Search for content in message boards

HUGHES Family of VA

HUGHES Family of VA

Posted: 1 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 May 2002 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: STROTHER, HUGHES, STUART
I am looking for the parents of Robert Hughes of King George Co., VA. Robert was born arounrd 1775. He married Elizabeth Strother, dau. of Joseph and Nancy (Stewart/Stuart) Strother, on 3 Dec 1794 in Culpeper Co., VA. Elizabeth (Strother) Hughes was born in 1777 in Culpeper Co., VA. The "Strother Society" has Robert and his wife, Elizabeth, listed as "2nd cousins" but they do not know the connection. I would appreciate any info on Robert and Elizabeth (Strother) Hughes.

Mary Wade Strother md William Menefee

Posted: 30 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2002 11:31PM GMT
Surnames: STROTHER, GATEWOOD, DENNIS, Wade, Menefee, Hughes, Walden, Rapp, Curtis
Mary Wade Strother b. @ 1753 md. William Menefee @1770 and had a daughter Sarah Strother Menefee b. 1795. She md. William Hughes and had a son Thomas Hughes Sr. who had a son Thomas Hughes Jr.b. Woodville,Culpeper Co. VA who married Frances Gatewood Walden, had a dau. Lucy M. Hughes who md. John Curtis Rapp. VA, who had Lucy Mildred Curtis who md. Richard Henry Dennis. This looks as if it is the daughter of your family in question. Would like to have more information, droades@ipa.net,Ingrid
Posted: 30 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2001 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: Strother, Duncan, Wade
John STROTHER was born in 1721 in Hanover Co. VA and died April 1795 in Culpeper VA. He married Mary Willis WADE in 1741. She was born in 1723 and died in 1802. I would like to know in what county did John STROTHER and Mary WADE marry and locations of her birth and death. One of their children was Nancy/Ann Strother that married her first cousin John STROTHER. I know she died before September 24, 1787-per will. I would like to know her birth and marriage date. All I know about her husband John is that he died prior to her. John and Nancy/Ann STROTHER had a child nameed George who was born Feb. 14, 1776 in Culpeper VA. and died July 30, 1864 in Trimble Co. KY George STROTHER married Mary DUNCAN feb. 18, 1796 in Culpeper VA. Mary DUNCAN was born February 27, 1776 in Culpeper VA and died July 15, 1851. I would like to know if she died also in KY.
Any information I have I will share. This line goes on into KY and I am very interested.

STROTHER/DUNCAN FAMILY

Posted: 31 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2001 2:54AM GMT
Surnames: Corbin, Duncan, Gaunt, Maddox, Strother
My husband's GAUNT/CORBIN line of Culpeper Co., VA is distantly connected to GEORGE STROTHER & MARY DUNCAN.

I show them having a son, FRENCH (born April, 1811, Trimble Co., KY -- died October, 1870, Trimble Co., KY). He married LUCINDA OSWALD MADDOX (born April, 1823, Trimble Co., KY -- died March, 1883, Trimble Co., KY). They had at least one son, JOHN C. STROTHER.

Source:
JOHN C. STROTHER
History of Kentucky

Hope this helps,
Linda Cashen Gaunt

Re: Mary Wade Strother md William Menefee

Posted: 30 Sep 2001 1:03AM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2003 4:27AM GMT
Surnames: Tutt, Menefee, Taliaferro,
I am looking for a information the family of Mary Wade Strother and and William Menefee -- I am particularly interested in the Menefees that came to Missouri. I am seeking slaves in the family...

For example: I am interested in slaves the family of Dr. Gabriel Tutt who married Mildred Johnson Menefee (daughter of Col. William Menefee and Mary Wade Strother.) Mildred was born on May 24, 1794 and died on Jan. 21, 1816

This is William's father:
John Menefee, 6th gener., 1739-40-1832, m--Mildred Johnston, d--1792; issue. Col. William Menefee, 5th gener., 1762-1841, Rappahannock Co., Va. m--Mary Wade Strother. (Note) Neill's Virginia Carolorum states George Menefie arrived in Va. 1623 on the "Samuel", settled Jamestown. Councillor, 1635. 1638 entered 3,000 acres of land on account of 60 transports of whom 23, as he asserts, "negroes I bought out of Eng."

William and Mary's children include: William John Tutt and Philip Augustine Tutt.

Gabriel's 2nd marriage was to Jane Chunn Gardner --
I believe some of the Menefees may have come to Missouri in the early 1800s??

Thanks

traci wilson-kleekamp

Richard Faber (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2001 4:31PM GMT
Traci: I do not have any information on Mary Wade STROTHER's marriage or children. I only have Mary's ancestry.

Posted: 24 Jan 2002 5:55PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2005 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: Menefee, Strother, Hopkins, Chew, Dennis
Richard, will you please send me Mary Wade Strother's ancestory? She is in my direct line. Thank you.

Posted: 24 Jan 2002 5:57PM GMT
Surnames: Strother, Menefee, Dennis, Hopkins, Chew
Richard, my email address is droades@swbell.net. Thank you.

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 1:16PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2003 2:46AM GMT
Surnames: Wade/Witt
Ingrid, this is along shot. Do you have a Daniel Wade b 1778 Va. in your line? He was my 5 gt-grandfather.
Thank you ~Sue

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: Strother,Wade, Dennis, Curtis,Gatewood, Walden,Burke,Wilson
I am sorry, I have made no headway on this family line and Mary Willis Wade is the only Wade in my chart at this time. I sure would like to figure this out! Thought I had it at one time but had it wrong. Thank you for replying.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic