Search for content in message boards

DAR Lookup for Ambrose Cameron

DAR Lookup for Ambrose Cameron

Jeff Jenkins (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2002 4:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Please check to see if Ambrose Cameron (b. about 1748 Scotland, d. 1814 Clarke Co. GA) served during the American Revolution. His children supposedly received pension in the form of land grants.

Re: DAR Lookup for Ambrose Cameron

gloria flathom (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2002 3:31PM GMT
Hi, I am the volunteer for July 6. According to the Patriot Index and the OnLine Look Up service provided by the DAR, I was unable to locate any service for Ambrose Cameron. However, I have found 8 other Camerons who offered service in the Revolution. Just because we can not locate this possible patriot, it does not mean he did not serve. It could mean he is a new ancestor which is very exciting. Should any female in this direct line seek membership in the DAR and provided the service proved is correct, he will be added as a new patriot. Should this female need assistance in finding a DAR Chapter close to her home please feel to contact me and I will try and assist you in your search, We all wish you success.
This is a free service provided by the NSDAR.
Gloria Flathom

Posted: 20 Jul 2002 4:19PM GMT
Gloria,
Thanks so much for your time. I do know from oral history that this Ambrose and wife died in the same year leaving orphans who benifitted from his pension from service. Do you know who or what entity I should contact to secure pension information?

Thanks again,
Jeff

Gloria Flathom (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2002 3:11PM GMT
Hi, this is the DAR volunteer trying to answer your questions. You may obtain the record copy of the pension for Ambrose Cameron from the National Archives. This would be listed under M804 of which there is over 2670 rolls. However, it is by alabetical order I believe.
I usually go to the Great Lakes Regional center in Chicago and depending on where you live there maybe one close by your resisdence.
I could not find the exact address here, but there is a Web site for the National Archives in Washington, DC. From there the information is available on how to order the copy of the pension and the cost.
If the children are mentioned obviously this would add to the documentation of this Ancestral Patriot.
If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.
This is a free service provided by the NSDAR volunteer look up service.
Gloria

Posted: 2 Aug 2002 3:48PM GMT
Thanks again Gloria. I'll go to the website and give it a shot.

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 8:24PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2013 8:28PM GMT
Surnames: CAMERON, BLACKBURN, SHIPLEY
Hello Jeff Jenkins,
I descend from Ambrose CAMERON, and wife, Mary Hannah BLACKBURN. Their daughter, Elizabeth (Cameron) SHIPLEY abt 1813-1864, (Mrs. Wm. Clayton Shipley) was my gg-grandmother. I have very little info on him and am not sure of his birth date, although I believe he was born Scotland. Would appreciate any info you have found on him.
Abigail Banks Dennison

BTW, I DO know my Elizabeth had several 20 ac. tracts in Floyd Co., Ga. that she willed to her children. I would bet these are the pension prop.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions