Search for content in message boards

George Kendel

George Kendel

Terry (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2005 7:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kendel
Looking for Information on George Kendel who was born in 1872 in Austria .. First settled in North Dakota ( aprox 1900 ) moved to Morden Mb area in or around 1903 .. Married Julia Autinberg ( not sure of spelling of last name ) .. Three sons born being Bert / Fred / and Edward .. Julia passed away right after the birth of Edward .. ( aprox 1909 ) .. George then married Pauline Gibbons .. who was suppose to be from Warren Minn .. four more sons were born .. being Phillip , Adolf , William , and Henry .. The family then moved to a homestead at Ashern Mb ( aprox 1916 ) ..In 1928 they again moved back to Domain Mb .. In 1938 Pauline passed away there .. and is buried there as well .. George and the boys then moved to Marquette Mb .. George passed away in 1957 .. and the boys now have all passed on .. So theres nobody left to ask questions ..

I was informed that when George came to this country .. he came with two brothers and one sister .. One brothers name was Jacob .. the others I don't have .. They sister didn't hang around Manitoba for very long .. as she moved to Toronto Ontario .. Over the years this family went every direction

I am the grandson of George and Pauline Kendel .. but have very little Information about them .. Our spelling of the last name was changed to Kendall .. by a school teacher .. who didn't know the proper spelling when the boys started school .. and it's been that way ever since .. My father was Phillip who passed away in 1993 .. I was informed years ago by my father that he was raised by the old German rule .. where kids were seen , and never asked questions .. This is why there isn't much information about this family today .. ( a very stupid rule I would have to say ) ..

I do know my father had cousins in North Dakota .. as we visited with them .. they too have all passed on .. Any information would be very helpful .. as I have started a family history about this family .. My uncles I knew quite well .. But the rest I haven't a clue .. Thank You ... Terry Kendall

Re: George Kendel

Bette (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2005 7:08AM GMT
Surnames: Kendel
This looks like Jacob Kendel's marriage in Morden.
GROOM'S LAST NAME: KENDEL
GROOM'S GIVEN NAMES: JACOB
BRIDE'S LAST NAME: ZORN
BRIDE'S GIVEN NAMES: ELISABETH
DATE OF MARRIAGE: 09/07/1917
PLACE OF MARRIAGE: MORDEN
REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1917,051251

But then this looks like George's but I suppose it's just a coincidence that the last names are similar.
GROOM'S LAST NAME: KENDALL
GROOM'S GIVEN NAMES: GEORGE BRAMLEY
BRIDE'S LAST NAME: GODKIN
BRIDE'S GIVEN NAMES: JESSIE
DATE OF MARRIAGE: 06/19/1918
PLACE OF MARRIAGE: MORDEN
REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1918,034016

You might check this out also.
LAST NAME: KENDALL
GIVEN NAMES: JACOB
DATE OF DEATH: 11/04/1916
UNITS OF AGE: YEARS
SEX: M
PLACE OF DEATH: MORDEN
REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1916,066016
REGISTRATION DATE: 11/06/1916

Is this possibly your family in 1901?
7 22 55 Kendel Jacob M Head M Sep 29 1862 38, b. Germany r, emig. 1893, Luthern, farmer
7 23 55 Kendel Maria F Wife M Sep 18 1867 33, b. Germany r, emig. 1893
7 24 55 Kendel Jacob M Son S Aug 20 1888 12, b. Germany r, emig. 1893
7 25 55 Kendel Randolph M Son S May 20 1890 10, b. Germany r, emig. 1893
7 26 55 Kendel Mena F Daughter S Oct 18 1893 7, b. MB r
7 27 55 Kendel Magie F Daughter S Oct 7 1895 5, b. MB r
7 28 55 Kendel Eva F Daughter S Nov 15 1898 2, b. MB r
7 29 55 Kendel Eda F Daughter S Mar 16 1901, b. MB r
7 30 55 Kendel George M Servant S Aug 10 1879 21, b. Germay r, emig 1898
1901 Census of Canada
Subdistrict: Stanley, LISGAR, MANITOBA
District Number: 7
Subdistrict Number: h-2
Archives Microfilm: T-6432

The emigratio date is probably the date they entered Canada, not the date they left Austria/Germany.

I bring this up because Eva Kendel'sbirth reg'n is for Morden. In other words, I expect that if this isn't your family, they are related somehow.
LAST NAME: KENDEL
FIRST NAME: EVA
DATE OF BIRTH: 10/01/1898
PLACE OF BIRTH: MORDEN
SEX: F
REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1898,20516374
REGISTRATION DATE: 03/27/1958
Mother is Maria Busch.
Other Morden births for Kendel can be found at
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/cca/vital/Query.php

A search at ourroots http://www.ourroots.ca/e/search.asp
might also turn up more Kendel info.

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2005 6:31PM GMT
Hello Terry,
Do you know that the book "Footsteps Through The Years" which covers the area of Marquette has a family history write up on the George Kendall family, Phillip Kendall family, Adolph Kendall family and the Henry Kendall family.

You could get a copy from a Winnipeg library if you don't already have this information.

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 5:18AM GMT
Hello Terry,

I believe I may be related to you. My great-great grandfather was Jacob Kendall. He was born in Austria around 1862. He and his wife immigrated to Canada in 1893 and settled in Morden. Their arrival records at Ellis island have their name spelt Kendel. Are you sure the brothers all came together? They may have met up later. It seems like a strange coincidence that your Kendel/Kendall family was in Morden too unless there was some connection.

There are records of other Kendel's arriving from Landesteu including:
Wilhelm (age 13) and Amalie (20) in 1909,
Karoline(17) in 1911 from same area but not Landestreu,
Friedrich (18) in 1899.

There are probably others. Not all list an origin. My Jacob didn't anyways. There is a Geo. M. Kendel who arrived in 1892 though nothing is mentioned about where he was from. I don't have much information on the Kendel's unfortunately. Have you tried ordering your grandfather's death certificate? Jacob died in 1916 in his fifties and his parents are given as Charles Kendall and Minnie Houser. I have more information on his wife's family. I haven't been able to trace Jacob's beyond this. The LDS church has the church records from Landestreu but I haven't gone through the trouble of ordering it yet. Just so you know, Landestreu was part of Galicia which was part of Austria until WWI when it was ceded to Poland but became part of Ukraine after WWII. The family was ethnically German though. Anyways, not sure you will get this since you posted it in 2005 but hopefully you will. I have a poor photocopy of a picture of Jacob taken around 1912. Maybe we could compare it to any photos of George that you might have,

Tyler

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 6:12AM GMT
By the way. That birth registration for Eva Kendel born 1898 is for my great-grandmother. Jacob and Maria are her parents.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions