Search for content in message boards

1870 Census Moseley Hall Twp Lenoir County - occupations

1870 Census Moseley Hall Twp Lenoir County - occupations

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 10:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hopefully someone can help me with this one. My ancestor - Joseph Dukes - is listed in the 1870 Federal Census in Moseley Hall Township, Lenoir County. His occupation is listed as "dead head"? Throughout the census, I saw that others had this designation. He was previously designated as an overseer in the 1860 Census in Bear Creek Twp, Lenoir County. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks for your help!

Re: 1870 Census Moseley Hall Twp Lenoir County - occupations

Posted: 13 Sep 2013 3:22AM GMT
The Union Pacific RR web site (http://www.up.com/aboutup/reference/glossary/railroad_terms/...) has a glossary of terms, including this entry:

Deadhead
Movement of a crew from one point to another or to a train by vehicle transportation or by train.

I believe railroads go near that area? I don't know if this is what the census is referring to (maybe someone who managed the shuttling of crew members), but maybe?

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 1:04AM GMT
Was your ancestor, Joseph Dukes, originally from Bertie Co., NC., or at least one of those Eastern counties?

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 10:08AM GMT
Gloria - yes Joseph Dukes was my great(3)-grandfather and lived in Bertie county, at least what I can tell from the Census from 1820-1850. Apparently his wife Sarah died and he moved to Lenoir COunty where he was found in the 1860 and 1870 census. I cannot find any record of his death or burial. Do you have any information on Joseph or that line of Dukes?

Thanks!
Karen

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 3:54AM GMT
Don't have paperwork in front of me now. But the name Dukes caught my attention while researching my ancestors. My great-great grandfather was named Lemuel Rice. His wife was Sarah. I do not know Sarah's maiden name. One of their sons was named, according to records I found, Joseph Dukes Rice. His name was listed as Joseph Dukes Rice on records of his children. So he had to have gotten that name from some place.

DID YOU SEE THE FOLLOWING IN RESPONSE TO SOMEONE'S QUESTION ABT. DEAD HEAD?
"As a side note, Joseph was listed as the only one in his dwelling (#119). I believe his daughter, Sarah Elizabeth Harrison, also lived in Moseley Hall Twp so I don't know why she wouldn't take him in if he was handicapped." If you wish to correspond, my
e-mail is glotulip@hotmail.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic