Search for content in message boards

Corcoran of Kilavulllen Parish, near Mallow

Corcoran of Kilavulllen Parish, near Mallow

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 2:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for John Corcoran of Kilavullen Parish born about 1808 who emigrated to the US. He married Honora Barry and they had a daughter in Ireland in 1827 called Margaret Corcoran.

pbates46@hotmail.com

Re: Corcoran of Kilavulllen Parish, near Mallow

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 2:12PM GMT
Hello magzerflood,

I located what may be the baptism index for your Margaret Corcoran at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Cork (North & East). The index shows that Margaret was baptized in the Charleville Roman Catholic Church in 1828. The IFHF search engine accepted John Corcoran and Honora Barry as the name of Margaret’s parents.

The index is below:

1 match for the search criteria: Corcoran Margaret 1828 Parish: CHARLEVILLE (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Cork (North & East)
Surname: Corcoran
First Name: Margaret
Father's Surname: Corcoran
Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname: Barry
Mother's First Name: Honora

Year: 1828

Parish/District: CHARLEVILLE (RC)
____

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the baptism index for Margaret Corcoran that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain a transcription of the baptism from the IFHF. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcriptions. The IFHF website has more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=78

Margaret’s baptism transcription may include the exact date of baptism, the names of her godparents and also the name of the parish priest who baptized her. To see a sample Catholic Church baptism transcription from the IFHF, go to:
http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=samplerecords#baptis...

Next I looked for but didn’t find any other children for John Corcoran and Honora Barry who were baptized in the Charleville Catholic Church, nor in any other church in County Cork or in Ireland.

I then looked for the IFHF marriage index for John Corcoran and Honora Barry but did not find it in County Cork or any other county in Ireland.

The Catholic Parish of Charleville, as well as the town of Charleville itself, are located in County Cork, and are on the border with County Limerick. The Catholic Parish actually extends into County Limerick. To see a Catholic Parish map showing the location of Charleville, go to the Irish Times website link at: http://tinyurl.com/7kbzdva

To view a Google Map of Charleville, Cork, go to: http://tinyurl.com/d5offu9

Once at the map go to the Zoom-in/Zoom-out gage located in the upper left corner of the map, and Zoom-in toward the top of the gage, but not all the way to the top of the gage so that more landmarks and building sites of Charleville are delineated. The Catholic Church that serves the parishioners of Charleville and surrounding townlands is called Holy Cross, located off a street called the Turrets. The Turrets ties into Main Street. On the map you’ll see the Letter A pointing to Main Street in Charleville. Main Street is colored green. The Turrets is located north (above) the letter A.

The Church of the Holy Cross would not be the parish church where Margaret was baptized, as this church was built in 1902. She was likely baptized in the old Catholic Church located on Chapel Street. The Chapel Street church was built in 1812. Chapel Street is located just above the letter A. The old church today is used as a Parochial Hall. To travel to Chapel Street, left-click on the letter A to generate a “Street-view” thumbnail photo of the town. Next, click on the photo to enlarge the image, and you’ll be able to navigate your way up Main Street before taking a right turn onto Chapel Street. Go down Chapel Street just a little way and on the left you’ll see a stone building with a steeple, a clock, blue and red stained class windows, and blue doors. This may be the old Catholic Church and current Parochial Hall. It is also likely the building in which Margaret Corcoran was baptized.

Chapel Street turns into Newtownbarry Street. If you travel down Newtownbarry Street, you’ll soon come to County Limerick.

JOHN CORCORAN

Information you supplied to the Ancestry.com message board for County Cork, notes that John Corcoran was born about 1808 and from the Parish of Killavullen. With this information I looked for John Corcoran’s baptism index at the IFHF website for County Cork (North & East). Indexes at the IFHF website do not automatically provide you with the names of the parents in a baptism index. You either have to know their names, or find out what their names were through additional research. The other options are to guess the first names of the father and mother, or go ahead and order the baptism transcription for the child to find out who the parents were.

I located the baptism index for a John Corcoran, showing that his baptism took place in the Killavullen Catholic Church in 1808. The index is below minus the name of his parents. The alternative spelling for this town was Killawillin, located in the Civil parish of Monanimy:

1 match for the search criteria: Corcoran John 1808 Parish: KILLAVULLEN (RC)

First Name: John
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1808

Parish/District: KILLAVULLEN (RC)
____

I then took a few guesses as to the first name of John’s parents. After a few tries the IFHF search engine accepted James as the first name of the father, and Joan as the first name of the mother in the baptism index for John Corcoran. The revised baptism index is below:

Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name: Joan

____

I then wanted to see if I could find out what Joan Corcoran’s maiden name was. To atrempt this I looked at the 10 most popular names in the Civil Parish of Monanimy as recorded in an Irish property tax record known as Griffiths Valuation. Griffiths Valuation was enumerated in the 32 counties of Ireland between the years 1847-1864. The enumeration for County Cork, and hence Monanimy, took place between 1851-1853. The Irish Times website has a listing of the 10 most popular surnames recorded in Griffiths Valuation for the Civil parish of Monanimy. See: http://tinyurl.com/cz444bq

I’ve also included these 10 surnames below for quick viewing:

Most common surnames in Monanimy in 1851-3

Surname Households

Magner 17
Nagle 14
Brien 11
Foley 11
Walsh 11
Lane 10
Mahony 9
Barry 8
Curtin 7
Donohoe 7
____

While Griffiths Valuation was recorded in County Cork over 40 years after John Corcoran was born, I figured there was a slight chance that a person with his mother Joan’s maiden name, would have been listed as one of the most common surnames in Monanimy.

As you can see at the Irish Times link, the 10 most common surnames in Monanimy begin with Magner and end with Donohoe.

Next I went back to the IFHF baptism index for John Corcoran and typed Magner as the Mother’s Surname, and to my surprise, the search engine accepted Magner as Joan’s maiden name. This doesn’t usually happen when I’m searching for maiden names in a baptism index, and in more cases than not, the IFHF search engine rejects the surnames I enter.

The revised index below shows that John Corcoran’s parents were James Corcoran and Joan Magner:

Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname: Magner
Mother's First Name: Joan

____

To confirm that Joan’s maiden surname was Magner, order the baptism transcription for John Corcoran from the IFHF.

In your research have you ever come across the surname Magner, but couldn’t determine how it may have fit into your family history?

Next I looked for Honora/Hanora/Hannah etc. Barry’s baptism index in the Killavullen Catholic Church but didn’t find it. Because I don’t know who her parents were, and because it appears she wasn’t baptized in the Killavullen Catholic Church, I couldn’t perform a comprehensive search for her in County Cork. She may have been baptized in a church parish with records that no longer exist back to the early 1800s.

As a point of interest, according to the IFHF website, baptisms for the Catholic Parish of Killavullen were indexed and transcribed for the years 1805-1895, while marriages for the church were indexed and transcribed for the years 1806-1875. If James Corcoran and Joan Magner were married in Killavullen prior to 1806 there will not be a marriage record for them.

Next, go back to the Google Map for Charleville at: http://tinyurl.com/d5offu9

To the left of the map you’ll see highlighted in blue the prompt labeled, “Directions.” Click on Directions and in the drop-down box labeled A, type in Killavullen,County Cork, and then click on “Get Directions.”

The next map that appears shows that the shortest distance between Charleville, at letter B, and Killavullen, at letter A, is along the New Road/N20 dual carriageway. This distance is shown to be 32.1 kilometers, or 20 miles distance. Next enlarge the map by going up the Zoom-in/Zoom-out gage to beyond the half-way point to the top of the gage, all the while keeping the letter A for Killavullen in the center of the page. Left-click on the letter A to generate a photo of Killavullen. Then click on the photo and you’ll be dropped off in front of the Killavullen Catholic Church. This is the St. Nicholas Catholic Church, built 1839-1840, too late to have been the church where John Corcoran was baptized. I’m not sure where the earlier church in Killavullen was located.

For a history of Killavullen, go to: http://homepage.eircom.net/~killavullen/History/History.htm

Also see the Wikipedia article at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killavullen

I hope this information has been of interest.

Sincerely,

Dave Boylan

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 8:16PM GMT
Thanks Dave. I posted it on behalf of someone else so I have forwarded your reply on.

Maura

Posted: 9 May 2013 12:19PM GMT
You're welcome Maura.

Dave

Posted: 10 May 2013 2:17AM GMT
What an amazing amount of research to do for someone, Dave. Very impressive and I hope she knows how lucky she is.

Posted: 18 May 2013 2:09PM GMT
Thank you vlbcfb.

Kind regards,

Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions