Search for content in message boards

Black Loyalist of Canada

Black Loyalist of Canada

Posted: 28 Mar 2006 1:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clark, Peters, Kendall ( Kendle ), Wheary ( Weary ), McIntyre,
I wish to correspond with anyone researching Black ( surnames) in New Brunswick and Nova scotia.

Re: Black Loyalist of Canada

Stephen Davidson (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2006 7:18PM GMT
Hi Pamela,
I've had an ongoing interest in Black Loyalists and Black Maritime history since my days at Acadia University. (I did a thesis on leaders of the black Baptist Church in its 1st fifty years of existence in Nova Scotia.) I have recently been doing a lot of research around those Black Loyalists who sailed for Sierra Leone. No doubt you have already read over the Book of Negroes (which lists all blacks leaving the USA in 1783) at the Black Loyalist Heritage Society of Nova Scotia's website. Robin Winks' two books on aspects of Black Canadian history are also excellent. Contact me if you think I might be of help.

Posted: 29 Oct 2007 1:19AM GMT
Hi Stephen,

Are you still doing research on Black Loyalist of Canada. I am still looking for imformation on John PETERS who Married Maryann Kendle who I belive to have been related to loyalist George KENDLE. I am also looking for the parents of John PETERS. John and Maryann Married on Dec. 25,1816.
Any info you may have gathered would be appreciated

Posted: 29 Oct 2007 2:56PM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Kendle
Hi Pamela,

Yes, I am still involved in research into Black Loyalists in the Maritimes. I am thrilled to be part of a team of scholars working on a website under the auspices of the University of New Brunswick. Within a year school children (and other interested parties) will be able to visit a website that provides the "lost" stories of Black Loyalists and female loyalists who came to New Brunswick. There will also be stories about enslaved Africans who came with loyalists. My role includes providing student-friendly activities as well as writing the biography of a loyalist woman who had as her family's servant the first Black Loyalist to come to New Brunswick. I have a "foot" in both camps.

I will certainly keep an eye out for references to anyone named THOMAS or KENDLE. Have you browsed through the online version of The Book of Negroes that can be found at the website of the Black Loyalist Heritage Society of Nova Scotia?

Keep in touch.

Stephen Davidson

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 1:09AM GMT
Surnames: Thomas, Kendle
Here is what a recent search turned up by way of references to the surnames of THOMAS and KENDLE. Perhaps you have all of these already.

Stephen

Thomas surname references---

Black Loyalists: Thomas Family

We do hereby Certify that the within mentioned Michael THOMAS is a free Negro together with his Wife and Children, as we have made proper and different Enquiries into the same and likewise have Enquired into the Character of said Negro Michael THOMAS who upon Enquiry finds him him [sic] to be a friend and Loyalist since the arrival of Col. CAMPBELL into Georgia and has been since in His Majesty's Employ. Given under our hands at Savannah this 24th July 1780--

Augustine PREVOST Gl.
Allured CLERK [sic] Lt. Coll.

Public Archives of Nova Scotia, RG 1, Volume 170, page 338.

From The Book of Negroes (compiled in the spring, summer and fall of 1783)

Clinton bound for Annapolis & St. John's, Lt. Trounce
Samuel Thomas, 24, stout fellow. Formerly the property of Lewis Cakrean of Montreal, Canada; left him 6 years ago.

Michael Thomas, 18, stout fellow. Formerly the property of Charles Thomas, James river, Virginia; left him 3 years ago.

Amos Thomas, 55, ordinary fellow. Says he was born free.

Juno Thomas, 40, worn out. Formerly the property of Daniel Johnson of Savannah, Georgia; left him 6 years ago.

John Thomas, 40, stout fellow. Formerly the property of Henry Long, Cape Fear, North Carolina; left him 6 years ago.

John Thomas, 58, stout man. Says he was left free at the death of William McAdam of New York.

Mars bound for St. John's

Ned Thomas, 21, likely fellow, (Cornet Hovendon). Certified to be free by General Musgrave's Certificate.

Ship Hope bound for Annapolis, Mat O'Brien

Cudjoe Thomas, 40, ordinary fellow, (Daniel Hammond). Formerly slave to William Thomas, South Carolina; left him in 1779 at the Siege of Savannah. General Birch's Certificate.

Kingston bound for Port Roseway, John Atkinson

John Thomas, 15, stout lad, (Patrick Wall). Property of Patrick Wall.

On Board The Ship Danger, James Duncan, Master

Thomas Thomas, aged 36 years, stout fellow, Royal Artillery Department. Formerly slave to Charles Thomas, Nancy Mund, Virginia; left him in 1776. General Birch's Certificate.

Ship Stafford bound for Port Roseway, Capt. Watson
John Thomas, 28, 1/2, stout fellow, (Courtney Taylor of Port Roseway, claimant.) (Courtney). Served with Phoenix Fisher, Duck Creek, Delaware, till 21 years of age when he says he got his freedom.

Tree Briton bound for Port Roseway, Jacob Hays, Master

Abraham Thomas, 20, stout lad, B, (Donald Ross). Formerly slave to Lemuel Willet, Fredricksburg, Dutchess County ; says he was born free in the town of West Chester. General Birch's Certificate.

Only reference to a Kendle ------

Joseph bound for Annapolis Royal , James Mitchell

George Kendle, 35, ordinary fellow, (Black Pioneers). Formerly slave to John Kendle, Eastern Shore, Virginia; left him in 1777.

(If this George is your ancestor, this short little entry will give you quite a few clues to pursue.)

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 4:01AM GMT
Hi, I realize your post is quite old but I am looking for information on early black settlers or loyalists in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick with the surnames Kelly, Dixon, Jewell, Thompson and Johnson. The Kelly's and Thompsons are from Yarmouth, The Dixons are from St. John New Brunswick and the Jewell and Johnson families are from Guysborough, NS.
Thanks,
Michelle K.

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 11:02PM GMT
The only name that I have in my tree is Byron Gladstone Johnson, married Margaret Lavinia Diamond (08 Aug 1926.

Posted: 21 May 2010 4:30PM GMT
My gr.gr.gr.gr. Grandfather was Joseph McIntyre who was born in 1794. He came to Elm Hill, NB in the 1800's. I was told he was given land from the Queen and King. He fought with the British. He is on the 1871 census with his wife Mary but that's it. My grandmother comes from his line. So if you have any info. that would be wonderful.

Look forward to hearing from you,
Cyndee

Posted: 21 May 2010 4:33PM GMT
I have a John Peters who was married to Abigail O'Ree? Could he have been married more then once? I know his parents names. Contact me maybe it's him

Posted: 21 May 2010 7:20PM GMT
Hi Cyndee,

I'll keep an eye out for the McIntyre name, however my files concern the loyalist era, and your Joseph would be in a later generation.

Forgive me if I review things you know all too well. Because your multiple-great grandfather was born in 1794, he would not be a loyalist (they arrived in New Brunswick in 1783), but he could be the child of a loyalist. The family story may have confused him with his loyalist father when it recounts that he got land from the queen and king. Someone born in 1794 would not have been able to fight with the British between 1775-1783 (the years of the American Revolution) or even during the War of 1812. African-Americans were given their freedom if they fled their masters in 1812 and served the British. Joseph would only have been 8 for that war.

Is Elm Hill along the St. John River or is along the Bay of Fundy coast? My family hails from Saint John and I graduated from Moncton High, but the name Elm Hill is new to me.

As I said, I will keep an eye out for the McIntyre name.

Stephen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic