Search for content in message boards

Where to from here? GOBBY

Where to from here? GOBBY

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 6:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,
I was just wondering if i could get some advice as to what i should try looking up to get more information about my Gobby ancestors.

I have managed to go back to a Joseph Gobby being born in 1821 and Christened at St Leonards Shoreditch. It tells me here that the parents are William Gobby and Ann. I have no record other than this linking them together and there is a William Gobby that comes up in later census' with a different named wife and no mention of Joseph (in relation to this family). Joseph was a French Polisher (as were many of the family). All of my direct line seems to be living in either Shoreditch or Bethnal Green.

Also, does anybody know the origin of the name Gobby? I have seem some mention of it being Dutch or Irish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Alana

Re: Where to from here? GOBBY

Posted: 3 Jan 2009 12:17PM GMT
This link may give you a clue and someone else on the same line

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=229...

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 4:47PM GMT
Hi Alana
I think we could have a link. I have William and Ann. William married 3 times and names Joseph Gobby as his father.
Regards
Lyn

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 11:35PM GMT
Ah excellent!

Can i ask where you found that his father was Joseph? I haven't been able to find that info.

Posted: 2 Jul 2009 9:40PM GMT
Hi Alana

My 3 x Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Gobby who married William Buckeridge in 1829 St Dunstans Stepney. The witness was William and Jane Gobby. There was a William Gobby widower who married Jane in @1826 St Dunstans Stepney so am assuming prob. her brother. This William I can trace and remarries for the 3rd time in 1847 to Elizabeth Brown. He is also a French Polisher, the only close IGI baptism for an Elizabeth Gobby is to a Joseph too. I wonder if I ordered the certificate the name of William's 3rd marriage Certificate would be father Joseph.

I can find a number of children to a Joseph and Ann in Holborn but none of them a William.

Have you managed to find out any other information on the Gobbys

Regards

Debs

Posted: 4 Jul 2009 2:23AM GMT
Thanks for your reply!
On the IGI i have found 2 brothers born to William Gobby and Ann. These were Joseph Gobby (1821) and William Gobby (1823). These were both baptised at St Leonards, Shoreditch. I have the found a marriage between William Gobby and Ann Gristoeckt at St Dunstan, Stepney (1824). There was a Joseph Gobby that witnessed this marriage. It looks as though this is the same William Gobby that remarried a couple of times but i cant figure it out for sure... I have been wanting to order the certificate for Williams 3rd marriage but getting certificates all the way to Australia isn't cheap. My funds just havent stretched that far for a little while!

I ordered the film for Elizabeth and William Buckeridge about a month ago as i was wanting to figure out if she was related. It seems as though she is!

I have been researching Gobby for quite a while and have a bit of information about the younger generations. You are more than welcome to have a good look at my tree.

Hope to hear from you soon!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic