Search for content in message boards

Battleford Asylum?

Battleford Asylum?

Posted: 7 Aug 2003 3:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Dec 2004 7:07AM GMT
Hello,

I would be interested in finding information regarding an asylum which existed in North Battleford around the 1850s. I assume it was an institution which cared for the mentally ill.

Thank you.

Jenny B.

Re: Battleford Asylum?

Debbie Spencer (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2003 12:04AM GMT
There is a asylum in North Battleford..it was built in1911 and still is there today..the hospital name is the Saskatchwen Hospital..it also has three large cemetries on the grounds..if you need information contact the client services at the hospital they are very helpful..we found a family member that was in the hospital from 1920-1953..we went to the hospital and it is a very interesting place.
Good Luck.

Margot L. (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2003 5:55AM GMT
Surnames: Pillar and Beeton
Saskatchewan Hospital North Battleford
Box 39
North Battleford, SK
S9A 2X8
Phone (306) 446-6800
Fax (306) 446-6810

Attn. Client Information Services
R. Chadwick

I discovered my maternal grandmother was taken there after her husband died. My grandmother was there for a very long time and died at North Battleford.

Margot L.

Posted: 29 Oct 2003 6:05PM GMT
Thanks Margot. I have written to the hospital and am now waiting for a a reply.

Jenny

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 4:22AM GMT
Surnames: bingham, beeton and pillar
I have also written to North Battleford for records about my grandmother (Nellie Bingham Beeton Pillar). All I know is that she was taken there after her husband, Frederick William Pillar died (1936 or 37 when my mother was only 19 yrs. old) suddenly in Winnepeg (while visiting his girlfriend). Nellie Pillar attempted suicide and was then taken to North Battleford where she stayed until she died in 1953.

I am interested in her diagnosis, care, visitors, etc. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Margot L.

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 1:46AM GMT
Surnames: Pillar/Beale/Ogryzlo/Kipling
Where were your Pillar's from? I'd love to compare notes, if they were from Melfort area or anywhere else in Sask or Alberta.

Mick

Posted: 13 Aug 2004 6:03PM GMT
I am from Battleford, and know the Saskatchewan hospital, in the early days it was a very vicious and cruel place with electric shock therapy and little rooms in the basement where some of the patients were put when they could not be treated, but now, it is a very nice place where they treat the mentally disabled. I have a sister that works there and the staff says there are still alot of weird things that go on there, like screaming in the basement when the basement is now closed off to all people. But anyway, if you have any questions, I would be glad to help if I can.

Posted: 13 Aug 2004 6:31PM GMT
Hi Fran,

Thanks very much for your response to my query.
It must have been terrible to be an inmate there in the early days, especially if you were an "incurable".
I wonder if any books have been published about the facility or any documentaries done?
My great grandfather was there at some point (in 1950). He is buried at the North Battleford City Cemetery (site 3-6-1) but I highly doubt there would be any grave marker.

Jenny B.

Jenny

fran (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2004 6:36PM GMT
I wouldn't know if there would be a marker, hundreds of people are buried out there in about 3 cemetaries, and one is slowly being washed into the river, if you look close, you can see some boxes coming out of the banks. Pretty disturbing!!

Posted: 14 Aug 2004 1:58PM GMT
Surnames: Pillar, Piller
Thanks- I've found my PillEr's.

Good luck in finding yours :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions