Search for content in message boards

William Petty & Margaret Burke Relatives from Co. Mayo and Galway, Ireland

William Petty & Margaret Burke Relatives from Co. Mayo and Galway, Ireland

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Mar 2012 5:25PM GMT
Surnames: Petty, Burke
I am looking for anyone who may be researching the Petty surname from County Mayo, Ireland and the surrounding area. My Great Grandmother, Elizabeth (Eliza) Petty, was born in 1875 in Cong, Mayo to William Petty and Margaret (Burke) Petty. She immigrated to the United States in 1896, settled in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and became Elizabeth Coderre (Petty).

Her parents, William Petty (Ballinrobe, County Mayo) and Margaret Burke (County Galway) were married in Headford, County Galway, Ireland in 1858. William Petty's father was George Petty. Margaret Burke's father was James Burke.

My Great Grandmother, Elizabeth Petty, had siblings from Cong, Mayo born to William Petty and Margaret Burke. Here is the information I have thus far.
John Petty, born 1864
Ellen petty, born 1866
Margaret Petty, born 1870
Mary Petty, born 1873 (Nicknamed Mamie, married a Tenian)
Susan Petty, born 1877 (arrived in the US in 1900, married a man named John)
Kate, birth date unknown

I am hoping to connect with anyone who may have a connection with any of these names. Thank you.

Re: William Petty & Margaret Burke Relatives from Co. Mayo and Galway, Ireland

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 8:04AM GMT
Surnames: Petty, Sairs
Hi there
I have been researching my GR GR Grandfather Dominic Gaynard Petty. His father was George Petty and we believe they came from Co Mayo. He married Isabella Sairs in 1850, but the marriage certificate only shows that they were of full age. they emigrated to Australia with the 46th Regiment around 1854 and then came to NZ with the 4th Waikato Militia and he died in 1867. That is all the information that I have on him and I would love to be able to trace him back futher.

Posted: 1 May 2012 12:29AM GMT
Surnames: Petty
Hello,

Thanks for your message. My 3rd Great Grandfather's name was a George Petty as well. He is listed as living in Ballisnahyny, County Mayo on the marriage record of my 2nd Great Grandfather, William Petty.

By any chance, do you have the actual marriage certificate of Dominic Petty? If so, it should state their residence at the time of the marriage. It should also list the names of witnesses which sometimes can be siblings.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 4:20AM GMT
my grt grt grandfather was dominic gaynard petty and his father was george and mother eleanor gaynard also form mayo. finding out info slowly and will let you know as we come up with more. you can contact us at lettermore@xtra.co.nz

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 10:13PM GMT
Surnames: Petty Grady
I also looking for additional information on the Petty family from Galway.

My GGG grandmother Grace A Petty who was born about 1825 in Castleblakeney Galway.

She married Michael Mitchell Grady. I don't know if they married in Ireland or New York.

She had her first son, Robert George Grady, in New York in 1847. The family moved to Madison, Wisconsin about 1850 and settled in Sioux City, Iowa in about 1870.

Grace A Petty and Michael Mitchell Grady had the following children:

Robert George Grady Sr.(1847 - 1893)
Mary Grady Cary (1849 - 1919)
Eliza Jane Grady Stevers (1853 - 1877)
John M Grady (1854 - 1879)
Rose E. Grady Livingston (1857 - 1931)
William H Grady (1859 - 1885)
Agnes Grace Grady Hutchins (1862 - 1941)
James Henry Grady Sr. (1869 - 1914)
Michael Mitchell Grady Jr. (1869 - 1904)
Stephen D Grady (1880 - 1908)

Kind Regards,
Elizabeth

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 4:49PM GMT
I have been fjollowing my Susan Petty, father Jeremiah from Headford, Galway to Birmingham, and have found many Petty;/Pettit's in England, and the Rhode Island. In trying to tie my Jeremiah to family, I have traced William/Margaret to try to connect them all. I believe that Jeremiah in Central Falls Rhode Island is also a son of Wm & Margaret. Also found Susan married to John F. Gorman. Have a little more info if you are interested.

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 1:24AM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2012 1:25AM GMT
Hello,

I am a descendant of William Petty and Margaret Burke. Their daughter, Eliza Petty, was my great grandmother. Through my research I have the following children of William and Margaret listed:
John born Jan 13 1864
Ellen born 19 Mar 1866
Thomas born 12 Jul 1868
Margaret born 17 Dec 1870
Mary born 26 Feb 1873
Eliza born 20 May 1875
Susan born 12 Aug 1877

I also have the records for those births. Do you have the birth date for Jeremiah? I have come across Jeremiah Petty in the Pawtucket/ Central Falls, Rhode Island area but have been unable to figure out his link to the family if there is any.

Do you have any dates on Susan Petty and her father Jeremiah?

Thanks,
Holly

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 2:47AM GMT
Hi Holly, I have a little of your family info from Louise, however I think I can add more. I am the descendent of Susan Petty who married Walter Blake in Headford and moved to Birmingham England, and her father was Jeremiah Petty, farmer. Mother I think is Rebecca, no last name yet.
Most of this you can see on my public Petty tree, check it out.

As for your line.
Jeremiah A. Petty, born 18 Aug 1861 Kilmaine Parish, Co. Mayo {rootsireland.ie} found them 1900,1920,1925 in Cental Falls, RI. Died 02 May 1929, lists parents as Wm Pettit/Marg't Burke {familysearch.org) Catherine died 28 Sept 1930 Central Falls, RI.

To confirm this the Passenger List for Eliza lists brother Jerh Petty of Pawtucket RI as contact. Sept 12, 1896.

Your Susan born Aug 1877 is found in 1910, Providence married to John Francis Gorman, 1925 & 1940in Pawtucket. Susan died 18 Aug 1942 Pawtucket. Lists father as Wm Petty.
Their son John Joseph Gorman died 17 Apr 1950 and lists parents as John Francis Gorman & Susan Pettit.(familysearch.org.}

My clue to some of this is 3 articles from Genealogybank.com
Heading reads a Pretty Wedding at St. Joseph's PF Tennian of W. Newbury Mass united to Miss Mary E. Pettit, bride attended by sister Susie K.M. Pettit. Turkey breakfast served and the home of Mr & Mrs Frank A. Thurber. (1901)

Another article dated July 12, 1919 is a farewell reception for Jeremiah's son John W. Petty, born 13 July 1894 of Central Falls, in short it lists, P. Tenian, Coderre, and Mrs John Yorman (read Gorman) danced a reel.

In the Job/Joseph Pettit family daughter Sarah Jane married Alonza F. Thurber, have not checked to see if they are related. Have more articles from genealogy bank on them also.
Cheers Sharon

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 2:07PM GMT
Hi Sharon,

Wow! That you so much for ALL of that information!!! I'm glad you were able to make sense of the name "Jerh" on Eliza/ Lizzie's immigration record! I had been wondering for a while now what it read. I didn't know if there was an error in naming him as a brother. (One of my other relatives listed a sibling incorrectly as an uncle) Thank you!

I also forgot to note that there was a brother named George as well. He was born Sept 4, 1859. Makes me wonder now if there were more siblings.

I have listed Sarah Jane Petit as marrying Alonzo Thurber as well. Sarah Jane appears to be the daughter of Joseph/ Job Petit. Joseph/ Job Petit's father appears to be George Petty, husband of Eleanor Gaynard.

I have never used genealogybank before. I hadn't realized what a great site it is! It would be fascinating to see those articles.

My grandmother used to speak of the Tennian's. Eliza's sister Mary Petty married Patrick Tennian.

Also, Eliza would have been the "Coderre" listed in the other article. She married my great grandfather Napolean Coderre!!

The article headings are fascinating!
Thanks again!
Holly

Posted: 29 Oct 2012 5:56PM GMT
Glad the info worked for you Holly, if you will send your email address, I will scan the articles for you. You will find quite a bit of info of Jeremiah.

I beleive to be my Dominick who married Julia Malone in Brooklyn New York is the brother of my gggrandmother Susan Petty Blake.

Don't know if you knew that you can order registrations from familysearch.org. They will do the look up and charge you $2.00 a photocopy and no mailing charge. Just ordered 8 registration and the cost only $8.00. Cheap compared to most other sites.

Cheers
Sharon

per page

Find a board about a specific topic