any luck yet. I think the last time she logged in was in January. Apparently H.E. Tichenor was placed in Oregon's state school in the 1890's. I have found a couple of articles that indicate that there may have been some abuse at the home involving Herbert...I'm thinking this may have had some bearing in how he turned out. It would appear he eventually calmed down as he and Zina were married until their deaths, six weeks apart in 1961... How/where did you learn about the carnival stuff? Fascinating! Thank you so much!

Posted: 11 May 2012 2:30AM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2012 11:41AM GMT
Oh yes, I meant to say I was also aware of his sister Alice as apparently my Grandfather never forgave Mabel Weigel Tichenor for giving her up. I just find it odd that my Grandfather also changed his name. As someone else on the message boards said to me..."Strange family!"
I would actually like to forget about seeing that George Tichenor in the 1930 census, but I know that will probably continue to gnaw at me. Got to love the internet and the generous folk of this community!

Posted: 11 May 2012 1:29PM GMT
All the information I posted came from the Tichenor Families of America written by Harold Tichenor, published in 1988. I don't believe the book is still in print as Harold died several years back. This is one of the most informative ancestry books I have come across. It is very well accomplished. A few Libraries have copies.
Glad to help.

Posted: 11 May 2012 6:38PM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2012 11:42AM GMT
I did see where someone is selling a CD of the book online. I will likely purchase it. So, in the event anyone is curious, the son with unknown info is/was George Tichenor, b. 10 Aug 1904... aka Jay B. Irish: My Grandfather. He was born in Los Angeles, he joined the military in 1933 and was stationed at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX. I have a bit more information about him in my family tree.
Thanks again... it really meant a lot to know that Herbert E. Tichenor is in the Tichenor book and even more importantly, that he changed his name to Irish. My Mum is from England, and I have a very thorough English genealogy, my American side has eluded me my entire life. My Grandfather never uttered the name Tichenor. So, I SHOULD have been born a Tichenor. I have always wondered though, why the name Irish?

Posted: 11 May 2012 7:12PM GMT
I will take your information and add it to the additions that I am making if someone were to ever attempt to update the book. I was born a Tichenor and even you have some negativity within the Tichenor name. My family is very proud to carry it. You know what they say "Every family has their skeletons if you look hard enough". lol Thank you for sharing. Your story has been interesting.

Posted: 11 May 2012 7:43PM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2012 11:47AM GMT
Actually, I think it is cool! Sorry if I came across negatively. I finally know the story. Life is life, people are people. No one is perfect, however, it has been very interesting/exciting to fill in some of the back-story. I can actually say I am thrilled to know I am truly a Tichenor! I finally know! Despite anything I discover, I always try to put it in context. So, thank you SOOO very much. I would love to know if I have any other relatives relating the the Capt. Tichenor branch. Is there ever any reunions? I do plan to visit Oregon this fall. I love to lay my eyes on scenes that my ancestors did.... makes me sentimental.
Judith
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions