Search for content in message boards

Where to digitally share funeral card collection

Where to digitally share funeral card collection

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 3:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
My parents are now in possession of a good sized collection (100s but I suspect my aunt has more) of funeral cards collected by my maternal grandfather's family. The funeral cards cover the late 1800s to the early 2000s. Some are relatives and some are neighbours, etc. whose funerals my relatives attended.

I am in the process of digitizing every card. I will upload the relevant ones to my tree on Ancestry but I'd like to share all of them online, somewhere, so anyone can find them.

Can anyone suggest a place to share these? Once upon a time I did create my own basic websites but I really don't want to go through the time consuming process of doing that again. I don't know that using a blog is the best option as I won't be updating it once all the cards are shared.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Where to digitally share funeral card collection

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 4:00PM GMT
You could post the information contained on the cards on the relevant surname boards here and attach a copy of the card's image to your post.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 4:04PM GMT
You could contact local libraries, historical societies, towns, counties, and universities. They might have digitization projects in progress.

Don't give up the originals, though. They're priceless!

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 4:18PM GMT
Thanks for the suggestions.

The process is a bit slow as I am only able to do the work when I am at my parents' place which is on the other side of the country. I'm there about once a month for work and am busy scanning things in the evening.

The collection will not be leaving our hands, that is for sure. The cards have already proved to be very useful to my work. A relative obtained a transcribed copy of my g-g-grandparents' marriage certificate from the archdiocese in Paderborn, Germany. It listed the bride and groom's parents with place of residence and the womens' maiden names so I thought we'd solved the mystery of that generation. Then I look at a funeral card for one of the women (g-g-g-grandmother I had presumed) and it seems that there might be an transcription error in the marriage certificate, an error on the funeral card, or possibly a second marriage to a woman with the same first name! A new mystery to solve.

Interestingly, in the same package I found the will of my great-grandfather's brother who returned to Germany. I think everyone in the family assumed it was just a family letter. I'm the only one who can read and speak any German and realized what it was and couldn't wait to tell my parents. I scanned that document immediately, needless to say.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 7:53PM GMT
I just thought of this -- FINDAGRAVE.COM.

You can post images there and it's all free!

Plus, you'll have very high exposure since it's so popular.

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 3:59PM GMT
Always happy to see someone who wants to preserve and share funeral cards. I maintain the funeral card collection for the St. Clair County (IL) Genealogical Society and would love to have you contribute images for any cards for folks connected to the county! Would love for you to send those to me at ldplegge@gmail.com

I'd suggest genealogical societies in relevant counties as a place to inquire and share cards.

Find A Grave is a great option assuming you know where people are buried since the images are tied to cemeteries. Not sure how it works otherwise, but happy to learn if I'm missing something there!

Thanks again for preserving and sharing these treasures.

Lisa Doussard Pleggge

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 4:51PM GMT
Thanks again for the suggestions.

I'm in Canada and can certainly approach the genealogical society in Saskatchewan where most of these people lived. I know there is a Saskatchewan website that links to online genealogical resources and it links to a site that lists cards as well. That is where I got the idea.

A few people whose cards are in the collection were born in or lived for a period of time in the US. Most of my ancestors spent a short period of time in the US before making their way up to Canada. And some of the cards are from family that stayed behind in Germany.

I'll do some more digging and see how I can pair up people who lived in the US with counties and see if I can share some of them that way too.

Great idea!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions