Search for content in message boards

Sarah married ? Sutherland

Sarah married ? Sutherland

Posted: 15 Dec 2007 1:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SUTHERLAND AND BROWN
I'm looking for the maiden name of Sarah who married ? Sutherland about 1780 VA. Daughter Rebecca b abt 1782 in VA. m George Brown of NC. Sons John and Isaac born in TN 1794 and
1796. Rebecca d in 1863 Rush Co IN.
Would anyone know what Sarah's husbands name was or what her maiden name was?
Marilyn
SAlem OR

Re: Sarah married ? Sutherland

Posted: 15 Oct 2008 1:41AM GMT
Is her name Sarah Buchanan who married James Sutherland?

Posted: 15 Oct 2008 4:48AM GMT
Surnames: SUTHERLAND
That's the name that keeps coming up as a possibilty, but they don't have a daughter Rebecca b 1782 or sons Iassac or John. We believe Rebecca had brothers with those names. Also they are in Wayne and Rush Co. IN and I don't think that other family were.

Thanks
Marilyn

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 1:28AM GMT
Sarah Buchanan & James Sutherland

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 5:26AM GMT
No, that is not the right Sarah. Our Sarah's husband is possibly named Isaac Sutherland. That seems to be where it's leading now.
Thank You

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 10:54AM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland
My Isaac Sutherland, born 1822 in Scotland was married to Althea Warner. Anyone with connections to him

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 6:10PM GMT
Our Sutherland line is back as far as the early 1700's. This Isaac was b abt 1750 or so. There is a line I believe came from Scotland during the Rev or war of 1812 and stayed. Can't remember the name but perhaps your line came from them. Also check Southerland as sometimes miss spelled.

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland, Toland
I am descended from Isaac Sutherland and Sarah Toland who lived in VA in late 1700's. Their son, Thomas Sutherland who was born 1780, probably near Winchester, VA is my ancestor too, and the only sibling that i have any info on of maybe 4 (Isaac is listed in Virginia Tax list of 1782 with a household of 6 in Frederick County, VA.)

My only documentation that Isaac and Sarah in that location are mine, is from a 1915 obituary of their grandson, John Sutherland in Logan Co, OH - otherwise I would never have known of them. I have found no birth, marriage, or death info on either of them, nor any other children. I was born and raised in Logan County, OH so that's how I came to check the newspaper there.

I made a copy of the following deed while visiting that county for information years ago. In 1777 Isaac and his wife, Sarah Toland, were deeded 215 acres in Frederick Co, VA - inherited from his "only brother" Abraham, who had "never married". (Abraham was granted this property in 1755 from Thomas, Lord Fairfax.) There also was a Ruth Sutherland as a witness on the deed. Isaac and Sarah held this property until 1784 when they (or just he?) moved on to East Tennessee where he apparently died about 1801, tho I don't know exactly. I also found mention of Isaac earlier than 1777 - apparently as a chain carrier on a survey team in northern VA - this from a book about early settlers in northern neck of VA.

I hope this helps both of us eventually!
Diane Rice, Indianapolis, IN

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 5:07AM GMT
By Isaac I think we got it. We've been searching a long time. I'm including a note from another searcher I'm in touch with. PLease contact us through regular email for lots more info on descendants of Isaac and Sarah. We don't have much more than what you have on them but maybe we can fill in blanks for each other.
Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,
Well maybe we have the name of Rebecca and Sarah's father, it looks like it's Isaac Sutherland. This is what I have received from the Reference Staff of the C.M. McClung Historical Society in Knox County, Knoxville, Tennessee.

I found deed records in Frederick Co., Virginia noting " Isaac Sutherland and Sarah his wife of County of Frederick [to] George Hutt of County aforesaid" dated 24 July 1780.
There is another deed noting a lease between Issac and George Hutt which was witnessed by James Abernathy, Ruth Sutherland and Jos. Day also in July of 1780. The last deed I found through 1795 on Isaac was "[Release ] between Isaac Sutherland and Sarah his wife of Frederick County [to] Martin Triece of the same place....consideration of Fifty eight pounds...2031/2 Acres" in September of 1784

I have checked our Hawkins, Washington, Jefferson, Grainer and Tennessee records and specifically marriage records for George and Rebecca without success. I did note a 2 May 1786 deed from Samuel Weaver to Isaac Sutherland and another deed dated May 1790 from Isaac Sutherland to Abraham Smith in Washington County. The 1786 deed was witnessed by Jacob Brown and Daniel Burner.

I had read where some of Jacob's chioldren attened Cherokee Baptist Church in Washington County. There was a couple of mentions of George Brown and his wife ( one notes her name as Sarah ) I found on 3 September 1814 " After worship Sat to doe business dismist George Brown and Rebecky his wife a. j-n-d.

It looks real promising to me, because of Jacob Brown mention in some of the records, what do you think?

Vicki

Posted: 19 Nov 2008 6:17PM GMT
Surnames: SUTHERLAND and BROWN / BRAUN
Things seem to have gotten switched around. Guess I can't do what I tried.

So to begin with there are a few of us looking the last year or so for who Sarah was. She had a daughter Rebecca who married George Brown and we descend from them by various children. Sarah also had sons Isaac and John both of whom end up in Wayne Co. IN. Some move on to Rush as ours did and some to other counties. Mine end up in Lee Co. IA.

I'll let you decide just how much info you want for your records.

Have you any ideas on who Sarah and Isaac's parents were?

Thanks Marilyn
Salem, OR
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions