Search for content in message boards

Cornelis Verwey

Cornelis Verwey

Karen Hey (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2003 11:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for information about my great-grandfather, Cornelis Verwey. He was born in the Netherlands in 1843 and arrived in the US between 1903-1910 (I'm guessing). Supposedly he was killed by a freight train before my grandmother arrived in the country in 1913. One of the addresses I have for him is 35 Parker Ave. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get some info, via the internet, as to when he died or where he might be buried? Also, can anyone tell me which district Burgess Place is in (just in case I can ever get any census info off the internet)?

Re: Cornelis Verwey

Posted: 19 Mar 2003 1:24AM GMT
Karen,

1910 Federal Census, New Jersey, Passaic County, Passaic, ED 74 (missing on Ancestry), Sheet 14A, living at 243 Burgess Place is Maria Verwey, age 24 born in Holland. She is listed as a sister-in-law.

There is a Cornelius Verwey living at 268 Autumn Street in the same ED, age 31.

Are these two people part of your Verwey family?

Carol-Anne

Karen Hey (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2003 6:46PM GMT
I think they are both family - children of the Cornelis I'm looking for. What does ED stand for?

Does it say who Maria is sister-in-law of? I've not been able to get into the census records, so I don't know how they function.

Is there any info on Johanna Hey in the 1920 census? When she and her family arrived in 1913, they lived at 251 Burgess Place with a brother-in-law ( I think ) - I think the name is Snoep. Thanks for answering me! K

Karen Hey (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2003 10:07PM GMT
I spent the evening going through some letters from an uncle, and apparently my great-grandfather Cornelis was living in Spencer Place, Garfield when he was killed by the train.
Now I'm wondering if there might be any Verweys in Clifton, because another letter mentioned something about Richfield. Some of the other names of the family members are:Gijsbert(Gilbert)Andries, Leendert(Leonard)and Marinus. I wouldn't know the married names of the sisters.

Carol-Anne Trier (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2003 11:42PM GMT
Karen,

ED means enumeration district. Each county was divided into numerous ED's (sections if you wish) when the census was taken. The size of the ED varied according to how denslely populated or not an area was. An enumerator (census taker) then went house to house in that ED to speak with the inhabitants. Not only were counties divided into ED, but large towns and cities.

This is a transcription of the 1910 Federal Census, New Jersey, Passaic County, Passaic, ED 74, Sheet 14A, April 26, 1910

Living at 243 Bugess Place, starting with line 21 (each person is on a different line)

Snoop, Francis C, Head (this mean head of household), male, white, 32, M1 (this means he is married and this is the first marriage), married 8 years, born in Hol-Dutch, father born Hol-Dutch, mother born Hol-Dutch, immigrated 1892, naturalized, speaks English, builder of houses,

Posted: 19 Mar 2003 11:49PM GMT
I hit the wrong button before I finished the transcription..... to continue Francis Snoop..........

can read, can write, owns the home, there is a mortgage, and it is a house not a farm.

There are ten more people living at the same address including Maria Verwey. This would take a long time for me to transcribe. Please contact me at catdncing@msn.com for further information.

Carol-Anne

Posted: 20 Mar 2003 12:23AM GMT
Karen,

There is a tremendous amount of info about the Verwey, Snoep (Snoop) and Hey families in the census data. Please contact me at my private e-mail address: catdncing@msn.com

Carol-Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions