Search for content in message boards

Alfred of Alloway: Fleming, Beattie, Cockburn, Tod, Walker, Gregor, Linn passengers

Alfred of Alloway: Fleming, Beattie, Cockburn, Tod, Walker, Gregor, Linn passengers

Posted: 9 Oct 2005 5:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 May 2013 2:32AM GMT
Surnames: Fleming, Beattie, Cockburn, Tod, Walker, Gregor, Linn
This ship brought 8 family names from the Edinburgh area of SCT that are connected to my tree to Canada in 1834, can anyone help me find a passenger list or any record of this ship?

Re: Alfred of Alloway

Posted: 23 Oct 2005 4:16AM GMT
Here is a family that sailed the ship. Maybe you can connect to one of their names if you don't already have this info.
Mary

In 1834, Alexander Fleming, a young boy of eight years, known familiarly as Sandy, emigrated with his widowed mother, Lillias (nee Gregor), his two younger brothers, John and James, and his Gregor grandparents, Peter and Margaret, with their family of seven. In one record, Sandy also mentions his half sister who also came. (Perhaps his father was a widower with one child, when Lillias married him.) They sailed on the “Alfred of Alloway”, which carried eight Scottish families on board. The voyage took nine weeks and three days. They were short of water, and the food was mostly fat pork and black bread, with one bowl of oatmeal porridge in the morning.

The Flemings and the Gregors were Scottish High­landers.

Posted: 6 May 2008 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: Fleming Gregor Gillies Eddie Flockhart
Mary:

I am a great-great-grandson of Alexander's younger brother James. Would you have more details on the Alfred of Alloway, such as sailing dates, passenger manifest, etc?

I am trying to find Alexander's and James' paternal grand-parents, but have had no luck so far.

Charles

Posted: 29 May 2012 2:07AM GMT
I am the 3rd Great-grandson of James Gregor. I am from Michigan but am currently doing research in Wellington County, Ontario. I today found a transcribed edition of Benjamin Gregor's obituary. In the notes, it talks of a book or story of "A Genealogy of Badenoch Families" by Llewella MacIntyre and Marjorie Clark.

"In 1834 James Gregor and Grizel Drummond and their seven children came to Canada on the 'Alfred of Allloway' with the Beattie, Cockburn, Todd, Walker, McFarlane and Andison families, who settled in Corwhin, Puslinch. Accompanying the (sic) were James Gregor's daughter from his first marriage, Lilias and her three sons by her first marriage to John Fleming: Alexander, James and John Fleming and her second husband, James Linn. Lilias died in 1835 and James and Grizel raised her infant daughter, Lilias Linn and her three Fleming boys. In the summer of 1835, James worked on the grounds of Dundurn Castle in Hamilton and later Victoria Park in Niagara Falls. Following this, they settled on lot 33, rear concession 8, Puslinch (Badenoch area).

Children of James and Grizel Gregor were: James (b. July 6, 1820); Grace (Aug. 6, 1822-Dec. 1916) married Francis Hawkins; Benjamin (b. May 1824); Peter (Aug. 6, 1828-Apr. 28, 1908). His son, Benjamin married Elizabeth Taylor and had 5 children."

Benjamin was my Great-great Grandfather.

Posted: 29 May 2012 3:19AM GMT
I am the 2nd great grand nephew of wife of grandson of James Gregor and the 1st great grand nephew of wife of grandson of John Fleming..that's a mouthful, isn't it?:-) 7 years since my post, wow! Anyway, info from that book and a history of Puslinch is where some of my info came from, and a book written by Jessie Beattie also, but it seemed to be a road block trying to get back much further. James' father may have been John, but I can't remember if I confirmed that or not, it's been a while since I looked at that. I have most of the descendants from James and Grizel and his first wife Lilias Eddy. Got a couple generations back on John Fleming and ran into a road block there as well

Posted: 29 May 2012 3:22AM GMT
I have a contact over in Scotland, I'll have to get hold of him when I get back with my new info and have him look.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions