Search for content in message boards

McAuliffe Family from Whitechurch, County Cork, Ireland to Lykens and Steelton, PA USA

McAuliffe Family from Whitechurch, County Cork, Ireland to Lykens and Steelton, PA USA

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 1:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Mar 2013 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: McAuliffe Holleran Hollern
I am attempting to trace my mother's side of the Irish Family Tree back to Ireland. My 3rd great grandmother Margaret Anne McAuliffe (from Whitechurch, County Cork, Ireland) born on or about August 1834. Her parents were Dennis McAuliffe from County Cork, Ireland(b. abbt. 1814 - sometime after 1880 in Lykens, PA) and Ellen (maiden name unknown) from Glanmire, County Cork, Ireland (b. appt. 1805-1870 in Lykens, PA. There were two brothers Michael McAuliffe Sr. (1838-1917) and James McAuliffe (1842-1870). I believe that the siblings moved to Steelton or Harrisburg, PA.

She married Daniel Holleran later Hollern (born on or about 1835 in County Cork, Ireland) and had 6 children (maybe 7)born in Lykens, PA, David D. Hollern (b. abbt. 1858-1945), Daniel Hollern(b. abbt. 1858-1878), Ellen E. Hollern (b. abbt. 1860-1950), Dennis J. Hollern (b. abbt. 1864-1926), John J. Hollern (priest)(b. abbt. 1866-1912), and Mary Hollern (b. abbt. 1872-1878). Most of the family moved from Lykens, PA to Steelton, PA except for Father John J. Hollern who was in Columbia and York, PA. Daniel Hollern died in 1890 in the town of Lykens, PA USA and is buried in the Irish Catholic Cemetery in Lykens. Margaret Ann McAuliffe Hollern died in 1904 (Steelton, PA) and is buried in the Irish Catholic Cemetery in Lykens.

I would appreciate any information on Margaret Anne McAuliffe and family in Whitechurch, County Cork Ireland.

Thanks
Sharon

Re: McAuliffe Family from White Church, County Cork, Ireland to Lykens and Steelton, PA USA

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 6:40AM GMT
It is difficult to go back in Ireland much more than you have done already. You are very lucky to have the detail you have.

The earliest surviving offical records are the
Tithe Applotments: www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie

There were 110 McAuliffe's in Cork between 1820-1839

Whitechurch Parish.

Daniel McAuliffe, Dromagariffe Townland
______ McAuliffe, Sexton Townland

Whitechurch was a Parish and a townland, in the Poor Law Union of Cork. Within an area of 12 mi. from Cork City. It is still on maps of today about 6 mi. north of the City of Cork. Dromgarriff is there also.

There are many McAuliffe's in the Cork telephone book too many for writing letters. There are just 23 Holleran's in the telephone book but none in Cork. In the 1911 Census there are just two Holleran's.

Glanmire can be the name of a village and a road, the Parish is St. Anne, Shandon also in the PLU of Cork.

Tithe Applotments 1820-1839:

Holleran, John Inishannon Parish, Townland Inishark
is the only one listed for Cork.

By 1852 there are 11 McAuliffe's in Whitechurch Parish
3 still in Dromgarriff all named John, so could be one person with 3 portions of land. You can usually tell by the number of houses. There are 5 John's in all, 3 Daniel, and 3 James. www.askaboutireland.ie

www.irishgenealogy.ie you will find Cork baptism records
as perhaps more information than you have already.

You can try searching for gravestone inscriptions. Museum and Heritage Society often survey gravestones and sometimes have for sale. The Cork/local library might have these.

www.igp-web.com +Cork
www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+Cork
these resources have some church gravestone inscriptions.

Annette Code

Re: McAuliffe Family from White Church, County Cork, Ireland to Lykens and Steelton, PA USA

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 6:40PM GMT
WOW... thank you so very much. You have given me a lot of new information to research. I'm rather new at the genealogy research thing. I really appreciate your help. I guess I will researching for awhile.

Thank you again.

Sharon Williams DePamphilis

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 5:32PM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2013 12:26AM GMT
Hi Sharon,
I have been researching my fathers' family, who lived in Whitechurch from at least 1826 onwards till sometime between 1880 to 1901. They then moved closer to the Cork city.

The website with parish records for Whitechurch is www.rootsireland.ie. The only draw-back, is there is a charge for it. Whitechurch comes under the Parish of Blarney.

https://www.familysearch.org/ is a very good site which is being updated very often. It has a great range of records.

Griffiths land evualation site http://www.nli.ie/en/griffiths-valuation.aspx is a good one.

I hope this helps.

Mary Scanlon

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 2:47AM GMT
Hi Mary! Thank you so very much for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Re: McAuliffe Family from Whitechurch, County Cork, Ireland to Lykens and Steelton, PA USA

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 2:48AM GMT
Hi Mary! Thank you so very much for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions