Search for content in message boards

Murphy Family,Cork City

Murphy Family,Cork City

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 1:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murphy
I was wondering if anybody could help me with information regarding my great grandfather,Cornelius Murphy and/or either of his wives, Norah(I dont have a surname for her) and Kate Burns.
Cornelius was born in 1865 to John Murphy and Ann Murphy and came from Gerald Griffin Street.I would love to know anything about his early life.

He married Norah(born c.1872)and lived on Alexandra Road in 1901 and had 4 children,John,May,Edward and Cornelius.After she died, he married Kate(born c.1872) in 1906 in the South Chapel,Dunbar St.They lived on Gasworks Rd in 1911.Kate came from Blarney and her fathers name was Timothy.She died in 1918.

If anybody has information on any of these people I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Dee

Re: Murphy Family,Cork City

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 12:20PM GMT
I am a volunteer with the Ireland Reaching Out Programme. Please log onto www.irelandxo.com.
Thank you.

Posted: 2 May 2013 2:26AM GMT
Hi Dee, Cornelius and Kate were my great great grandparents. I would be happy to share any information I have with you.

Posted: 2 May 2013 8:02PM GMT
That would be great thank you!
I know when Cornelius was born and I was told he came from Gerald Griffith Street but I have no information regarding him between his birth and the 1901 census which is a 36 year gap!I have asked relatives what they know about him but nobody seems to know anything but one relative gave me a copy of his baptismal cert and a photo of him with his son Patrick.I know his parents were called John Murphy and Ann but I dont know Ann's maiden name.To be honest there's an awful lot I dont know and I'm trying to piece the story together myself so I would really appreciate anything you could tell me about either of them!Can I ask which of Cornelius and Kates children you are a descendent of?
Thanks a million for any help you could give me
Dee

Posted: 2 May 2013 8:38PM GMT
Ann's maiden name was also Murphy. Cornelius was in fact a mason who worked on Collins' Barracks in Cork.My great grandfather was Patrick. From what my grandfather knows, we think Cornelius came from Matehy, near Donoughmore. May I ask which child you descend from? If you need anymore information, I would be happy to help.

Posted: 2 May 2013 9:55PM GMT
Thanks!I saw on his marriage record to Kate that he was a mason but I didnt know he worked on Collins Barracks.Would you know anything about Kate?All I know is that she came from the Blarney area and she was a widow when she married Cornelius.My grandmother was Hannah.
Thanks again!

Posted: 2 May 2013 11:33PM GMT
Was Hannah one of Kate's children? I know that her previous married name was Higgins but I do not think that there were any children born from that marriage. I have asked my grandfather about Kate and all he seems to know is that there may be some connection to The Huntsman pub in Blarney. Unfortunately I do not know the name of Kate's mother so I cannot trace her birth, though I am still working on it.

Posted: 2 May 2013 11:53PM GMT
Yeah Hannah was Kate and Cornelius's youngest child.I was told that Hannah was a month or so old when Kate died in 1918.Patrick was also one of their children along with Timothy. The rest were the children of Cornelius's first marriage.I've never heard of the Huntsman pub but ill look it up and see if I can find anything on it or else I might pop out there and have a look myself when I get a chance. I've been trying to trace Kate too but nothing seems to show up but ill keep looking anyway and hopefully something will appear eventually!

Posted: 2 May 2013 11:59PM GMT
I never knew that they had a child called Hannah. Any info would be great because I've been trying to trace her for sometime now to no avail.

Posted: 3 May 2013 12:22AM GMT
What I know so far is that Cornelius and Kate lived in Langford Row in Cork City where Hannah was born and raised and grew up with Timothy and Patrick.The older children were called John, Mary(May),Edward(Alfie) and Denis.If you look on my family tree you'll see my photos of Hannah,some of Mary and one of Cornelius with Patrick. As Kate died when Hannah was very young,she didn't have any memories to give to my mother to pass on to me.She was told that Kate is buried in the Blarney area but i'll have to ask my mother the name of the place and i'll let you know.
Hannah married Richard Barrett and had 5 children,James,Patrick,Eva,Denis and Richard who grew up in Ballinlough.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions