Search for content in message boards

Barrett / Murray Families from County Cork, Ireland

Barrett / Murray Families from County Cork, Ireland

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 11:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for anyone that may have a connection to these families. Mary Barrett, daughter of John Barrett and Ellen Murray - farmers from Cork, immigrated on the Ship "Duke of Newcastle" from a British Port to the Port of Melbourne, Victoria. Arriving on the 21 June 1884, on board the same ship was a young Irishman called John Leary also born in Cork.
Ship-board romance maybe, but the couple were married on the 4 July 1884 at St. Francis RC Church in Melbourne.
The next known of the couple is that they were farming at Carsilebrook a small Farming Community 5 miles from Maryborough, Victoria.
There are no records of any children born to the couple, and Mary sadly died from T.B. in the Maryborough Hospital on the 21 August 1868 after only 12hrs. in hospital.
Strangely though on John's D.C. on the 30 November 1897 in Sydney, Nsw it's recorded that their daughter Ellen was aged 31yrs. at the time of her father's death. I have tried tracing Ellen who was probably married by that time, but have hit a brick-wall. I haven't had any luck in finding anything about Mary's family in Ireland either.
If anyone can help, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks, Rita

Re: Barrett / Murray Families from County Cork, Ireland

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 7:16AM GMT

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 8:26AM GMT
Your family may be from Desertserges. There is a Mary,born 1840 and lots of possible brothers and sisters.
Go to
irishgenealogy.ie
search with the parents names
don't forget because of illiteracy there were variants in the spellings of names
so for example,1843 Nell Barret born to John Barret and Nell Murry
There are also 86 John Learys born in the same parish

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 1:09AM GMT
Surnames: Barrett/O'Kane Families of Ireland
My great great grandmother was Mary Ellen Barrett, b. 1835?, who somehow landed in San Francisco at the age of 13 in 1848. She married John O'Kane in SF in 1860. There is tremendous confusion around her parentage. SF Genealogy has her born in Fermoy, County Cork. If that fits your story at all we should exchange the little info I have...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions