Search for content in message boards

Cape Breton Newfoundlanders

Cape Breton Newfoundlanders

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 10:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've been doing my research for many years but have now just found out that you can find newfoundlanders entering Canada on the Ancestry.ca site Border Crossings USA to Canada 1908-1935. I've used Border Crossings before finding the ones who went to the Boston States,but now this adds another aspect.
It shows the actual immigration document also

Re: Cape Breton Newfoundlanders

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 11:12AM GMT
My Newfoundland Hartign ancestors always used the phrase, "Boston States". Many of them left NL and settled in and around Boston and Detroit but went through Nova Scotia first as that seemed to be the passenger ship route.

Re: Cape Breton Newfoundlanders

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 10:04PM GMT
These people travelled by ship to North Sydney but other stops are mentioned -louisbourg, Sydney, Halifax;but the interesting find was that they signed their Immigration papers here but they are posted on the USA - Canada border crossings so that you really have to stumble across it, as they are not entering the USA just entering Canada.
Before the Caribou they used the S.S. Kyle.
Anyone going on to the Boston States usually went through Vanceboro Maine by train
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions