CONN, Bert

CONN, Bert G.

Posted: 23 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 30 Jan 2002 1:15AM GMT
Surnames: Conn, Slack, Fleek, Streeter, Kerr, Fields
Kalispell, MT - June 13, 1939

BERT G. CONN

Funeral services for Bert G. Conn were held Tuesday morning at 11 o'clock at the Waggener & Campbell chapel by Rev. C. P. Daane. During the service James Lavin sang two solo selections, accompanied at the piano by Mrs. W. E. Beaman. Beautiful flowers were banked in abundance about the casket and many friends attended the service. Friends acting as pallbearers were Tom Lavin, Jack McCarthy, C. A. Robertson, H. W. Hutchings, Al Wright and W. H. Boberg. Following the service the body was taken to Mt. Vernon, Wash., for interment.

OBITUARY

Bert G. Conn was born May 18, 1885 in Skagit County, Wash. He grew to manhood and received his education there and became captain of a boat plying between Puget Sound points and Alaska. He was deputy sheriff of Skagit county for seven years and later was construction foreman with the Washington State Highway commission.

In November, 1924, he was married to Mary Ann Slack-Fleek and they came to Belton seven years ago to make their home, where Mr. Conn was employed by the Belton Mercantile company. He passed away suddenly Saturday, June 10, 1939, at the age of 54 years.

Mr. Conn is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary Ann Conn, and son Richard George Conn, aged 10, of Belton; his mother, Mrs. Ida Conn of Edison, Wash.; eight brothers, George, Frank, Raymond, Ralph, William, Charles, Fred and Clifford, and three sisters Mrs. Maude Streeter, Mrs. N. L. Kerr and Mrs. Harold Fields, all of Skagit county, Wash.

CONN, Bert

Posted: 23 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 30 Jan 2002 1:15AM GMT
Surnames: Conn, Fleek, Gustafson, Streeter, Kerr, Fields
Mt. Vernon, WA - June 10, 1939

BERT CONN, 54, DIES SUDDENLY IN MONTANA

Bert Conn, 54, well known former Skagit county man, died suddenly this afternoon at his home in Belton, Montana. News of his death was telephoned to Rod Fleek, this city, who was a stepson.

Policeman C. R. (Tip) Conn, of this city, a brother left immediately for Edison to take the sad news to the aged mother, who has been in frail health recently.

Bert had scores of friends in all parts of the county. He was born at Edison and served several years as deputy sheriff while "Tip" was sheriff of Skagit county. He lived in Mount Vernon several years.

Conn apparently died of a heart ailment. He had not been feeling well for about three weeks, but was about his work as usual. Today noon he came home for lunch and laid down to rest. Death followed immediately.

It was believed the body would be brought back to Skagit county for burial.

Conn was in the tile business at Belton. He first went there to operate the Belton tourist camp. His wife has operated the camp since he entered the tile business.

Survivors include the widow, one child, Richard 10; two stepchildren Rod Fleek and Mrs. Willard Gustafson, both of this city; the aged mother at Edison; eight brothers, "Tip", George, Frank, Raymond, Charles, William, Ralph and Fred, and three sisters, Mrs. Henry Streeter of Burlington; Mrs. N. L. Kerr of Edison and Mrs. Bess Fields of Clear Lake.

Re: CONN, Bert G.

Posted: 29 Jan 2003 4:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Janna,
I have a connection to Bert Conn. My grandfather Buel Streeter was a brother to Maud Conn Streeter's husband Henry. Buel's daughter Violet (my mother's sister, my aunt) married Rod Fleek. In your article about Mary Ann Slack Fleek Conn, there is mention of Barbara Alford, Virginia Fleek and Rodger Fleek. These were Violet and Rodney's children. (my first cousins). How are you related?

Posted: 18 Jun 2003 1:37AM GMT
I surfed into your post looking for Robertson in the Skagit board (and I was surprised that our first names are so similar!). My father-in-law's father's name was Charles Arthur Robertson (1884-1977) who lived in Conrad and Valier Montana. He moved to Mt. Vernon, WA abt. 1930 so I don't know if he is the C A Robertson that was Bert's pallbearer. But I had to write because of the name coincidences!

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 5:43AM GMT
Hi; Barbara and Rodger are also my cousins on their father's side. My mother was Katherine Fleek Gustafson. I would like to get in touch with Rodger. I believe he is living in Rapid City, South Dakota. Do you happen to have his Email, address or phone number? The last time I saw him was 13 years ago, when we scattered Dick Conn's ashes in Glacier Park, as he had requested. Thank you, Ann Gustafson Schwirian

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 9:44PM GMT
Hi Ann,
The address I have is 1700 10th St. SW, Great Falls, Montana, 59404. I don't know if that is still accurate.
Do you every correspond with Koby? She may have more recent info.
Where do you live? I am in Palm Springs, CA.
I tried to contact him a few years ago but he had been in a very bad accident. Do you know where his son Steven is?
Karen

Posted: 2 Aug 2012 2:15AM GMT
Surnames: Fleek, Conn
Thank you so much for your response. I believe Rodger is in North Dakota. I wanted to ask him to do a DNA test for Fleek. He and his son are the only ones left. Last I heard, Steven was in Colorado. He had adopted his step-father's last name--something Italian. I last saw Koby at my mother's memorial service in Mount Vernon in 2006. We exchanged Email addresses. I have it somewhere--but where oh where. I do think she would have Rodger's address. I live in Pacifica, Calif. I will keep looking for Koby's address. Thanks, Ann

Posted: 13 Aug 2013 11:28PM GMT
My great grandfather Raymond Conn was Berts brother. We called him Pop and he lived with us when I was a child
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions