Search for content in message boards

Cronin and Ronan Surname Question

Cronin and Ronan Surname Question

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 7:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ronan, Cronin, Ronayne, Cronan, Rohan, Rowan, Cronen
I have a Ronan GG Grandfather I am almost positive is from Cork. I however have found some very possible matches for records under the name Cronin. These names sound so much alike I could see them being mistaken for one another, easily. I have come across Ronan's and Cronin's that are witnesses or sponsors on family records for the other and thought that it must be a mistake by the transcriber into the books. Does anyone researching either of these names know if they are connected by one being the root surname? Is it possible that either came to be by a transcription error and the family stuck with it ( I had this happen on my paternal side).

Re: Cronin and Ronan Surname Question

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 7:58AM GMT
Yes, there are often errors in records but perhaps if you post some info on your GG grandfather then one may be able to comment better

Cheers

Frank
BMDnotices.com

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 3:52AM GMT
Hello,

One would not think a local priest knowing the distinction between two families would have made such an error but somebody may have been hard of hearing or absent-minded and have transposed names or otherwise made errors, as Frank suggested. Errors that you think possibly couldn't happen do occasionally happen.

According to Edward MacLysaght's books, Cronin was a sept in the ancient Corca Laoide (largely west Cork). They were erenaghs (tithe collectors) around Gougane Barra, an area which is sort of on the border of Cork and Kerry west of Macroom and north of Dunmanway. There were several small Ronan/Ronayne septs in Ireland. They seem to have been clustered in Mayo, Dublin, and east Cork. Hope that helps.

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 9:29AM GMT
Surnames: Cronan , Cronayne, Ronan, Ronayne, Cunningham, Whooly, Gilhooly, Gilhooley
Why I am interested in Cronin and Ronan being interchangeable is based on a working theory pertaining to a naming pattern quirk with in my Ronan family , along with 3 Ireland records ,and an 1850 US Census in NYC for a Patrick Ronan, I believe to be my GG Grandfather.

Patrick's very botched Death Record gave me Thomas and Elizabeth Gilhooly as Patrick's parents. I believe Thomas is correct! the1st son was named Thomas.The name Elizabeth, I believe was most likely a Mary Elizabeth. This was name of the 2nd daughter born to Patrick. The 2nd son James was named after his wife's father. Thus, I feel some sort of naming patern was used.
The quirk how ever lies with the name Arthur. A name given to the first sons of Patrick's sons Thomas and William and given to my Grandfather, the 2nd son of Patrick's youngest child Anna. There is no doubt its a naming pattern and connected to Patrick's side ( haven't found any reason to think Arthur is tied to Patrick's wife's' family).
Over at Brsgenealogy I found 1 record for an Arthur Ronan, birth April 1895 in St. Mary's/ Clonmel, Tipperary to James and Margaret McGinn.
From Irishgenealogy.ie I found a baptism in 1814 of a Margaret Emers in South, St.Finnbars ,Cork. Her sponsors were Arthur Ronan and Mary Cunningham.
I have Patrick immigrating in April 1849 age about 13. On an 1850 Census I found a Patrick closely matching mine living with a Mary Roonan, a Patrick, Margaret and John Cunnigham.
Now, just the other night I found another record at brsgenealogy for a marriage in St.Mary's -Clonmel between a Thomas Croyane and Mary Cunningham.

From the moment, I found the 1st record for Arthur Ronan, my gut has told me it is connected to my family. For almost as long I have toyed with the notion that my GGG Grandfather known to me as Thomas, is actually and Arthur Thomas, preferring to be called by the latter.

Please dont think I have chucked the possibility that Elizabeth Gilhooly is correct. I just have yet to get a closer connection then to a close vicinity between the surnames Gilhooly and Ronan, no records found , no connection in NYC either. I did however find a record for an Eliza Whooly whom married in Aughadown Feb 1825, the groom's name is unreadable.

Hopefully, all this is understandable !

Thanks for your input, Danielle

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 11:06PM GMT
According to MacLysaght, Gilhooly is a branch of O'Mulvey, and from Leitrim and Roscommon. Whooley, on the other hand, is a branch of O'Driscoll, from around the Clonakilty area. The name is common around Skibbereen. Eliza Wholly from Aughadown could have been one of them.

I have seen Driscoll mistranscribed as McCarthy. The names don't even LOOK alike nor do they have anything to do with each other, so ANY mistake is possible when whoever is writing the record just flips out. Good luck with your research!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions