Search for content in message boards

Obit: Georgia E. Overby - 1923-1999

Obit: Georgia E. Overby - 1923-1999

Karen Monk (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: OVERBY, JOHNSON, THURBON
Georgia E. Overby

Georgia E. Overby, 75, of Huntington, passed away Sunday, Sept. 5, 1999, in a Huntington hospital.

Born Oct. 11, 1923, in Slab Fork, she was the daughter of the late George William and Cora Cobb Johnson Thurbon.

Mrs. Overby was a retired employee of the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of Huntington. She was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, having served during World War II. She was a 1941 graduate of Woodrow Wilson High School of Beckley and a 1951 graduate of Marshall University. She was a member of DAV Chapter 2 of Huntington, where she was a volunteer driver for veterans, American Legion Post No. 16 of Huntington, Howard P. Hall VFW Post No. 1064 of Huntington, Veterans for Civic Improvement, Marine Corps League and the Waves. She was also a member of the Tri-State Amateur Radio Association and a lifetime member of the Moose Lodge.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Jimmy Owen Overby; and two brothers, Woodrow Johnson and Franklin Thurbon.

Survivors include two sons, George William Overby and wife Debbie Brown of Atlanta, Ga., and Jimmy L. Overby of Huntington; a daughter, Ruth Ann Overby Lynch and husband Mike Lynch of Vienna; a grandson, Andy Lynch of Vienna; two brothers, William Thurbon and wife Louise of Florida and G.W. Thurbon and wife Shirley Mitchem of Crab Orchard; two sisters, Almeta Collins of Portsmouth, Va., and Nancy Pat and husband Don Carpenter of Statesville, N.C.

Services will be 11 a.m. Thursday at Reger Funeral Chapel, Huntington, with the Rev. Dr. James Sturm officiating. Burial will follow in Spring Hill Cemetery, Huntington.

Military graveside rites will be performed by VFW Post No. 1064.

Friends may call 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Reger Funeral Home, 1242 Adams Ave., Huntington.

Carl Aikin, Rush Williams, Ralph Honaker, Walter Felty, Jerry Johnson and special friend Jerry will serve as honorary pallbearers.

Arrangements by Reger Funeral Home, Huntington.

Register-Herald Online Obits - 7 Sept 1999

Re: Obit: Georgia E. Overby - 1923-1999

Jeannie Bergeron (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2003 7:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
George William Thurbon was the brother of my grandmother Margaret Evelyn Thurbon.

Do you by chance have any further information on George or his late wife,Cora (i.e. when and where they were married)? If so, would you be willing to share that information/

I have very little information on my late Great Uncle and his wife. Any information you would be willing to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic