Search for content in message boards

Holleran Later Hollern - From County Cork, Ireland to Lykens and Steelton, PA

Holleran Later Hollern - From County Cork, Ireland to Lykens and Steelton, PA

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 3:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Mar 2013 2:38AM GMT
Surnames: Holleran Hollern McAuliffe
I am attempting to trace my mother's side of the Irish Family Tree back to Ireland. My 3rd great grandfather Daniel Holleran later Hollern was born on or about 1835 in County Cork, Ireland. He married Margaret Ann McAuliffe (from Whitechurch, County Cork, Ireland) and had 6 children (possibly 7) born in Lykens, PA, David D. Hollern (b. abbt. 1858-1945), Daniel Hollern(b. abbt. 1858-1878), Ellen E. Hollern (b. abbt. 1860-1950), Dennis J. Hollern (b. abbt. 1864-1926), John J. Hollern (priest)(b. abbt. 1866-1912), and Mary Hollern (b. abbt. 1872-1878). Most of the family moved from Lykens, PA to Steelton, PA except for Father John J. Hollern who was in Columbia and York, PA. Daniel Hollern died in 1890 in the town of Lykens, PA USA and is buried in the Irish Catholic Cemetery in Lykens. Margaret Ann McAuliffe Hollern died in 1904 (Steelton, PA) and is buried in the Irish Catholic Cemetery in Lykens too.

I would appreciate any information on Daniel Holleran or Hollern and family in Ireland.

Thanks
Sharon

Re: Holleran - From County Cork, Ireland to Lykens and Steelton, PA

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 6:47AM GMT
See reply to McAuliffe/Holleran March 02, 2013

Re: Holleran Later Hollern - From County Cork, Ireland to Lykens and Steelton, PA

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 2:49PM GMT
Surnames: Holleran
Sharon,

I'm also trying to trace my Holleran line, but I don't know, with certainty, that they came from Cork.

My 2nd great grandfather Thomas Holleran arrived New York in 1850, with his future wife, Margaret A Reily. They married 1851 in Jersey City, NJ and had 5 known children: John, Maria Ann, Margaret, Catherine Veronica (my GGM) and Elizabeth.

When Elizabeth married in 1899, in Kearny NJ, there was a note on her R C marriage record of a dispensation for the marriage of cousins. She married Peter Gilmore, son of John Gilmore and Mary Britt(on). Therefore, there is a known connection between the 2 families, but I don't know yet from which side the cousinship stems.

When my GGM was baptized in 1860, in Jersey City, her godmother/sponsor was listed as Bridget Holleran. Unknown is she is a sister, cousin, aunt or in-law.

If any of this sounds like a connect, please let me know. I have marriage records for all the daughters. I lose John after the 1870 census. Thomas disappears from records about 1863 - last sighting is his Civil War draft registration, but no evidence found that he served or died in the War.

Margaret Reilly Holleran died 1882 in New Jersey, but her death certificate does not list the names of parents.

I have death records for Catherine, (wife of Joseph Patrick Hughes) in 1933, and Elizabeth, in 1939. I have approximate dates of death only for Margaret (married Charles A Drew) and Maria (married James F Ryan).

Hope we may be able to help each other.

Ann

Re: Holleran Later Hollern - From County Cork, Ireland to Lykens and Steelton, PA

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 3:34AM GMT
Surnames: Holleran or Hollern
Hi Ann! I'm so very sorry that I didn't see your note sooner. I have not been researching very long so I don't have a lot of information at this time. I'm in the process of contacting the Diocese of Harrisburg to obtain the family records. I'm not 100% certain that my Holleran family originated in Co. Cork either. My mother told me she thought it was Cork.

I do know that some of the family went to Pittsburgh, PA too but I haven't starting researching that part yet.

I would be more than happy to help, if I can, with the Holleran family information I might find.

Thank you so very much for responding.

Keep in touch.

Sharon

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 3:38AM GMT
Hi Sharon,

Good to hear from you.

From my research into the collateral Gilmore/Britt line mentioned in my previous message, I believe I have confirmed a connection to County Mayo.

Happy to share what I found there - but I think the file may be too large to attach here.

Posted: 9 Apr 2014 3:52PM GMT
Edited: 9 Apr 2014 3:59PM GMT
Sharon,

I've found several newspaper clippings mentioning "Father J J Hollern" in Harrisburg.

Would that be your John?

And here's Martha's obituary.
Attachments:

Posted: 10 Apr 2014 1:28AM GMT
Surnames: Holleran Hollern
Hi Ann! Yes, that is my 2nd great grandmother's obit however they had her name spelled wrong (can you believe that?) it is Margaret not Martha. Her son was Father John Joseph Hollern. Margaret was born in Whitechurch, Co. Cork, Ireland as Margaret Anne McAuliff, August 1832. She passed away 1/24/1904 like the obit mentions in Steelton, PA. I found her headstone which noted the Ireland information.

Thanks
Sharon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic