Search for content in message boards

tracing land occupiers - Killead Antrim

tracing land occupiers - Killead Antrim

Posted: 2 May 2010 6:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have photographed copies of a land indenture my GGG grandfather George Davison had with Hon Hercules Robert Pakenham in 1823. It says that the lease is for 22 acres in Crosshill Killead from Nov 1824 for 21 years or the life of John Thompson, son of Samuel Thompson, Muckamore Abbey, which ever is longer. I can see by the Griffith Valuations that his son William John Davison is the landholder for this land in 1862 yet my G grandfather Allen Davison (and now his descendants) live on a different property in Randox (the neighbouring townland)
Can anyone help me with information on how I can find out what happened to the lease on the property or trace the landholders from 1862.
Actually I have a couple of parcels of land I would like information on so hopefully I will be able to find out information on them as well.
If anyone can help or need further information, please reply.
Lea-Anne

Re: tracing land occupiers - Killead Antrim

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 11:19AM GMT
Lea-Anne,

The ownership of land is recorded by the Land Registry (in Dublin for Co Antrim deeds prior to 1922. You have to pay a fee to search). There is no requirement to register leases, as far as I know. Each party to a lease keeps a copy but what happens to those documents after the lease expires is anyone's guess. Some people might keep the lease with the deeds but I don't think there is a legal requirement to keep it. You could try writing to the current owners of the land to see if they know, but I wouldn't be too optimistic after all this time.

By the way, are you aware that Killead is in the small part of the 1851 census which has survived. If not, you can look at it on:

www.homepage.ntlworld.com/derek.hawthorne/Antrim5113.html

Elwyn

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 2:29PM GMT
Surnames: Davison
Hi I was very excited to read this search. My name is Alma Curry, but I was Davison before I got married. I lived at Crosshill before I was married. I believe that I was living on the farmland which you are researching. My father was William James Davison. He was born in 1926 and passed away in June 2008. His father was William John Davison and his father was James Davison. They all farmed the land at Crosshill and went to Killead Church of Ireland at Killead. I am interested to know if you have heard of Agnes Davison who was my granda's sister. She left Crosshill and went to Australia . I would love to find out what happened to her.
Many thanks.

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 10:30PM GMT
Edited: 20 Oct 2011 11:16PM GMT
Hello Alma
My name is Lea-Anne Davison and I live in Bargara Queensland Aust. I have been researching my Irish ancestors for a couple of years now. I believe we do have a connection. I will briefly list how I am connected and if you would like to be in contact more you can email me. I will send my email to you via a private message.
My ggrandfather is Allen Davison b 1855 from Randox. He is the brother of James Davison b abt 1854, George b 1851, William Robert b abt 1853, Anne Jane b abt 1859, Eliza b 1861, John Alexander b 1864 and Lucinda b abt 1866.
I have the following on James Davison who I feel must be your ggrandfather. All my information is from research so sometimes the names are wrong. James married Emily Lilley in 1890 and they had 2 children - William John Lilley Davison and Agnes Davison. Unfortunately I have nothing at all on Agnes. I didn't know that she came to Aust, but now that I do I will do some research here to see what I can find out. William John was b 1891 married Jean (I don't have a last name - so any further information from you would be greatly appreciated) My information from here on is very limited. So again I would be great to swap information with you. I know of one son born to William and Jean, and I have his name as William John (where you have William James). From here on I have no information. Would you beleive I was in Randox in July and visited Catherine Kerr. We drove past what I believe to be your mother's house and were going to call in but her car wasn't there so we didn't. I visited the parish church at Killead.
I am so glad you found my post and contacted me, please keep in touch.
Regards,
Lea-Anne

Re: tracing land occupiers - Killead Antrim-James Davison

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 5:06AM GMT
Surnames: DAVISON
Hello Alma
I think I may be related to your JAMES DAVISON. Was he from Ballynadrentagh, Killead? He had brothers William & Robert in Liverpool, England. He also had a couple of sisters Ellen Jane and Margaret in Liverpool. Margaret was my GG Grandmother.
Regards
Pat Berry in Australia

Re: tracing land occupiers - Killead Antrim-James Davison

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 3:05AM GMT
Hello Pat
Unfortunately the James Davison from Ballyadrentagh is not the same one as my ancestor James Davison from Crosshill. I have always wondered if there could be a connection further back but haven't been able to find one. The furtherest back I have found is George Davison of Crosshill who died in 1854. I don't know how old he was when he died but he did have a lease on land in 1804 so I would suspect he was in his 70s or 80s. I haven't been able to find out who he married either. If you have research that would be of use I would appreciate you contacting me via pm and I will give you my email address.
Regards
Lea-Anne

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 5:02AM GMT
Hi Leanne,

You forgot one brother to Uncle Allan (your grandfather) and that is my Dad's (Matthew) dad - Archibald Davison.

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 5:20AM GMT
Hi again Leanne, I re-read what you said and I see you had great grandfather not grandfather lol,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions