Search for content in message boards

Rashleigh, rashly, McCarthy, tanner, cussen,

Rashleigh, rashly, McCarthy, tanner, cussen,

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 3:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rashly, rashleigh,McCarthy, cussen,tanner,ellis
Anyone researching these families from co cork Ireland and Malone New York?

Re: Rashleigh, rashly, McCarthy, tanner, cussen,

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 3:39PM GMT
Not researching these personally.

The genealogy records for Cork are split into two, North EaST and South West.

www.rootsireland.ie (S.W.) not for profit but fee paying

www.irishgenealogy.ie (free)

The Griffith Valuation for Ireland is used as a census substitute and dated 1852 for Cork:
A Poor Law Union cover 12 mi. with all parish's, villages and towns*

No Rashleigh

Edward Rashly, Parish of Ross, Townland Carrigfadda, Poor
Law Union *Clonakilty, tenant of Richard Beamish

#11a house, outbuildings and land 24 acres 1 rood 21 perches

+ 3 unoccupied houses for which he would be the landlord
and 1 tenanted by Timothy Sullivan

McCarthy 3,175, there are 48 in the Parish of Ross

Tanner 25, Samuel Tanner, Parish of Ross

Cussen 16, Mary and Susan in Parish Ross

Ellis 37, none in Parish of Ross

other resources:

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie 1823-1837 Tithe's-Tax

www.census.nationalarchives.ie 1901/1911

www.familysearch.org for civil records from 1864-1950's

The phone book for Cork has 0 Rashly's and the closest
Rashleigh is in Mayo.
McCarthy 1,331 in Cork
Tanner 19, 1 in Clonakilty* (would write a letter)
Cussen 23

www.igp-web.com + Cork
www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+Cork

Good luck

Annette Code

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 4:34PM GMT
not sure who you are...but thanks for the quick reply and the links. I need to get together some other more specific info and try to ask you another question if possible... our family history has shown our name was Rashleigh or Roshleigh. Edward was married to Cathrine Tanner and after she died...married Mary Cussen/Cushen (m- 1841) and had farm in Carrigfadda in County Cork. This family farm was passed Through marriage) to the Kingston Family and is now owned by the Ellis family.

How can I know that Rashly and Rashleigh are the same family?? and How do I find more about the Kingston, Ellis ownewrship today or how they bought it..?? Thanks for any help at all.. Annette

I just feel like stopping until I can verify that the diff Rashleigh /Rashly name are the same Down the line, when some of my Rashleighs/Rashlys came to USA they changed name ro Rossley !!

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 4:34PM GMT
not sure who you are...but thanks for the quick reply and the links. I need to get together some other more specific info and try to ask you another question if possible... our family history has shown our name was Rashleigh or Roshleigh. Edward was married to Cathrine Tanner and after she died...married Mary Cussen/Cushen (m- 1841) and had farm in Carrigfadda in County Cork. This family farm was passed Through marriage) to the Kingston Family and is now owned by the Ellis family.

How can I know that Rashly and Rashleigh are the same family?? and How do I find more about the Kingston, Ellis ownewrship today or how they bought it..?? Thanks for any help at all.. Annette

I just feel like stopping until I can verify that the diff Rashleigh /Rashly name are the same Down the line, when some of my Rashleighs/Rashlys came to USA they changed name ro Rossley !!

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 11:39PM GMT
I'm just a person who tries to give people resources to find information. Gives me something to do and keeps the old grey cells working.

Names could be spelt so many different ways back then, mostly due to who ever was writing it. Very few people could read and write. I've seen up to 3 different spellings of the same family on a gravestone!

Try the Registry of Deeds-Ireland if I didn't give you that
already. Just google and look for rootsweb. There is also
a Deed Registry Office in Dublin (there might be one in Cork?)
eg: Henry Ellis, Surgeon Glamhre, Cork 18/2/1839

Kingston, a few for Cork. Once you get to the surnames, click on the box with the surname you want, then scroll down the information is hidden on your screen till then.

Few people actually owned there own land. You can look at
1876 owners of land on www.failteromhat.com

Carrickfadda was a townland, the smallest division of land and unique to Ireland.
The townland is in two parishes and two different Poor Law Unions.
PLU of Skibbereen, Parish Abbeystrowry and
PLU Clonakilty, Parish Ross

There is a website for Cork and Ross Diocese, I think with a map.

This area of Cork is to the south and West. There is a genealogy office there that can work through their baptism
and marriage records and find those family connections. I don't think there is any other way and they will charge you a commission for the research.

I found 1 Ellis in the Cork telephone book in Clonakilty out of 34 listings. I would write a letter to this person.
Address is sufficient for mail delivery.

There are 195 Kingston's 28 in the Clonakilty area.

county Cork - Mallow Heritage Centre

www.mallowheritagecentre.com

www.mallow.ie/viewpage

www.corkandross.org/html/history/genealogy.jsp

I'm amazed you found the surname with Rossley! Very good

Annette

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 1:26AM GMT
Surnames: Rossley Rashleigh Rashley, Cussen McCarthy
Hi Terriaco, I am a great-great grandson of Edward and Mary Cussen Rossley, and a great -grandson of Daniel and Mary Rossley McCarthy of Brandon, NY. Brandon is a town to the southwest of Malone NY. Daniel and Mary left Dunmanway Ireland on there wedding day in 1867 and settled in upstate NY where they bought a farm and raised 15 children. The youngest son, Flurence William, my grandfather was a country doctor who practiced in North Bangor for 43-years. My dad, Edgar, was his youngest son and was a dairy farmer in the tradition of most of his cousins. I was at Edward and Mary's farm (our homestead) in 2010 and talked briefly with the current Ellis's mother, but unfortunately never got the details of the transfer of the farm. I suspect though that the farm was transferred through marriage from the Rashley's to the Kingston's and finally to the Ellis family. As you can see Mary did not remain in Ireland, in fact, I think se was the first to leave and her brothers followed. I thought they all entered through Canada into northern NY, but now think two of the boys may have entered through Ellis Island. Only last weekend I attended a Rossley family reunion in Bovina Center NY attained by 100 plus descendants of Edward and Mary Rossley. There is another planned for 2015. Two other things, my Daniel was from Sillertane town lands of Dunmanway and met Mary when she worked as a maid in a big house nearby. Contact me at kmccart343@gmail.com if you would like more information. Oh yes, it was originally Rashleigh then Rashley's and finally Rossley. Evin

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 1:42AM GMT
I meant to say Rashley and not Rashley's. To clarify an earlier statemet I think my cousin Edward Rossley's, great-grandfather Thomas was the last owner of the farm. As the eldest son he inherited the farm from his father and mother, and sold it to the Kingston family. Through marriage it was transferred to te Ellis family.

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 11:59AM GMT
good morning..
I need to be brief at the moment... is there anyway of contacting the Ellis's or other people to e-mail or snail mail..??? Can give me addresses or something else?? Did Edward die in 1859?? I have a possible probate record for a Thomas John in same year Edward died...but that would put Thomas John at only about 13 yrs old...

Posted: 17 Aug 2013 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: Ellis, Rossley
There is a Robert Ellis in Curraghalickey, Drinagh with the following phone number (028)30148. I believe he might be the current owner. There is also a Richard Ellis (028)30150 living in the same location. This might be Robert's son, as the day I was there three years ago both the father and son were working building a new barn. Very nice people. Robert's mother, if she is still alive, might also have more information on the Rossley homestead. Good luck!

Posted: 7 Oct 2013 2:28AM GMT
Surnames: Rossley, McCarthy, Ellis
Terriaco, if you get this message, please contact me. Soon after I sent my last message I received an email from another great granddaughter of Edward and Mary Rossley who lives in California. She put me in contact of two of her cousins in Ireland who are great grand daughters of James and Elizabeth Rossley McCarthy of Carrigfadda. Elizabeth was the sister of our great grandmother Mary. Long story short, our cousins claim that the Rossley farm is still owned by the family and occupied by John and James McCarthy, the brothers of one of the cousins who contacted me. I've also been talking with another distant cousin who works as a volunteer researcher at the Skibbereen Heritage Center. She is the person who saw my post to you and notified the family. If the farm where John and James are located is actually the original Rossley farm, I sent you on a "wild goose" chase to the wrong place. My apologies, but with commonalities of the Irish names my mistake was an honest one. I believe the farm I was taken to was a Rossley farm, but just not ours. I am basing that on the fact Mr. Ellis's mother told me he had a grandmother named Mary Rossley and he, himself directed us to the farm Dan McCarthy took me too. I thought at the time it was a little unusual the Ellis's got the farm, but never questioned it further. Bottom line there was more then one Mary Rossley. I do believe now that we are the right track to find our Irish relatives and add to our family tree from Edward and Mary Cussen Rossley. If you want get in touch with me and I'll add you to the email thread I've got with our three cousins and introduce you more of our Rossley cousins here in NYS. I might have told you already, but there was a Rossley family reunion in July at the home of Edward a Rossley in Bovina Center, NY. Next one is scheduled for 2015 at the same place. Kind regards, cousin Kevin.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions