Search for content in message boards

Castletownbere 1820s

Castletownbere 1820s

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 12:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there,

I am trying to trace further details of Walter Glover whose son was born in Castletownbere in 1822.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details...

Walter is also mentioned in the record of his daughter's marriage in Killeeternia 1828. His occupation is listed as a soldier.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details...

Does anyone have any ideas where I might trace any information on Walter. If he was a soldier, what was he doing in Castletownbere in 1822 ??

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: Castletownbere 1820s

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 11:43PM GMT
There was a British Army base on Bere Island just off Castletownbere at that time. Given his surname, which is not Irish,it is most likely he would have been attached to this base.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 9:36AM GMT
Thanks a million for that Collegefarm. Have you any idea if records exist for the base or do you know what regiments were based there ?

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 10:34AM GMT
Beara Historical Society www.bhs.ie. will be able to help you. They are also on rootsweb. Full details on their website.

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 11:11AM GMT
Thank you so much. I will check that out and will let you know if I find Walter.
Cheers

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 11:44AM GMT
Hope you find him. It's a beautiful part of the world if you need to look for him there.

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 8:09PM GMT
Castletownbere and Bere Island are beautiful! My husbands family is from the island. The harbor between the two is quite deep and able to shelter very large ships. It was here, that the French attempted to invade Britain in 1796 and there was a rush to defend the bay against further invasion. The British created the Martello towers on the island, construction believed to have begun in 1798.

Another significant event during that time period, the island suffered several famines and in 1822 particularly, due to a bad fishing season. A report was written 1824, now in the National Army Museum in London, describing the conditions by an army officer.

Just a few things you might consider in your research. Good luck!

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 8:44PM GMT
Thanks a million for the information. That time scale fits in well with Walter. Walter seems to have moved over the hills into Kerry and perhaps the conditions in Castletownbere were a factor in that move. I will definitely follow up on trying to find that Officer's report. I am in Dublin and travel to Kerry a lot, I think I might have to take a detour on my next trip and have a look at the Beara peninsula. Thanks again for the lead and I will let you know how I get on.
Many thanks,
Jan

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 10:54PM GMT
Might have som info pat25a@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions