Search for content in message boards

Looking for REDOTA in Rathcormac Co. Cork

Looking for REDOTA in Rathcormac Co. Cork

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 9:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murphy Keeffe Hegarty
Hello there - Thomas Murphy and Kate Keeffe were married in 1871 in Rathcormac RC Church Co. Cork. Thomas's address was given as REDOTA as were the addresses of both witnesses (Hegarty, Murphy) to the marriage. Redota doesn't seem to be a townland name and I have not been able to find mention of it on the early ordnance survey maps. I'm sure someone with local knowledge can shed a little light on the matter for me. Thanking you in advance -Tony

Re: Looking for REDOTA in Rathcormac Co. Cork

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 9:35AM GMT
There's a similar place name in Co. Waterford --- http://www.logainm.ie/Viewer.aspx?text=Redota&streets=ye...

Near Rathcormac there is this --- http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CountyCork/200...

Regards,
Jim

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 10:13AM GMT
thanks for that Jim
I had seen the message from 2000 and it sounds intriguing - maybe there's a story there to rediscover. I'm hoping that someone in the area around Rathcormac may have a little more information.
Based on your pointing out of Readoty in Co. Waterford (and I'm in Co. Waterford myself!) I discovered from Canon Power's Placenames of Decies (1908 & 1952) that it means 'burned mountain plain'. This obviously gives a good idea as to where Redota might be found... Thanks for your help Jim

Posted: 1 Jul 2013 6:26AM GMT
In 1834 my GG Grandfather Pat Callaghan worked at Lisnagar Demesne and when I got in touch with the Parish Priest in Rathcormack he gave me the names of all his children and they were born at Radota. Like you I couldn't find that place and inquired through a forum and the answer I got was-
Redota was just a small cluster of buildings now in ruins, where the workers for the Lisnagar Estate lived at sometime in the past - other than the ruins of the houses the only remaining referral to that settlement in the area is the Rhea Road.
Hope that helps,
Cheers Nita
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions